Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Video speaks for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgDizh4DMno
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Responding to tweets from Stewart and Darren, Air Canada promised to investigate the incident.

@drvanslyke hi Darren, what flight # is this? We'll investigate this matter in-depth. /km
— Air Canada (@AirCanada) April 17, 2014

Air Canada baggage #fail 20 ft bag toss in Toronto @AirCanada – we had a rough day today. @drvanslyke http://t.co/Eyt27ezhgt
— Dwayne Stewart (@dwayner9) April 18, 2014
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/04/18/ai...ng-at-pearson/

Hope none of the passengers packed anything important/fragile into their carry-ons!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTcadence
Hope none of the passengers packed anything important/fragile into their carry-ons!
Because you know AC will only offer compensation of a 5% discount on future travel
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Wow! Don't quite understand why "carry-on" bags are out there, surely for a commuter jet there's no 20ft drop...?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Something to think about next time they ask you to "gate check" something.

"No, thanks. I'll just jump up and down on it a couple of times instead."
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:25 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Wow! Don't quite understand why "carry-on" bags are out there, surely for a commuter jet there's no 20ft drop...?
Gate checked due to overhead bins being full? Aren't there reports of this happening on the 777HD?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL plat
Terrible how some people have so little respect for A) their job and B) others' belongings
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
"Air Canada 1 hour ago

We are extremely disappointed by the actions depicted in this video. This clearly goes against our standard baggage handling procedures which dictates that gate-checked bags are to be hand carried down to the ramp. An investigation into this has been launched."

AC Social media team is pretty fast onto these things. Too bad they don't have the same attitude inside the rest of AC.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Air Canada responded to the video on YouTube, which is good. Hopefully this is a one-off that will be stopped now. Also believe 20 feet is a bit of an exaggeration. But I certainly won't be wanting to gate-check my cabin bag on my AC flight this Tuesday.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 4:58 pm

"launch an investigation" LOL

so in six months they will respond with....."to bad, take it up with CTA"

Honest to G*D what has happened to this airline?! Profit is one thing but this is becoming a train wreck.

PS nice post/find OP
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by imverge

IMO time to fire that employee. Though I´m sure the unions will find a reason why he shouldn´t be.

AC´s words about "launching an investigation" are meaningless unless they actually do something about it.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Gate checked due to overhead bins being full? Aren't there reports of this happening on the 777HD?
This flight was a 777HD.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:10 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009

IMO time to fire that employee. Though I´m sure the unions will find a reason why he shouldn´t be.

AC´s words about "launching an investigation" are meaningless unless they actually do something about it.
If our country's transit unions are any precedent, he'll even get a raise/promotion/both! *cough*TakeTheCar*cough*

I haven't flown enough to know, but every time I gate check bags, there's a dolly outside where you put the bags on it? Aren't those just wheeled over to the baggage hold?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by ChrisA330

This flight was a 777HD.
Thanks for that.
"Instead of launching your bags, we'll launch an investigation"
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by mattking2000
I haven't flown enough to know, but every time I gate check bags, there's a dolly outside where you put the bags on it? Aren't those just wheeled over to the baggage hold?
No - what you´re talking about is "sky-check" - which is only available on some AC Jazz/Express flights. The above video shows hand baggage being gate-checked, i.e. it goes into the regular baggage hold and gets delivered to the baggage carousel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.