Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by jaysona

I would prefer that bags are know thrown around, but the reality is that bags get a rough handling throughout the entire trip - you just don't see it.

I've seen bags fall out of planes from a greater height when cargo doors are opened, and I have seen what happens to bags in the innards of various airport baggage handling systems - it's all a lot worse that what is shown in the video.

Cure the disease - don't treat it.
Yeah, no kidding! I witnessed this one morning last summer sitting in the YVR domestic MLL watching the carts of baggage being hauled in/out of the underground processing area. One guy came out at a good clip and suitcases just went flying off the second trailing cart as he turned a corner and tumbled out on the tarmac about 15-20 feet without him noticing. A good half dozen bags in all. Took about fifteen minutes with others whizzing by before somebody actually came by and looked at them!

No chance these rampies will be fired permanently. The union will grieve this if any action is taken and they will be back at work in due time. AC management really needs to look at what a mess they have here.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: AY Plat, AA ExP, NH Gold, AMEX PLAT
It's another fine enhancement by AC.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:02 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by sp4294
Yeah, no kidding! I witnessed this one morning last summer sitting in the YVR domestic MLL watching the carts of baggage being hauled in/out of the underground processing area. One guy came out at a good clip and suitcases just went flying off the second trailing cart as he turned a corner and tumbled out on the tarmac about 15-20 feet without him noticing. A good half dozen bags in all. Took about fifteen minutes with others whizzing by before somebody actually came by and looked at them!
That happens at almost every airport in North America every day. Its not airline dependent, its industry wide.

What I find interesting is that people (myself included) complain when flights are delayed, or that it takes too long to get their luggage, but at the same time, they want airline to treat their luggage like Grandmother's China. The system in place works 99.7% of the time but when we are the 3/1000 that something happens we freak out.

Last edited by PLeblond; Apr 21, 2014 at 6:09 am
Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Like I said, small child running around our legs.
If you hate it here so much, why stay? It isn't like you provide any useful information.
LOL ...... I thought you were telling all your Square followers that you blocked me? Now, I'm getting responses to each of my posts. Progress.
Not sure what you've provided here? I'll be sure to look you up when I want to know where to buy a TPAC flight pass or if I need to know how big the foot cutouts are on the HD.
In the meantime, please send me links to any posts where you've actually said anything forward-looking, insightful, useful. Your posts are limited to your BIS miles, should be slow time for you until 787s arrive ......
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
There was no questioning the favourable pricing. Linking the price w/ 788 delay was questioned as was the notion Boeing were eating the fit-up costs of the HD.
Is that reported in the MDA linked as well?
No, but given the pricing information Boeing provides here you can get a decent idea how favorable those terms to AC were. What's your notion for AC getting under half price aircraft that was delivered almost immediately if not to compensate for 787 delays or encourage a 737 order?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D
My personal opinion is...

That's what you get for not boarding early in Y class to ensure there was space in the overhead or you didn't want to put your enormous carry-on by your feet.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

They are going to get fired per the Globe and Mail:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/air-canada-to-fire-workers-after-video-showed-baggage-tossing/article18075563/?service=mobile
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by philelite

That's what you get for not boarding early in Y class to ensure there was space in the overhead or you didn't want to put your enormous carry-on by your feet.
Yes this is clearly the pax fault for bringing a carryon bag, definitely has nothing to do with AC cramming 400 people in Y on a 777.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Yes this is clearly the pax fault for bringing a carryon bag, definitely has nothing to do with AC cramming 400 people in Y on a 777.
A combination of

* AC cramming 400 people in Y on a 777;

* Airlines charging extra for luggage;

* People unwilling to pay taking the kitchen sink on board;

* AC not enforcing carry on sizes and limits.

Bottom line: a combination of people being cheap and airlines catering to cheap customers.

People have to suffer in order to convince themselves they got the best deal. In other owrds, only if the suffer are they happy....
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Sure, And the waste cleaners shouldn't remove all 400 peoples' bathroom waste after each flight just 301 as per 77W ... and the staff shouldn't vacuum the crumbs of 400 passengers nor wipe down 400 seats and tray tables, just count to 301 and you're done. And maybe the FAs should only serve 301 passengers and simply throw cans of coke at the remaining 99? I mean, None of those working groups wanted the HD configuration

I understand there are inherent pressures when turning/prepping these beasts. I'd expect the staff to have some basic pride and sense of accountability in their work.
If they don't, they won't be too upset getting axed yesterday.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, And the waste cleaners shouldn't remove all 400 peoples' bathroom waste after each flight just 301 as per 77W ... and the staff shouldn't vacuum the crumbs of 400 passengers nor wipe down 400 seats and tray tables, just count to 301 and you're done. And maybe the FAs should only serve 301 passengers and simply throw cans of coke at the remaining 99? I mean, None of those working groups wanted the HD configuration
Given that management probably expects them to deal with the 400 within the same time window they need for the 300 ones, would that be a surprise?

Then when under pressure someone makes a short cut, they lose their jobs?
Wonderful way to run a business. Guarantees customer satisfaction, right.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Given that management probably expects them to deal with the 400 within the same time window they need for the 300 ones, would that be a surprise?
Is that a fact? I don't know. Are you saying AC don't staff in accordance with passenger loads? Would a 77HD and 77W on the same turn have the same cleaning/baggage staffing levels? Honest question.
Originally Posted by Stranger
Then when under pressure someone makes a short cut, they lose their jobs?
Wonderful way to run a business. Guarantees customer satisfaction, right.
Let's assume these guys walked down the bags, resulting in 20 min delay pushing back. Do you, for a second, think their union is going to allow them to catch any flack from management when the cause of the delay was overhead storage filling up?
Some might feel these baggage handlers threw the bags down driven by desire/pressure of an on-time departure, others will just think they're lazy and climbing up and down stairs 30 times didn't sound overly delightful
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by philelite

Except that if you're an ''ordinary" passenger without status and toting one soft side bag in Y and sitting up front in row 18 you are boarded last, even though you pay for preferred seating, chances are there's no space left in the overhead bins - especially on a 77HD - and even then your 'legal" carry on may be removed to accommodate someone else's obviously oversized humungous wheelie! Utterly ridiculous!!!

Why on earth are the airlines even allowing any carry on wheelies at all?

The whole situation is getting ridiculous and totally out of hand.

One solution would be to have airlines standardise carry-on sizes and have these inspected and rejected where applicable as part of the security process.

Carry-on bags which are obviously oversize as to dimension or weight should not be allowed to get as far as the gate.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Except that if you're an ''ordinary" passenger without status and toting one soft side bag in Y and sitting up front in row 18 you are boarded last, even though you pay for preferred seating, chances are there's no space left in the overhead bins - especially on a 77HD - and even then your 'legal" carry on may be removed to accommodate someone else's obviously oversized humungous wheelie! Utterly ridiculous!!!

Wouldn't that bag fit "under the seat in front of you" though?

Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that a fact? I don't know. Are you saying AC don't staff in accordance with passenger loads? Would a 77HD and 77W on the same turn have the same cleaning/baggage staffing levels? Honest question.

Let's assume these guys walked down the bags, resulting in 20 min delay pushing back. Do you, for a second, think their union is going to allow them to catch any flack from management when the cause of the delay was overhead storage filling up?
Some might feel these baggage handlers threw the bags down driven by desire/pressure of an on-time departure, others will just think they're lazy and climbing up and down stairs 30 times didn't sound overly delightful
Obviously we don't know.

In which case I would rather give the benefit of the doubt to the weakest link rather than to distant management. Whose track record is known when dealing with employees. And even with customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.