Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by tireman77
The time you 'lose' while waiting at the carousel you will gain in shorter boarding times, more on time departures and less missed connections.
Sounds good in principle but your theory doesn't take into account arriving internationally in YYZ where checked vs carry on is the difference between catching a connection or having to potentially wait hours for the next flight to your final destination. It also doesn't take into account the flexibility that results from not having checked baggage in the system during IRROPS. If my bag is by my side there are far more options available to me when things go sideways.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:22 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by YEG2MM
I wonder what the average is for golf clubs. And, when I wait until the last bag drops, to determine that my clubs didn't make it, the person at the baggage counter always has a note letting them know where my clubs are. If they know, they should have a system to tell me when I get off the plane. I am more than happy to leave and have them deliver my clubs to the course.
That would be an ideal system, but with tens of millions of passengers through each of most major airports matching all bags to all passengers in real time would be a difficult IT fix. Maybe in the future.

In the meantime, maybe try a GPS luggage tracker like this (http://www.pocketfinder.com/gps-loca...ge-and-travel/) I randomly googled this one and have no experience or testimonial, but I've met people who've tried some and they work great. You land and the app tell you if your clubs will be there or not.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
As others have pointed out, if baggage was delivered timely, without damage etc. people would regain trust in checking their luggage and additional carry-on baggage. This doesn't solve the problem that someone like myself and others that are routinely on a 2 or 3 day business trip NEVER check in luggage.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by 4havnfun
Sounds good in principle but your theory doesn't take into account arriving internationally in YYZ where checked vs carry on is the difference between catching a connection or having to potentially wait hours for the next flight to your final destination. It also doesn't take into account the flexibility that results from not having checked baggage in the system during IRROPS. If my bag is by my side there are far more options available to me when things go sideways.
Agreed. My point was people are complaining about having to gate check carry-ons. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you choose to carry on, then you have to live with the garbage that it entails. I also have to live with the delays and long boarding times as people try to cram suitcases into overhead bins even though I don't contribute to the problem...hence my current venting.

So then people complain that planes have too many seats versus the number of overhead bins. AA tried to sell the concept of 'More Room Throughout Coach in 2000, but the market showed them people weren't really willing to pay more for more room, even if they said they were.

I understand that online forums are basically 85% complaining, 12% bragging and 3% useful information, but seriously... can we please get over the fact that airlines are there to make a profit, not to cater to your needs. When they go off course, they will lose customers and adjust as needed.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by SEMM
As others have pointed out, if baggage was delivered timely, without damage etc. people would regain trust in checking their luggage and additional carry-on baggage. This doesn't solve the problem that someone like myself and others that are routinely on a 2 or 3 day business trip NEVER check in luggage.
I do it every time.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dorian
You must travel some crappy routes. Only problems I have are:

YYZ - bags take an insane amount of time
YVR - bags take too long
KGL - some times my bag is in BRU or LHR
IST - transit bag gets rifled with items stolen

Other than those....I'm happy to check my bags globally.
YYZ probably represents 40% of my final destination cities.

NA statistics are at 3 per 1000 trips. So if you fly 5 times a week, every week, statistically your bags will get mishandled .76 times. Less than 1 per year on 225 trips. The more you fly, the closer to the average you will get. (mishandled doesn't mean automatically lost, it is usually delayed)

The time you 'lose' while waiting at the carousel you will gain in shorter boarding times, more on time departures and less missed connections.

If you want 100% luggage guarantees (a promise) the I suggest calling NetJets or Flexjets. Its usually about $2500 per hour.
I checked bags twice in 2013. I had a 48 hour delay on one of those trips. The NA statistics are irrelevant if my situation makes me more prone to issues. Heck, Air Canada's rate could be triple that for all you know.

I don't take time boarding. I get out of the aisle right away if I need to do anything, and then my bag goes right up in the bin. Saying my carry-on is delaying the plane is like saying all Canadians are polite. Some people, like those of us who fly a lot, probably have it pretty quick by this point.

