Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 10:09 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
My gut feeling is AC transports a LOT of cargo on the YYZ-HKG flights despite any trade deficit existing... CX has dedicated cargo aircraft and probably just has to worry about pax+bags on their nonstop 77Ws.

CX YYZ based 777 pilot told me it was very rare to have weight restrictions, yet most AC 77W flights I've been on YYZ-HKG (and there have been quite a number over the years... maybe 4) I hear "load restriction" from the agents or FAs. Probably leaving behind standbys.
As 'big' Ben (as we call him) mentioned, we recently increased our MTOW. To my knowledge this wasn't a material change in terms of aircraft 'hardware' but rather certifications and paperwork. With this increased MTOW we are able to fly routes with this plane that we were not able to before without restriction (others, such as YVRSYD, may still not be feasible without a tech stop).
Old May 15, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Both coming.
Awesome. In that case you guys should ensure to come down next year. This year I was looking around the room and realized that if you won I was probably going to have to give a speech :P
Old May 15, 2014, 10:13 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwflyer
+1

I would also like to hear some rationale on AC's expansion of rouge routes to LAX and SFO from YVR/YYC. Do you really believe these routes are more leisure heavy than business/premium pax? As well, making Elites 50K having to purchase a flex fare for preferred seating is really a slap in the face for their loyalty. I would strongly suggest looking at the UA model for Economy Plus which gives a tiered window for upgrading to E+ and a copay for those without status is a better model to achieve both profitability and Altitude member satisfaction.

Also Ben, I'm glad to see your presence on here ( would like to see more of that). However as a marketer, I just need to point out AC Altitude's dismal performance of top down messaging (which one cannot control on the internet) and instead be seen to be engaging in honest discussions and not rehashing press release talking points that insult the intelligence.

A honest casual coffeeshop style conversation where you are able to explain the rationale for changes would be much more welcomed, and be more interactive. Having AC rouge delete negative reviews on your facebook, twitter, and tripadvisor clearly shows that your PR teams feels they can control the message (when they cannot) and makes the story about AC's communication behaviour than having an honest discussion with your (best) customers.
We delete posts that are openly offensive, if they contain profanity or are personal. These are fairly standard guidelines for monitoring and managing social media postings.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:14 pm
Flying Blue Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polarpacific
Hello Ben

Could you please ask the AC department responsible for the website to include Singapore on the drop-down list for Country of Residence.

I have been asking about this periodically for at least 5 years but still no action.

As it stands, it is not possible to make an AC booking online as a Singapore resident, or use a credit-card with Singapore address.

Thanks
I will pass on your comments.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:41 pm

Sensationalist journalism, nothing more.

It's called reporting. Just because AC thought it could lecture the EIAA and the letter got leaked doesn't make it "sensationalist."

Your CEO wouldn't have come out for the post-letter meeting.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rehoult
Couldn't agree more with this. Re-branding as Flex is one of the more ambitious spin attempts I've seen and made me wonder if there were bets in RM on how much BS could be pulled in one go. With a $200 change fee to the US, I can't imagine a word that suits it less than 'Flex'.

OTOH, if you changed it to add free SDC, you could now better justify the (sometime) significant Tango-Flex difference while also being able to call it Flex without laughing.
+1 to free SDC. This would definitely justify the larger cost differential, especially to non-Altitude members who don't care about upgrades or the extra 50% AQM.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
IMEX on Tuesday?

Unfortunately I have to be in FRA on Tuesday, otherwise I would have loved to go! We have an employee event on Sunday and I can't go that one either
Old May 15, 2014, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
We delete posts that are openly offensive, if they contain profanity or are personal. These are fairly standard guidelines for monitoring and managing social media postings.
I am sorry but I have to call BS on that. Having monitored your Facebook and Twitter and Tripadvisor feeds, there were many, many negative posts that were not offensive (yet were still deleted). Many people complained to Tripadvisor who then restored some of the comments (which happened at the same time as the other social media deletions). AC actions of attempting to control the message causes much worse PR damage than leaving them there. And frankly, the story then becomes AC has something to hide.

My point is top down messaging (where you stand at a podium) with a megaphone does NOT work. Sitting at the table where you have a voice (amongst) many, DOES work.

AC Rouge stated their facebook feeds are for marketing purposes only, yet AC Rouge needs to understand marketing is so much MORE than just promotion. It is interactive, dynamic, and covers all touchpoints a customer/prospect has with your brand. The marketer no longer has the megaphone, and trying to cut off people's mics is NOT a sustainable competitive strategy.

We appreciate your presence here, but I think you should rethink your social media strategy when the general public post a legitimate negative review. This is one of the tradeoffs if a company wants to use social media. You do not have control of the message.

I strongly suggest you pass that on to Mr Landry, and whomever else is responsible for marketing communications strategy.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Wow. I've been away for a few days and we get official AC presence (again). Good stuff!

