Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingcrooked
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about claiming compensation under EU or UK rules (a.k.a. EU261, EC261 or 'UK261'), this is the correct thread.

For information on which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

EU/UK 261:

- EU261 legislation predates Brexit, but post-Brexit the UK has retained the substance of the law; the UK version is informally known as UK261

- flights must be operated by an EU/UK carrier, or be departing the EU/UK (so any LH flight, anywhere, counts, but an AC flight counts only when departing the UK/EU)

- for claims under UK261, if you get nowhere with Air Canada you can file with AviationADR, an alternative dispute resolution service, this is relatively easy and there is no charge

- although EU Court rulings on the interpretation of EU261 are not binding on the interpretation of UK261, they are typically/often followed. For complicated or nuanced situations, the BA thread on EU261/UK261 is the most authoritative on flyertalk for EU/UK 261 issues.

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2024, 5:38 am

Programs: TK E+, AC 25K, A3 S, UA S, BoNVoY TE
EU261 - Email or Web-Tool?

Hello FT Community,

My first time needing to submit a claim under EU261. My question is should I use the "Flight Disruption Compensation Eligibility Tool" on the Air Canada web-page or submit an email/feedback inquiry via the customer service page? With the Flight Disruption Compensation Eligibility Tool, does it give one the opportunity to specify a claim under EU261 and not the Canada APPR? My concern is the tool will default to the latter (APPR) and I definitely wish to claim under EU261. Specifics: AC FRA-YUL cancelled due to cancelled in-bound A/C (mechanical), re-routed with 6+ hours delay in departure & arrival time.

Last edited by YOW_RTW; May 19, 2024 at 5:39 am Reason: typo
Old May 19, 2024, 6:54 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Hello FT Community,

My first time needing to submit a claim under EU261. My question is should I use the "Flight Disruption Compensation Eligibility Tool" on the Air Canada web-page or submit an email/feedback inquiry via the customer service page? With the Flight Disruption Compensation Eligibility Tool, does it give one the opportunity to specify a claim under EU261 and not the Canada APPR? My concern is the tool will default to the latter (APPR) and I definitely wish to claim under EU261. Specifics: AC FRA-YUL cancelled due to cancelled in-bound A/C (mechanical), re-routed with 6+ hours delay in departure & arrival time.
I made a successful claim a couple months ago (post 178) and it was pretty painless. I had the same fear that the eligibility tool would default to APPR, so I used the customer service page. I picked options that looked close enough but which don't direct you to the eligibility tool. I think I used "flight delay", "at the airport", "other", and then there was a text box to enter a description. I received an email within a day or two, was told to wait a couple weeks, followed up by email, and had the interac transfer a day or two later. Good luck!
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by YOW_RTW
Hello FT Community,

I filed two claims recently one that was eligible for APPR but not EU261 (outbound AC YYZ-MUC) and one that was eligible for EU261 and, I presume, APPR (LHR-YYZ). I did use the flight disruption tool and I dont think it gives the option of requesting a particular governing rule. I received what I expected: APPR for the first and EU261 for the second. And AC responded relatively timely. Received checks about 6 weeks later. You can read about the drama upthread and in the AC comp thread.
yulscs likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.