FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:32 am
Stranger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenSenise
Wow, what a bunch of wine snobs!

what does the price of a bottle have to do with whether you would serve it to company or not? i've bought bottles of bordeaux here that were $50 and absolutely foul. So foul that I could not drink them and I poured them down the drain. Should I serve those anyway or a great tasting $20-25 bottle of wine?

I find it hard to believe that people could judge what should or shouldn't be served in AC J solely by its price. There are many great wines that are inexpensive and loads of lousy wines that are expensive.
Obviously it's not solely by price. This said, I don't find that there is a better indicator of quality than price. To start with, there is a definite significant connection between production cost and quality. Yield being an important factor. Soil too.

Obviously exceptions happen, and there are better and worse wines at comparable prices, but only within reason. But if a $50 bottle is absolutely foul, then the issue is likely with that particular bottle, not the wine itself.

What can happen is that for similar prices, wines from a less known region end up better. But that's clearly not the issue here. Already factored in, and the AC selection is actually not bad for the price, not bad at all. But that does not make it acceptable.

Bottom line: I would not have taken the job of AC sommelier given their budget.