Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by sp4294
Does anyone really believe that their J travel bags are treated better by the rampies than Y pax bags?
I assume they are often treated worse.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer
How long before AC introduces a formal policy to prevent episodes like this again?

From now on all cell phones, cameras and video cameras will have to be placed in checked baggage only. That should fix it.
I bet there was already a formal policy. If not, AC wouldn't have had the grounds to fire them.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:13 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by yulred
Must be a north american thing. Flew into Heathrow this AM. Landed at 940, at gate at 955 (gate occupied on arrival). Through border control at 1020 - bag available on belt. At YYZ, YOW, YUL etc, this would be an anomaly. I tend to believe that its down to poor staffing levels.

Not looking forward to returning to YOW via YYZ on Monday with two checked pieces. Bit worried the 1hr 30 min connection time will be too little even with priority tags. And then there's YOW domestic arrivals, where you can waltz up to Harveys, grab a bite, waddle around for 10-15 minutes and then get back to the belt at least 10 minutrs before the first priority tagged bag shows up. Unfortunately, employer booked the ticket on short notice so I doubt I ll make the direct yow flight.
SIN takes the cake on that one. Awesome airport. Haven't had your luck at LHR, but I'll agree most NA airports aren't that efficient, except the small ones.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
More good coverage of AC

When airline service is this bad, it’s hardly worth complaining

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle18194281/
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm gonna be in the minority here but I didn't really care about this much, here's why and this is coming from an FF now who usually travels carry on, and a former backage handler at AC and for a much longer period at a contractor who handled WS.

So the 20ft drop, I didn't research the aircraft type, but we're not talking about a flight with a usual gate check policy.

My first problem goes straight to the passengers, there's FAR too many people packing ridiculous carry ons now, partly the fault of the airline for allowing it, but partly just people are nuts with how much they pack. Sitting in 1D the other day, I had that classic vantage point of seeing just about every passenger walk by. Each one of them got on the flight carrying a roller bag. So did I, but I didn't check a bag...odds are most of these people did.

I hate using the space under the seat in front of me, but when push come to shove, I do it. I wish the FAs were a little more forceful on that. If everyone on this flight used the underneath portion and the overheard, there's NO WAY there'd be this many gatechecks.

Also, to all guitar toting people, those shouldn't even be gatechecks, let alone carry on. Gate checks are items that help you get from the gate to the carousel (or outside etc), wheelchairs, strollers and other conveyances. If/when they're allowed on board as carryon all they do is take up entire overhead bins.

You also shouldn't have gate checked if you had valuables, even if there "was no room". No one is taking my backpack (which has my laptop) but you know what, my carryon with clothes and toiletries, you can drop from 100ft if you want, the bag will get hurt but nothing inside will.

Now that I've railed on PAX, time to get the handlers...

This is unacceptable and in my 6 years as a handler I've never seen this practice. However, PHX has slides and no one seems to mind that. These guys should get fired (which i believe they will), but the only reason they will be is because there's a video and customer outrage. Their union will likely grieve it as well and PROBABLY win if these guys haven't had previous issues.

I'm lazy and yea those stairs are a ....., but what's worse is the danger that comes with them. They're pretty flimsy and walking up/down with 2+ items hanging off me on already narrow stairs just isn't safe. Some of the items are really clumsy too (ie: strollers that won't close) so those ones have to be carried by themselves. Again, even a full flight on average should really only have 2-3 gate checked items (conveyances) yet somehow on average WS has like 6 per flight.

There's already enough pressure to get the flight out on time, some flights i've got MORE than enough time/manpower to go up and down those stairs 4-5 times, but sometimes I don't even really have a chance to do it once. Some gate agents will help, but you can forget it if it's raining, or if the items are heavy. While most passengers won't care about being 2-3 minutes late, the bosses do and there's a good chance you'll hear about it later.

TL;DR...too many carry ons result in dumb "solutions" like this. Use the space on the plane INCLUDING under the seat and this wouldn't happen.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm gonna be in the minority here but I didn't really care about this much, here's why and this is coming from an FF now who usually travels carry on, and a former backage handler at AC and for a much longer period at a contractor who handled WS....
Thank you! I've been holding back on this... but every flight I'm on and I see people with a carry on suitcase, a computer bag and a personal bag. Families with 2 kids with each of the 4 family members with 2 bags. I fly with a computer bag and people have asked me 'can you put that under the seat in front of you so I can get one of my bags in the overhead?' Sorry... I'm 6 foot plus and I checked a bag so I didn't have anything at my feet.

I think its time for a policy like ANZ where there is a limit on the weight of carry on bags. I'm assuming 99% of people in this forum don't pay for checked luggage so PLEASE! stop contributing to the problem.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Again, even a full flight on average should really only have 2-3 gate checked items (conveyances) yet somehow on average WS has like 6 per flight.
As you have stated the average gate checks should be minimal. The issue with the 777HD however is that the space available is likely similar to the 77W. But with 458 vs 348 passengers there is simply not enough cabin baggage space to allow for an 30% increase of passengers.

