Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingcrooked
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about claiming compensation under EU or UK rules (a.k.a. EU261, EC261 or 'UK261'), this is the correct thread.

For information on which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

EU/UK 261:

- EU261 legislation predates Brexit, but post-Brexit the UK has retained the substance of the law; the UK version is informally known as UK261

- flights must be operated by an EU/UK carrier, or be departing the EU/UK (so any LH flight, anywhere, counts, but an AC flight counts only when departing the UK/EU)

- for claims under UK261, if you get nowhere with Air Canada you can file with AviationADR, an alternative dispute resolution service, this is relatively easy and there is no charge

- although EU Court rulings on the interpretation of EU261 are not binding on the interpretation of UK261, they are typically/often followed. For complicated or nuanced situations, the BA thread on EU261/UK261 is the most authoritative on flyertalk for EU/UK 261 issues.

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So I swear I read something about some precedent being set that any flight on an ex-EU itinerary would be subject to a compensation ("One significant change happened in 2019, in that the CJEU allowed for the first time non EU sectors on non EU airlines to be potential" from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html)

I flew:
SK ARN-LHR
AC LHR-YYZ
AC YYZ-SFO

YYZ-SFO was cancelled, and I'm delayed way more than 6 hours. I'm pretty sure based on what I quoted above that this would be eligible for compensation, but I can't find the specific precedent other than that quote, and I have no experience dealing with these claims at all.

Any advice or pointers?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So I swear I read something about some precedent being set that any flight on an ex-EU itinerary would be subject to a compensation ("One significant change happened in 2019, in that the CJEU allowed for the first time non EU sectors on non EU airlines to be potential" from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html)

I flew:
SK ARN-LHR
AC LHR-YYZ
AC YYZ-SFO

YYZ-SFO was cancelled, and I'm delayed way more than 6 hours. I'm pretty sure based on what I quoted above that this would be eligible for compensation, but I can't find the specific precedent other than that quote, and I have no experience dealing with these claims at all.

Any advice or pointers?
Check your eligibility
https://www.airhelp.com/en/
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bcard519
Check your eligibility
https://www.airhelp.com/en/
That says I'm eligible, thanks. Note to others: they charge a 35% fee to handle your claim.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
That says I'm eligible, thanks. Note to others: they charge a 35% fee to handle your claim.
I wasn't saying use them , but I know eligibility is tricky sometimes.
The EU actually cares about passengers rights unlike in Canada. I know when I fly a complaint via the USDOT website the airlines will give me more compensation and faster.

Air Passenger rights are a joke in Canada. The most powerful body in the CTA is Air Canada lol.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
YYZ-SFO was cancelled, and I'm delayed way more than 6 hours
Plenty of alternate routings YYZ-SFO. Did you ask go thru Europe, Asia, or Mexico?
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:27 pm

I ended up submitting my claim through airhelp.com (note: they take a 35% cut).

AC cancelling a YYZ-SFO was just too far from "obvious EC 261" that I didn't want to have a massive back-and-forth with AC over it.

I'm still not convinced I'll get anything out of this. I'm sure this will end up in court (note: they take an additional 15% if court is required).

But 300 for 10 minutes of my time seems better than 600 for many many hours.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:26 pm

AirHelp got it done. In hindsight, I think I could have done it myself. I figured AC would fight it too hard.

So uh my advice for others I guess is to try it yourself first, and only use a service if AC says no.
YYC3722 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
AirHelp got it done. In hindsight, I think I could have done it myself. I figured AC would fight it too hard.

So uh my advice for others I guess is to try it yourself first, and only use a service if AC says no.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:03 pm

I received a check yesterday for $703 USD. Pretty painless once it was all approved.

But a friend who was on the exact same itinerary was denied by AC. So not always painless.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I received a check yesterday for $703 USD. Pretty painless once it was all approved.

But a friend who was on the exact same itinerary was denied by AC. So not always painless.
Out of curiosity, is that friend also SE?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Out of curiosity, is that friend also SE?
Yes.

Are there other kinds of friends?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Tell that to my negative connecting in LHR thats been sitting around for 3 months, travel is suppoed to be in 4 weeks .....
So here's a question rankourabu ... let's say they never fix it, and I show up at check-in with an itinerary that technically gets me to SFO at 1047. And they say "whoa whoa this doesn't work" and rebooks me, day of departure, on another routing that definitely does not get me to SFO within 6 hours of that.

Am I eligible for EC261?
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Am I eligible for EC261?
That is a lawyer question. I have no idea. But I can definitely see your argument for it!

In my case its XXX-LHR-YYZ with the first leg on a different airline. That flight is still a go. But AC first changed and then dropped the afternoon LHR-YYZ. Clicking view other flights does nothing.
I suspect the first airline would not let me go until the ticket is fixed.
As it is, this is a good opportunity to cancel for a refund for me, and use my backup ticket that day

Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
I'm quite unhappy with how AC has been handling the aftermath of my ATH-YUL-LAX travel in June this year.

Ticketed in J, ATH-YUL was delayed by an hour or so. Then YUL-LAX delayed by two hours. All-in-all, I got to LAX about 3.5h late. (Without one of my bags, which they eventually declared lost. But that's another issue.)

First segment was delayed because of a "security issue from an earlier flight which is causing the late arrival of the aircraft that is scheduled to operate your flight." Second segment, " due to additional time needed to board customers with a late connection or arrival and complete the check-in processes at the airport gate", then "due to additional time needed for health and safety initiatives." It was a mad house at YUL transit point.

I filed an EC261 claim with AC. They first denied it outright because "In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by an event outside of our control.
" Baloney! I complained, second time they repeated this generic response, but also offered me 20% off future flight base fare as a "gesture of good will". Oh, sure.

Together with dealing with the lost bag, this is taking way too much of my time but I also do not want to give up. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:15 pm

I need to file for EU261 compensation with Air Canada, but (surprise, surprise) perusing their website does not yield an obvious mechanism for doing so. Can a kind should post a link to an online form or otherwise to info on where to submit the claim? Adam Smith , is there a way to put such a link in a sticky at the top of this thread?

Edited to add: I found this link for submitting a claim, but it doesn't give me the option to specify under which regulatory regime I want to pursue it... This is not a choice I want to leave in AC's hands.

Last edited by blue2002; Aug 24, 2022 at 2:42 pm Reason: link added

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.