FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:32 pm
jaysona

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Acnyyz
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Classic! So here's how this is going to play out:

AC fires baggage handlers, lets it leak to the public. PR disaster is defused, at least as best they can for now. News coverage dies down. Fired employees grieve, union takes the grievance to AC. After the usual arm waving by lawyers, they settle, or maybe take it to arbitration to make the point. Since these arbitrations are held behind closed doors, we'll never know if it happens, nor the outcome if it does. Fired employees will be reinstated with full back pay and a written reprimand on their file.

In a few weeks they'll be back on the job and we'll never know. In the meantime, all the other baggage handlers will carry bags down the stairs one by one at a snail's pace, claim back injuries and go on compo.
If you don't know what happens at these types of arbitrations (assuming it even gets there), how do you know they'll be reinstated?

The second statement is just in poor taste.
Hmmm....not so sure about that, perhaps Sopwith knows something you don't....

I know two ramp leads - won't say which base(s) - and have heard many stories stories that are even worse than what Sopwith has indicated.

I know a few former AC maintenance people who have told me stories where other maintenance personnel just didn't feel like working on a particular task that day, of course management would try to get the AME do their job, the AME would just tell management to "f off" and then they'd go home for the day. Back at work the next day - like nothing happened.

This happens everywhere that a union is involved - been there done that, didn't like it and left.

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm