Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaysona

This is just a case of really bad optics, these bags were dropped ~20ft? Not too damaging - it just looks really, really bad to general public...

I would prefer that bags are know thrown around, but the reality is that bags get a rough handling throughout the entire trip - you just don't see it.

I've seen bags fall out of planes from a greater height when cargo doors are opened, and I have seen what happens to bags in the innards of various airport baggage handling systems - it's all a lot worse that what is shown in the video.
Agree, it is bad optics and checked bags must go through hell once they disappear into that dark tunnel. BUT these were intended to be carry-ons and any reasonable person would not expect those bags to be treated that way once they left the cabin.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by luv2flyJ
Agree, it is bad optics and checked bags must go through hell once they disappear into that dark tunnel. BUT these were intended to be carry-ons and any reasonable person would not expect those bags to be treated that way once they left the cabin.
What I saw in the video all seemed to be of the type that would also be checked in. It looked like they had the roller wheels, pull out handle, etc. I did see one duffel bag - no idea what was in it. I have check duffel bags many times - never with AC though - but that's just because AC is slow as hell at getting bags to the carousel. Actually, if it turns out that a trip of mine required a checked back - usually due to duration, location, etc I used to cancel my AC booking and book on a different carrier - just so I wouldn't have to wait an inordinate amount of time to get my bags when I arrive back home.

Last edited by jaysona; Apr 20, 2014 at 6:33 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Acnyyz
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Classic! So here's how this is going to play out:

AC fires baggage handlers, lets it leak to the public. PR disaster is defused, at least as best they can for now. News coverage dies down. Fired employees grieve, union takes the grievance to AC. After the usual arm waving by lawyers, they settle, or maybe take it to arbitration to make the point. Since these arbitrations are held behind closed doors, we'll never know if it happens, nor the outcome if it does. Fired employees will be reinstated with full back pay and a written reprimand on their file.

In a few weeks they'll be back on the job and we'll never know. In the meantime, all the other baggage handlers will carry bags down the stairs one by one at a snail's pace, claim back injuries and go on compo.
If you don't know what happens at these types of arbitrations (assuming it even gets there), how do you know they'll be reinstated?

The second statement is just in poor taste.
Hmmm....not so sure about that, perhaps Sopwith knows something you don't....

I know two ramp leads - won't say which base(s) - and have heard many stories stories that are even worse than what Sopwith has indicated.

I know a few former AC maintenance people who have told me stories where other maintenance personnel just didn't feel like working on a particular task that day, of course management would try to get the AME do their job, the AME would just tell management to "f off" and then they'd go home for the day. Back at work the next day - like nothing happened.

This happens everywhere that a union is involved - been there done that, didn't like it and left.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum

I know two ramp leads - won't say which base(s) - and have heard many stories stories that are even worse than what Sopwith has indicated.

I know a few former AC maintenance people who have told me stories where other maintenance personnel just didn't feel like working on a particular task that day, of course management would try to get the AME do their job, the AME would just tell management to "f off" and then they'd go home for the day. Back at work the next day - like nothing happened.

This happens everywhere that a union is involved - been there done that, didn't like it and left.
I know many AC station attendants and FA's as well.
It's like this...At AC there are two "get out of jail cards" that unionized employees at AC can use:

1. Safety First
2. They could steel a plane and be caught doing it in the act; all they have to say is that "they have a problem". Once they acknowledge to Management that they "have a problem" and go to counseling, AA etc. they are sprayed with Teflon...NOTHING sticks. The worse I have seen in a long time was about 5 years back or more at YVR base. A bunch of FA's were buying large amounts of copy bags, watches etc. and were STUPID enough to be selling them from the Employee Parking Lot. Corporate Security caught them and the Company was pushing for termination. The employees in question were given leave without pay pending the "investigation". The result was they were re-instated back with back pay and the only thing the Company was able to get was a 10 year suspension of no pass privileges because it violated the T&C's of pass privileges clearly stating not for commercial use.

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:49 pm

Employees routinely decide they don't feel like working, swear at their managers and knock off early - and there are no consequences? I find that pretty hard to believe.

