Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyingcrooked
AC Delayed/Cancelled Flight Compensation Threads

There are several threads on compensation for delayed/cancelled flights operated by AC.

If your question is about claiming compensation under EU or UK rules (a.k.a. EU261, EC261 or 'UK261'), this is the correct thread.

For information on which regime(s) you're eligible for compensation under, or which would be more favourable, please see: Air Canada Compensation For Delayed/Cancelled Flights

For information regarding APPR (Canadian regulations), please see: Claiming compensation from AC under APPR (Air Passenger Protection Regulations)

EU/UK 261:

- EU261 legislation predates Brexit, but post-Brexit the UK has retained the substance of the law; the UK version is informally known as UK261

- flights must be operated by an EU/UK carrier, or be departing the EU/UK (so any LH flight, anywhere, counts, but an AC flight counts only when departing the UK/EU)

- for claims under UK261, if you get nowhere with Air Canada you can file with AviationADR, an alternative dispute resolution service, this is relatively easy and there is no charge

- although EU Court rulings on the interpretation of EU261 are not binding on the interpretation of UK261, they are typically/often followed. For complicated or nuanced situations, the BA thread on EU261/UK261 is the most authoritative on flyertalk for EU/UK 261 issues.

Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Claiming EU261 Compensation from AC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.
Hey folks - apologies, I couldn't see an answer further up on the thread, but I'd like to put a claim through under UK passenger rights (which mirror the EC261 rules). AC states you can only claim either via APPR or UKPR, but the claim form which is to be found after the eligibility checker doesn't allow for specifying which rules I'd like the claim to be handled under.

Also, does anyone know whether AC is signed up to any arbitration services, or how does one escalate compensation claims if AC decides not to play ball? (the eligibility checker has already given me a hint of that...)

All the best
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by George K
Hey folks - apologies, I couldn't see an answer further up on the thread, but I'd like to put a claim through under UK passenger rights (which mirror the EC261 rules). AC states you can only claim either via APPR or UKPR, but the claim form which is to be found after the eligibility checker doesn't allow for specifying which rules I'd like the claim to be handled under.

Also, does anyone know whether AC is signed up to any arbitration services, or how does one escalate compensation claims if AC decides not to play ball? (the eligibility checker has already given me a hint of that...)

All the best
I had the same issue. I wanted to make a claim under EC261/2004 for a delayed arrival due to maintenance and used the eligibility checker on the website. I was somewhat confused when the auto-reply I received from AC's customer service after submitting the claim only referred to the APPR as it wasn't clear to me whether AC used the term APPR for passenger rights in general or specifically in respect of the Canadian APPR only.
To be on the safe side, I replied to their message and stated that my claim was made specifically under EC261/2004 and not under the Canadian APPR. Not sure if this made any difference but about 10 days later I received an e-mail that they accept my claim under EC 261/2004 and they asked for my bank details to wire transfer EUR 600 within 21 days.
George K likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Not sure if anyone has suggestions or if we should just go to Airhelp. My parents were on AC 821 BCN-YYZ on May 28. Flight departed approximately 8 hours late and the Eligibility Tool is denying compensation by claiming an "external labour dispute".

First question is my parents applied for compensation online and even though they were on the same PNR, AC offered my father a 15% discount and my mother a $250 credit. Is there any way to dispute this compensation and ask for compensation under EU261 or is it too late?

Second question is whether there's still anyway to get a record of other flight departures from May 28. According to my parents, it seemed like all other flights left on time so not sure how a labour dispute would affect only the AC flight.

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro
I submitted to AC through their online claim/feedback form for an EU261 claim due to an involuntary downgrade on 7/25. No response on the case. Since it has been over 30 days, would a follow up be the best next step here (and thus creating another Case #)?

edit: followed up; was resolved to my satisfaction

Last edited by onetouchpass; Nov 26, 2023 at 7:40 am Reason: resolved
Old Nov 26, 2023, 1:40 am

Tried to do a claim directly with AC on a CDG-YYZ flight. They made up a reason to refuse that I don't believe, not that I can really verify as a consumer. Filed a claim with Airhelp in July. Unsurprisingly, they heard no response from AC and are going the legal action route (which will be a hit to my compensation if successful, but no cost to me if they lose). Now at the "filed the lawsuit" and "SUMMONS SENT" stage.

When going through Airhelp, I wondered if subscribing to AirHelp plus would be worth it (since they don't take a cut), but I've now learned the legal action route can take years, so it wouldn't be worth it when you're using them as a secondary compensation route. And if you lose your claim, you're still out your fees for Airhelp plus.
Old Nov 27, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Finally had success with this process.
11/9 - 4:20 delay on CDG-YYZ, (hotel gave me a nice late checkout, so got in a run and a café stop!)
11/14 - submitted AC claim form
11/26 - received notice of successful claim of 600EUR
11/27 - received eTransfer for $875CAD

Very pleased with the effort/value return, considering frustration with previous attempts ex-Canada.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Wanted to pass on some details from a recent, successful claim invoking EU261 (well, the UK version), as they may benefit others and haven't been mentioned upthread I think.

Was booked EDI-YYZ-YOW back in May, with a 9am departure and 2pm arrival. About 6 days before the flight AC cancelled the EDI-YYZ flight and rebooked me the same day EDI-FRA-YYZ-YOW, with the first segment on LH and a 6am departure. I filed for compensation citing EU/UK261, which requires compensation given my new departure time was more than an hour earlier than originally scheduled. I got a reply saying I wasn't due compensation because my arrival in Ottawa wasn't delayed. I replied pointing out the exact part of the UK law that requires compensation for an early departure and the agent basically told me to go pound sand, no delay = no compensation. I don't know whether he really was ignorant of the law that binds AC in this case (bad) or was just lying (also bad).

I finally got around to filing with AviationADR in late October, specifically mentioning the law plus an EU court ruling that interpreted the regulation as requiring a 520GBP instead of halved compensation of 260GBP (which some readings of the law would suggest). The EU ruling is not binding in the UK but a UK court could be persuaded by the same reasoning. The process with AviationADR was very simple and costs nothing.

Just today got an email from AC saying that upon further review, they are sending me 520GBP ($870 CAD).

I strongly suggest AC flyers considering EU/UK 261 issues should consult the BA thread on compensation for anything that isn't straightforward. Folks there were immensely helpful, e.g. pointing out the EU ruling and suggesting I pursue 520GBP rather than 260GBP, which I'd been inclined to do based on how I read the law!
D404 likes this.

Last edited by flyingcrooked; Dec 28, 2023 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
Below was my itinerary. Ticket purchased directly from Air Canada

GOT - FRA operated by Lufthansa
FRA - YYZ operated by Air Canada
YYZ - YQB operated by Air Canada

The GOT - FRA flight was delayed and I missed my connection in FRA and eventually arrived in YQB roughly 21 hours delayed.

Submitted a claim with Air Canada but they referred me to Lufthansa since they were the operator of the delayed flight. Trying to figure out if I need to keep pushing Air Canada or if I should reach out to Lufthansa.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SweFlyer
Below was my itinerary. Ticket purchased directly from Air Canada

GOT - FRA operated by Lufthansa
FRA - YYZ operated by Air Canada
YYZ - YQB operated by Air Canada

The GOT - FRA flight was delayed and I missed my connection in FRA and eventually arrived in YQB roughly 21 hours delayed.

Submitted a claim with Air Canada but they referred me to Lufthansa since they were the operator of the delayed flight. Trying to figure out if I need to keep pushing Air Canada or if I should reach out to Lufthansa.
I had a similar situation. Likewise, AC sent me to LH. Which did not argue and paid as per APPR. A bit less than EU261/004. The difference was not that big so I decided not worth arguing further.

If dealing with AC they would surely find the problem was safety-related and deny anyway... LH appears to be more straightforward.
SweFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by SweFlyer
Trying to figure out if I need to keep pushing Air Canada or if I should reach out to Lufthansa.
It's an issue for LH, given they were responsible for the misconnect.
nli007 and SweFlyer like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I am trying to figure out how to file a claim for the following:

Award ticket on ANA

MSP-YYZ-MUC-OPO (AC for all but last leg). I have already filed a APPR complaint via AC for their YYZ-MUC delay, which caused mis connection on LH and rerouted via LIS on TP. 10 hours delayed. Bag delayed 3 days in YYZ (I only know that bc of AirTag). I filed that with both AC and TP.

LIS-LHR (TP)-LHR-YYZ-MSP (LHR onwards on AC). AC LHR-YYZ canceled then rebook delayed 10 hours overnight. Total delay about 16 hours. When I go onto AC website and enter ticket number it only shows the outbound to Europe. No option to submit for the return. Do I need to do this via TP even though that flight was not the issue?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I am trying to figure out how to file a claim for the following:

LIS-LHR (TP)-LHR-YYZ-MSP (LHR onwards on AC). AC LHR-YYZ canceled then rebook delayed 10 hours overnight. Total delay about 16 hours. When I go onto AC website and enter ticket number it only shows the outbound to Europe. No option to submit for the return. Do I need to do this via TP even though that flight was not the issue?
You file this with AC, as it was an AC operated flight that was disrupted. If you can't get their website to work then file a 'general feedback' claim or submit via postal mail.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: AC E75K
Success with EC261

Pleased to report that the EC261 claim process is pretty painless these days. Based on a 3:05 hour delay on AC871 on March 23, I received this morning an eTransfer for $440 (almost exactly 300 EUR at today's spot-rate). Just under 3 weeks, all conducted by email, no fuss.
I was not offered a higher-valued eCoupon, as some have been, which is unfortunate as I likely would have taken it, but I'm happy with the outcome.
CanadianMike likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yulscs
Pleased to report that the EC261 claim process is pretty painless these days. Based on a 3:05 hour delay on AC871 on March 23, I received this morning an eTransfer for $440 (almost exactly 300 EUR at today's spot-rate). Just under 3 weeks, all conducted by email, no fuss.
I was not offered a higher-valued eCoupon, as some have been, which is unfortunate as I likely would have taken it, but I'm happy with the outcome.
I wish they'd offered me an eTransfer instead of cheque. Would be much faster. Maybe bc I'm in US?

DP: I was not offered an eCoupon on my EU261 claim, but WAS offered a 1200CAD eCoupon (instead of 1000CAD) on my APPR claim. I chose the latter.
OSSYULYYZ and yulscs like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 10:49 am

I made a few changes to the wiki, including making clear this thread is for both EU and UK claims (the thread predates Brexit).
vancouver25k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.