Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Presence on FT

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 6:43 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks! That sounds good news - though itīs too bad AC didnīt take the AA approach and keep the 3-3-3 config in Y+. I guess my preferred pairs of seats (18A/B and 18 J/K) will also disappear.

If I may ask for one improvement this year: Could you please introduce seat-blocking for SEs (and possibly other elites) or at least not release all the preferred seats at T-24h?
We decided to make the investment and go with a full blown Premium Economy product instead of the US airline and KL style (mostly pitch" product

Our current Y+ (preferred seat will continue to be offered)
Old May 15, 2014, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben Smith
We decided to make the investment and go with a full blown Premium Economy product instead of the US airline and KL style (mostly pitch" product

Our current Y+ (preferred seat will continue to be offered)
Y+ with a somewhat comfortable seat width and a real PE product arenīt mutually exclusive.

But I can see how AC would want to have a sufficient gap in terms of quality and comfort between Y+ and PE.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:52 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Thanks! That sounds good news - though itīs too bad AC didnīt take the AA approach and keep the 3-3-3 config in Y+. I guess my preferred pairs of seats (18A/B and 18 J/K) will also disappear.

If I may ask for one improvement this year: Could you please introduce seat-blocking for SEs (and possibly other elites) or at least not release all the preferred seats at T-24h?
Additional tier benefits such as the one you describe are high on our to do list but unfortunately very costly with long timelines to implement due to some of our legacy systems. I can tell you it will eventually be offered but not this year.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Additional tier benefits such as the one you describe are high on our to do list but unfortunately very costly with long timelines to implement due to some of our legacy systems. I can tell you it will eventually be offered but not this year.
Thanks for the response. Iīm not surprised implementing "real" seat blocking can be tricky with the legacy systems, but I would have assumed a simpler solution such as to just not auto-release all preferred seats at T-24h would be much easier to implement?
Old May 15, 2014, 7:00 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by agjil
I said this in a couple of other threads, but why do people claim the number of J seats will be significantly reduced after a retrofit when there's nothing to support it?
Do you actually want this to happen? (assuming you are concerned about the upgrade chances.)
Thanks to Ben, now we have a pretty good picture of what the retrofit will result in, and hopefully the meaningless claims can stop now.
We would like to continue to offer a best in class (NA based airlines) Business Class product. The number of seats is always tricky to optimize because of the long list of variables that must be balanced to produce a commercially viable product.
Demand/Competition/Customer base desires etc
Old May 15, 2014, 7:01 pm

The 777HD and rouge will help position us to regain a sustainable position in these markets....

...YVR-Hawaii we went from majority share to minority share
There you have it. Confirmation Hawaii will go Rouge! Any insight if it will happen this winter or not?
Old May 15, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

rouge is designed to complement AC and adjust the product to the market yield reality in leisure markets - we will continue to offer many of the Air Canada family benefits on rouge (mileage accumulation/redemption, Altitude status recognition, connectivity to mainline, premium ground products where applicable, IFE and various seating/cabin options)
While I can see the rationale behind Rouge, I think AC took it one step too far by eliminating proper J seats. I think many FFers wouldnīt be nearly as upset if AC had kept 3 rows with proper J seats in a 2-2 config and not that sad excuse of a J product (uncomfortable Y seats in a 3-3 config with middle-seat blocked).

With a few rows of Y+ and proper J seat Rouge would be tolerable, as it is Iīll avoid the product whenever possible.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:09 pm
formerly with Air Canada

While I can see the rationale behind Rouge, I think AC took it one step too far by eliminating proper J seats. I think many FFers wouldnīt be nearly as upset if AC had kept 3 rows with proper J seats in a 2-2 config and not that sad excuse of a J product (uncomfortable Y seats in a 3-3 config with middle-seat blocked).

With a few rows of Y+ and proper J seat Rouge would be tolerable, as it is Iīll avoid the product whenever possible.
We came very close to not offering any differentiated product at all (seat pitch options only)
Premium rouge is different to mainline J - because we are selling an integrated network and support GDS and eventually code-share the positioning of Premium rouge seems to sometimes get confused as mainline J. We are working on ways to address this and we are also looking at improved pricing options for Premium rouge as well.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:12 pm

Exact details and seat maps will be released in Q4 of 2014 and not now (for competitive reasons)
Thanks for all the info. But if you could reconsider so people booking tickets far in advance know what product they are paying for, it would be respected by many here.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:14 pm
formerly with Air Canada

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
Thanks for all the info. But if you could reconsider so people booking tickets far in advance know what product they are paying for, it would be respected by many here.
We will release once the affected flights are in the booking window. Due to long lead times for new seats the first aircraft will not be converted until Q4 2015.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:16 pm

We will release once the affected flights are in the booking window. Due to long lead times for new seats the first aircraft will not be converted until Q4 2015.
^^

I assumed the 77W was operating YYZ-HKG just for this winter to handle conversions, is the 77W going to stay YYZ-HKG?
Old May 15, 2014, 7:21 pm
formerly with Air Canada

^^

I assumed the 77W was operating YYZ-HKG just for this winter to handle conversions, is the 77W going to stay YYZ-HKG?
We have recently increased the MTOW on our 2007-2009 build 77Ws enabling higher payloads in particular cargo on our ultra-longhaul flights. With this increased MTOW you can expect to see much more flexibility in how the 77W/77L fleets are deployed. In addition during the retrofit period there will be some instances when the deployment is non-optimal.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Kudos

^ to Ben Lipsey for adding value to the AC forum for us. I hope it continues.

^ to Ben Smith for jumping in offering clarification and insights into several hot topics. It is much appreciated!
Old May 15, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC Elite 50K
^^

I didn't I just figured demand was at that point. Ill confess when I go to HK - though I fly AC a lot - I fly CX via YYZ. They operate 777-3, so I don't get what all of the range fuss is about. If CX is doing tech stops left right and centre I think I'd have heard about it by now, and the thing is always 100% full. And cargo from Canada to that region would be lowish due to our trade deficit with the block, and the fact that much of the fish still ends up in Japan. I just think AC probably has the passenger numbers there to fill it regularly, first time I went in 06 didn't matter who you chose you got a tech stop/cnx.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC 2MMSE, Fairmont Platinum, SPG Platinum,M&More HON
Ben; great addition to these boards, please stop buy more often as and if your schedule permits. Can you confirm when will the new YUL MLL International Lounge be completed and what will be the new offerings in this Lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.