When boarding a 777HD in January I saw at least 30-40 standard sized rollerboards put to the side for gate checking. Some of these were red striped AC FA cases.

AC should have been better prepared for this.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: Air Canada
Originally Posted by nave888
I don't think blaming the specific employees is useful- its probably a systemic problem.

It was a 777HD flight leaving YYZ in the late afternoon before a long weekend. This wasn't a CRJ with a handful of bags- there could have been dozens and dozens of bags to check at the last minute, so AC's policy to carry them down one by one makes zero sense. If AC is going to charge for carry ons more and more, while increasing the density of its planes, then obviously they'll need to find a better way to gate check more bags. I think asking the handlers to carry each bag down from a likely very overloaded 777HD individually is silly! You'll have pax complaining about delays instead! The agents were probably under pressure to get the 400+ pax plane out on time, a bunch of the bags were probably oversized/overweight, so the agents were probably just trying their best!

What AC could do to prevent this is not just fire some individual staff...That doesn't fix the problem. They have to fix the process that led to the incident, and create a better policy for staff to follow in any similar situation.
Your assessment is bang on.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by tireman77
Thank you! I've been holding back on this... but every flight I'm on and I see people with a carry on suitcase, a computer bag and a personal bag. Families with 2 kids with each of the 4 family members with 2 bags. I fly with a computer bag and people have asked me 'can you put that under the seat in front of you so I can get one of my bags in the overhead?' Sorry... I'm 6 foot plus and I checked a bag so I didn't have anything at my feet.

I think its time for a policy like ANZ where there is a limit on the weight of carry on bags. I'm assuming 99% of people in this forum don't pay for checked luggage so PLEASE! stop contributing to the problem.
I concur. I paid for my seat AND my storage space above my head.

SCREW you all those who take more than what you are allotted.

I hate people who take advantage of this.

Thankfully, most flights I board have executive class cabins. This solves all my problems. BTW, I've seen coach people sitting right against business try and use our bins. I usually give them the ... look.

Oh and don't get me started with the 'I'll just sneak in and use the business class lavatories cuz the line is long back there'. LOL
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by FastSRT8
Thankfully, most flights I board have executive class cabins. This solves all my problems. BTW, I've seen coach people sitting right against business try and use our bins. I usually give them the ... look.
Maybe its just me but if I got the ... look from you (or anyone acting holier than thou on a plane actually), it would be followed by the ... eyeroll, and perhaps the ... finger
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Stop delaying my bags 48 hours.

Stop making me wait at the carousel.

Give me a promise (backed up by some form of compensation) that my bag WILL arrive, and will be at the carousel when I get there, and I'll stop carrying on my roller.

I don't carry on because I like lugging it around the airport - I carry on because checked bags get lost and are slow.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Give me a promise (backed up by some form of compensation) that my bag WILL arrive, and will be at the carousel when I get there, and I'll stop carrying on my roller.

I don't carry on because I like lugging it around the airport - I carry on because checked bags get lost and are slow.
You must travel some crappy routes. Only problems I have are:

YYZ - bags take an insane amount of time
YVR - bags take too long
KGL - some times my bag is in BRU or LHR
IST - transit bag gets rifled with items stolen

Other than those....I'm happy to check my bags globally.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Maybe its just me but if I got the ... look from you (or anyone acting holier than thou on a plane actually), it would be followed by the ... eyeroll, and perhaps the ... finger
And you my friend you get the salut right back at ya LOL.

Fair is fair.

There is a good reason why classes are separated. People have paid for the convenience to which they are entitled to. I just hate how people take advantage of it just because they feel things should be fair for all.

In the same token, if someone took over space in your cabin to which they were not entitled to, would that not bother you?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

NA statistics are at 3 per 1000 trips. So if you fly 5 times a week, every week, statistically your bags will get mishandled .76 times. Less than 1 per year on 225 trips. The more you fly, the closer to the average you will get. (mishandled doesn't mean automatically lost, it is usually delayed)

The time you 'lose' while waiting at the carousel you will gain in shorter boarding times, more on time departures and less missed connections.

If you want 100% luggage guarantees (a promise) the I suggest calling NetJets or Flexjets. Its usually about $2500 per hour.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
NA statistics are at 3 per 1000 trips. So if you fly 5 times a week, every week, statistically your bags will get mishandled .76 times. Less than 1 per year on 225 trips. The more you fly, the closer to the average you will get. (mishandled doesn't mean automatically lost, it is usually delayed).
I wonder what the average is for golf clubs. And, when I wait until the last bag drops, to determine that my clubs didn't make it, the person at the baggage counter always has a note letting them know where my clubs are. If they know, they should have a system to tell me when I get off the plane. I am more than happy to leave and have them deliver my clubs to the course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.