FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tireman77
I'm sure you don't take time and don't hold everything back. I don't either. But we're both stuck sitting in our seats waiting for everyone else to finish boarding and we'll both have a tighter/missed connection because of it. The problem is you can't legislate against 'stupid'.

How many times have you been on flights where there are multiple announcements about clearing the isles, putting you bag in wheels first so it takes up less space, etc. ? It can't be everybody's first day on a plane, right? (Although I feel like I've been on a few flights when it really seemed like it was everyone else's first day on a plane...). There is no test at check in to decide 'Bob can bring carry on but Dave can't'. So if carry-on luggage is causing lots of problems there are 3 choices:

a) reduce number of seats on a plane resulting in higher ticket prices.
b) reduce the number of carry-on bags.
c) don't change anything, and keep complaining about gate checking, long boarding procedures.

Which one do you prefer?
1. Charge the same for carry-on as for checked bags. Note that I am not saying it's a good idea to charge, just that the charge should be equal. This will disincentivize people from carrying on, for the sole reason that it's free.
2. Reduce the number of carry-on bags permitted to just one. Sounds good to me.