And I do have a 100% luggage guarantee. I carry on.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't take time boarding. I get out of the aisle right away if I need to do anything, and then my bag goes right up in the bin. Saying my carry-on is delaying the plane is like saying all Canadians are polite. Some people, like those of us who fly a lot, probably have it pretty quick by this point.
I'm sure you don't take time and don't hold everything back. I don't either. But we're both stuck sitting in our seats waiting for everyone else to finish boarding and we'll both have a tighter/missed connection because of it. The problem is you can't legislate against 'stupid'.

How many times have you been on flights where there are multiple announcements about clearing the isles, putting you bag in wheels first so it takes up less space, etc. ? It can't be everybody's first day on a plane, right? (Although I feel like I've been on a few flights when it really seemed like it was everyone else's first day on a plane...). There is no test at check in to decide 'Bob can bring carry on but Dave can't'. So if carry-on luggage is causing lots of problems there are 3 choices:

a) reduce number of seats on a plane resulting in higher ticket prices.
b) reduce the number of carry-on bags.
c) don't change anything, and keep complaining about gate checking, long boarding procedures.

Which one do you prefer?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:19 pm

I'm sure you don't take time and don't hold everything back. I don't either. But we're both stuck sitting in our seats waiting for everyone else to finish boarding and we'll both have a tighter/missed connection because of it. The problem is you can't legislate against 'stupid'.

How many times have you been on flights where there are multiple announcements about clearing the isles, putting you bag in wheels first so it takes up less space, etc. ? It can't be everybody's first day on a plane, right? (Although I feel like I've been on a few flights when it really seemed like it was everyone else's first day on a plane...). There is no test at check in to decide 'Bob can bring carry on but Dave can't'. So if carry-on luggage is causing lots of problems there are 3 choices:

c) don't change anything, and keep complaining about gate checking, long boarding procedures.

Which one do you prefer?
1. Charge the same for carry-on as for checked bags. Note that I am not saying it's a good idea to charge, just that the charge should be equal. This will disincentivize people from carrying on, for the sole reason that it's free.
2. Reduce the number of carry-on bags permitted to just one. Sounds good to me.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan

Which one do you prefer?
a), please. Put it back the way it was. Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:54 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by FastSRT8
... if someone took over space in your cabin to which they were not entitled to, would that not bother you?
It's everyone's space. I will even help them store their bags, if they need to.

I laugh at people who think it's theirs. Then quickly forget about it....

1. Charge the same for carry-on as for checked bags. Note that I am not saying it's a good idea to charge, just that the charge should be equal. This will disincentivize people from carrying on, for the sole reason that it's free.
2. Reduce the number of carry-on bags permitted to just one. Sounds good to me.
When i fly Air Asia, I pay for checked bags, then instead take them with me. Meaning, I pay to NOT check my bags. They see that I have too many carry ons, I show them I paid, and am not trying to 'cheap out' and they are instantly ok.

The crackdown on carryons seems to be revenue protection.

I don't trust the airlines/airports with my luggage. This is the biggest problem if you ask me.

As for #2, if we were forced to have only one carry on, women would get caught with their purses being the one bag. IMO, that's why we have 1 carry on and one personal item.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
As for #2, if we were forced to have only one carry on, women would get caught with their purses being the one bag. IMO, that's why we have 1 carry on and one personal item.
Put the purse in the bag.

Or just ensure the purse is smaller.

I was sitting in 1D on a YOW-YYZ flight an hour ago, and a guy walked on with a full size roller, AND A GUITAR!!!

He should not have been allowed past the GA, in my opinion.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum

I was sitting in 1D on a YOW-YYZ flight an hour ago, and a guy walked on with a full size roller, AND A GUITAR!!!

Maybe he was the guy on UA that made that song "United breaks guitars"....LOL.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:54 pm

Agreed. And I'll bet the roller wasn't stowed underneath the seat in from of him....
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:24 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat

Sounds like 1 carry on and 1 personal item to me.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Per AC, a personal article is not as large as either a guitar or roller bag.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../carry-on.html
16 cm x 33 cm x 43 cm
(6 in x 13 in x 17 in)
<=22lb / 10kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.