My biggest beef is with the overloading of overhead bins with people who bring oversize carry-ons and/or multiple pieces. Have you considered enforcing the carry-on requirements (a la United) so everyone brings reasonably sized items on board?
Old May 16, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
This is a challenging one.
Flyers and companies are often in conflict over how best to manage travel costs. It always amazes me how well paid employees are often forced to wait or take less optimal routings to save small amounts of money which in my books is false economy. The strong desire of many travel managers, corporate fulfilment houses and GDS companies to try and commoditize travel makes it challenging for us to offer you as many choices as possible. However we will continue to try and expand our choice offerings so that travellers and companies can customize their purchases to match their individual needs.
Hopefully I can add some perspective to the above discussion. I am the internal auditor for a midsize public company that is Calgary based with operations in USA, South America, Australia, Mid East, and contract manufacturing in china. I am also a frequent flyer for trips to the USA and Canada. I see both sides of the coin as frequent traveller and travel policy compliance.

For my company we fly flex fare economy class for flights within North America and paid business for flights over five hours with VP approval.

Like all international companies, we have the usual assortment of Road warriors(small group), occasional traveller with 1-3 business trips, and desk bound employee. The problem facing our company is rooted in the fact that more employees are transitioning from desk bound to occasional traveller status. The new occasional flyer is travelling with the road warrior and they want the same perks. The road warrior pays for flex fare are gets upgraded due to status. However the occasional flyer tries to get paid j with VP approval under the business case the occasional traveller is working with the road warrior and they have long legs. Internal audit and the CFO are looking at the travel cost escalation, however the only way to cost optimizen is to move everyone to Tango class, a decision my company has not implemented yet. Our travel costs are increasing because the larger occasional travel group does not have the FFP status of the road warrior.

The internal audit solution to the ballooning travel cost problem is to recommend the company offer preferred seats to all employees and crack down on paid business class for flights under five hours. However writing the business case is very hard because the aircanada.com website is very poor at describing the various seat and cabin choices. For example the preferred seating we page is too text oriented for inclusion into the IA report, so I have to creat my own executive summary and descriptions. Also the cabin description on the information and services section is out of date. What I would like to see is a one page description for all of Air Canada seats and services in a format that I can present to executive managers.

If I can't write the internal audit report for preferred seats cause it's too much effort, then I have to take out the easy button and recommend that all employees travel is conducted on tango fare class. I do not want to go down this route.

Ben and Ben , Feel free to PM me if you want a more professional description.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:15 am

Second request is specific to the YYC-IAH route. What would it take to get the E90 onto this route to replace CRA. The flight is nearly four hours and the CRA is too cramped for a flight of this length. UA puts 737s on this run and they take the lions share of the company travel budget. However a lot of flyers in my office would take AC option if better equipment we're put onto the route.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:19 am

Third and final request.

What would it take to gets specific UA routes into the flight pass program. For example if the western continental flight pass we're able to offer YYC-DEN services, then my company would buy a lot of them.

I realize that offer the full UA network is not possible, but certain specific route (YYC-IAH and DeN would really help out pulling more travel over to AC. For example we also fly to YYZ and YHZ very frequently with about half the travellers going WS.
Old May 16, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
I just wanted to say thank you to both Bens for your replies to the posts on here. I know a lot of people (I don't necessarily mean people on here, just in general), are very quick to be vocal about complaints. However, I think it is equally important to recognize and acknowledge when something is done well - so a big thank you to both of you. It is very much appreciated. :-)
Old May 16, 2014, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Point taken, but consider that the segment of the FF population that actively hangs about on here probably hovers around 1%. Even if you are active and are on here every day, there are thousands of others who are not. So if we were to publish the upgrade scheme, and if that managed to somehow integrate itself into the minds of all of our customers, that is the list by which they would expect to be upgraded.

Now, I'm sure many of you have met the DYKWIA types, indeed there are numerous threads on here illustrating their behaviour in their natural habitat; if you then take it one step further and assume the DYKWIA knows the 'old' upgrade system but hasn't yet familiarised him- or herself with the 'new' one -- well I'm sure you can imagine the scene that would unfold at the boarding gate. (Of course later to be transposed on here and met with a series of )
I recall a famous Queens marketing prof who always said: ''having a clear value proposition is never a bad thing''. Another prof (also at Queens) always said that your best customers are almost always representative for a much larger sample of its customer base when it comes to AIO (attitudes, interests, and opinions). Both taught at the undergraduate level as well. Never hesitated to hire marketing grads from Queens as they always understood those fundamental marketing principles.
Old May 16, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Good day Ben,
Can you make any comment on any change to the MM program. Presently the 50K lifetime is not worth it and needs to change to at least E75. I also would like to see the 2MM plateau changed as it's a complete waste to me and others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.