Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So.... market forces, right?
Right.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
For all those know betters that like to short/day trade AC stock while be an armchair CEO, Calin has a message for you, get out of AC.

But then again, the smart investors stay away from falling knives.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
For all those know betters that like to short/day trade AC stock while be an armchair CEO, Calin has a message for you, get out of AC.

I'm not smart, hence stuck in this

+12% yesterday, -12% today
YTD is $10 to $7.4 (-26~30% on no major news or missed ER)

I agree with CEO, I hate the short-term traders :P
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: *$ Green

Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:25 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

But Mr. Rovinescu had strong words when asked by analysts on a conference call about the airline’s decision to stop issuing monthly traffic figures and whether it considered offering more disclosure every month instead of less.

“To be very blunt, we’re not running this company for the benefit of short-term investors from a day-to-day basis or from a month-to-month basis,” said Mr. Rovinescu.

Until such time, of course, that there are again month to month increases in monthly traffic figures.

But I do stand corrected. Apparently executives can have a profound impact on share prices, at least in the downward direction.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by jerryhung

No major news? Really, have you been reading the news in regards to the state of our economy?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Wow.

We knew they were arrogant and out of touch from the whole "our customers are cheapening the product" talk, and that they'd come here and tell us that to our faces...

But going to the market and telling investors to sell your stock as some way of trying to stand up to them and slap them in the face with your manhood ... that is true insanity as a CEO.

Amazing. The hubris is just amazing.

Like telling voters to not vote for you because you don't need their vote.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerryhung

Got nothing to do with short term traders. These and "the shorts" are always convenient bogeymen to hang the blame on for performance.

Ultimately the stock is going to track the prospects of the company. How they did last year or last quarter don't mean anything for the stock price today. Stock price today only reflects the future performance.

The CEO did absolutely nothing to inspire confidence in investors when he says that people of any sort should sell the stock. People who were buy and hold when the CEO is going out there telling people to sell the stock should immediately dump it. CEO should be counselling patience for the long term, not telling people to get out of the stock.

Because you and everyone else who holds the stock don't need people dumping it. He's going to get his bonus anyway. So he went and he just took 10% of your money. The CEO did. Not the traders. The traders just did what he told them to do and anyone in their right mind should sell when the CEO says sell.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Until such time, of course, that there are again month to month increases in monthly traffic figures.

But I do stand corrected. Apparently executives can have a profound impact on share prices, at least in the downward direction.
Yeah I loved this part:

"Instead of monthly traffic statistics, Air Canada will provide them quarterly and indicate how they stack up against Air Canada’s long-term targets and financial plan."

When it's going up they're going to let you know every month. When it's going down they're going to try to let you forget about it as long as possible and get it over with once per quarter.

That doesn't inspire any confidence either.

A lot of us were posting here that all of the driving away of loyal customers and the industry laying on the capacity like there was an unlimited number of passengers was eventually going to hit a wall. Now, possibly stability coming to Syria (of some limited sort), OPEC talking to Russia about agreeing to freeze or lowering output may mean that cheap oil is finished, and the Canadian economy weak... well we will get a bit stronger here with oil going up but cheap oil is the only thing floating the US economy. That could pop very easily.

Could have the nice perfect storm of all kinds of excess capacity, demand doing a 180, CEO pissing off and scaring investors with his head up his own butt.

The good news is: might see some more benefits and them coming back on bended knee saying, "Baby, I done you wrong. Won't you please give me a second chance?"
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Who knew?

Investors were cheapening the product too!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Who knew?

I waited all day for this gem
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:47 pm

All the bears come out on a down day (but not yesterday) :P

Come to think of it, both WJA and AJ tanked -10% after ER
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well my DAL did well today.

It's almost up to what I bought it at!

I should have stuck with UAL. It made me about $6.

Or I could have shorted 10 shares of AC, and I'd be up $10!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence

Who knew?

Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well my DAL did well today.

It's almost up to what I bought it at!

I should have stuck with UAL. It made me about $6.

Or I could have shorted 10 shares of AC, and I'd be up $10!
Or Twitter, which have went up nearly 30% since its all-time low.
Pretty much all sectors rallied well since this monday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.