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by SEMM
I know many AC station attendants and FA's as well.
It's like this...At AC there are two "get out of jail cards" that unionized employees at AC can use:

1. Safety First
2. They could steel a plane and be caught doing it in the act; all they have to say is that "they have a problem". Once they acknowledge to Management that they "have a problem" and go to counseling, AA etc. they are sprayed with Teflon...NOTHING sticks. The worse I have seen in a long time was about 5 years back or more at YVR base. A bunch of FA's were buying large amounts of copy bags, watches etc. and were STUPID enough to be selling them from the Employee Parking Lot. Corporate Security caught them and the Company was pushing for termination. The employees in question were given leave without pay pending the "investigation". The result was they were re-instated back with back pay and the only thing the Company was able to get was a 10 year suspension of no pass privileges because it violated the T&C's of pass privileges clearly stating not for commercial use.
Just to be clear: are you saying the FA's were using their flight pass privileges to go abroad, buy fake designer goods and sell them from their employee parking lot? I'm trying to make the link between knock-off goods and the passes' T&Cs.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Just to be clear: are you saying the FA's were using their flight pass privileges to go abroad, buy fake designer goods and sell them from their employee parking lot? I'm trying to make the link between knock-off goods and the passes' T&Cs.
YES on their pairing to PVG they would "stock up" en masse and even check their luggage full of knock off/fake designer bags and sell them from their car trunks in the employee parking lot in YVR.
As pointed out, very hard to get fired at AC. IMO, these two ramp rats will claim safety first, that the bags weighed more than 32kgs (which they are obliged to lift as per their collective agreements and pre-employment contract conditions) and say they had no other way to do the job. They will maybe at best get a two week suspension without pay and be back. Better pray it is not really termination because every station attendant in YYZ will band together and do a "work to rule" situation for a couple of days and slow things down causing delays etc. in order to send Management a message.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:11 pm

Employees routinely decide they don't feel like working, swear at their managers and knock off early - and there are no consequences? I find that pretty hard to believe.
I never said "routinely" but yes, things like that happen without consequences of any significance.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dorian
1 Senior exec
3 Pilots
3 In Charge

Look, I don't give a rats a*s if you don't believe me or require a notarized copy of their purchase order with some Boeing Executive blood dripped over the signature. How about you start delivering some inside information for once instead of just being a little kid running around our feet in circles?
LOL .... I just wanted to give you another chance to post your unsubstantiated bunk.

Actually some pilots are quite "in the know" about what's going to be happening and have their finger on the pulse. A few different pilots told me about the pending 737-Max deal more than a year ago, looks like they "would know"
Flight Global, with well connected resources in the business, had an article AC was going NEO weeks before the order was finalized. It's thought by many that B came in late with an offer too good to refuse (E90 etc). Byut your pilot contacts knew "more than a year ago". Even when AC went on the record saying no decisions was made in response to FG article. Yeah, sure

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
If you don't know what happens at these types of arbitrations (assuming it even gets there), how do you know they'll be reinstated?

The second statement is just in poor taste.
I've been involved in enough union negotiations and arbitrations to know the course these things usually follow. As for the poor taste, perhaps in your mind. In mine, I'm just calling a spade a spade. Two guys get sacked and nothing happens? Not real. You can bet there will be backlash from their buddies, if not overt job action, then the passive resistance form. But you can bet on something happening to wobble.

By the way, the arm waving I mentioned is intended to allow the lawyers to run up the bill before they settle. If I sound cynical it's because I am. Even my guys got fed up with their own union and decertified last year.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Airlines compete Globally with one another. OR should we just compare operational aspects of AC with the airlines you fly?
If you're claiming AC 777HD is an abomination, Can we bring up competing aircraft with competing airlines, OR should we just take your word for it?
It is well within the OP's right to claim it is an abomination in their opinion...and I do actually think we should take their word for it....because it is their opinion.
Thank you Dorian.
In this thread about the throwing of some bags and discussion about antecedents and sequelae, I have no interest in debating whether the acquisition of this aircraft is good, bad, or indifferent for AC competitiveness and profitability. I participate in FT to exchange information about what is good, bad, or indifferent for individual flyers. Feel free to discuss whatever else you want, but I'M not playing.

Last edited by flyquiet; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:06 pm Reason: brevity
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Sopwith
387,021 views on YouTube and counting. Does that qualify as a PR oopsie?
Now up to 788,595 hits, headed for a million.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
LOL .... I just wanted to give you another chance to post your unsubstantiated bunk.
Like I said, small child running around our legs.

If you hate it here so much, why stay? It isn't like you provide any useful information.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:14 pm

Ya, Asiana, hence the interiors. Rumour is they got them at "cost".
At least the first 2 delivered originally had purple PE seats - Virgin colours. Refitted post-delivery in Mirabel to the current black. Neither of us can really be 100% sure as to the original airline they were destined for, but since the PE seats were originally for Virgin likely the entire airplane was ordered for the failed AC/Virgin TPAC JV idea.

Further, had they not been ordered by AC (on behalf of whom is irrelevant) from the start would they have been certified B777-333ERs by Boeing and Transport Canada, rather than a B777-38EER like OZ operates? I really don't know.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:50 pm

Actually some pilots are quite "in the know" about what's going to be happening and have their finger on the pulse. A few different pilots told me about the pending 737-Max deal more than a year ago, looks like they "would know"
Well they did have a 50/50 chance of being right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.