Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Ken, you know full well what I'm talking about. Take a look at the 5 year stock outlook. And plus, you know full well the markets have been doing crappily over the last year (inclusive of 2015). 5 years ago the price was $3.39.
Ah yes, the standard "when stock price goes up it's because of good management and when stock price goes down it's because of the market" routine.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Ah yes, the standard "when stock price goes up it's because of good management and when stock price goes down it's because of the market" routine.
You're putting words in my mouth. With the dollar where it is (unfavorable), and the price of oil where it is (favorable), AC is doing quite well, IMHO.

But I have long figured that a conversation about AC between your viewpoint and mine will lead to nowhere good. So that's my last words on that.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

...one thing I was impressed with is how disciplined Air Canada is when it comes to their numbers. Costs/profits etc. No wonder their stock is doing much better.
you know full well the markets have been doing crappily over the last year (inclusive of 2015).
You're putting words in my mouth.
I'm pretty sure all of the words above are yours.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ken, you know full well what I'm talking about. Take a look at the 5 year stock outlook. And plus, you know full well the markets have been doing crappily over the last year (inclusive of 2015). 5 years ago the price was $3.39.
LOL Ken. I was literally going to say the exact same thing
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
You're putting words in my mouth. With the dollar where it is (unfavorable), and the price of oil where it is (favorable), AC is doing quite well, IMHO.

But I have long figured that a conversation about AC between your viewpoint and mine will lead to nowhere good. So that's my last words on that.
glad to hear.^

It looks like oil prices will stay low for much longer AC executives are happy to see a bonus cheque in a crystal ball.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: *$ Green
Stock tips on flyertalk.

So good.

So pro.

So insightful.

I come to flyertalk for stock performance discussion because it's so superior.

Really. I am not sure what is worse/more hilarious. This thread, or Market Call Tonight on BNN.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:46 am

I was actually flipped through the eh Raymond James report/downgrade today. They thunk all of the gains are because of lower oil prices, management has built up too much capacity, softening of business /premium market, and international expansion won't work.

Stock down about 8% today.

I'm not gonna lie I made money on the stock, and would probably still own it if my wife didn't get a new car. Now I'm losing money on that car instead of the stock. So thank you mrs wallace99 for wanting a Lexus.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Wallace99
I was actually flipped through the eh Raymond James report/downgrade today. They thunk all of the gains are because of lower oil prices, management has built up too much capacity, softening of business /premium market, and international expansion won't work.

Stock down about 8% today.
Check this thread ...... We've been on that stance for better part of a year.
Too bad it never got to $14 for me to short after some dumb analyst set an $18 target for AC.
I heard guy who set that target is actually working at Target these days as a Jr Greeter and shopping cart cleaner
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...acity-concerns

Air Canada Drops Most in 11 Months on Capacity Concern
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
That 777HD worked out really well eh?
HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Jia
HAHAHAHAHAHA
It has actually. The 777HD has been in operation since 2013... over capacity in 2016 has nothing to do with it. Just go on AC YVR-HKG or soon to be 2x daily YUL-CDG and be amazed at how full they are.

By all accounts - except J seating - the 777HD has been a massive hit for AC. So much so they are having 2 more delivered this year and retrofitting 18 other 777s to essentially HD standard in the same time frame.

I don't understand why you think AC running around 349-seat 77Ws instead of 450-seat 77Ws in a time of overcapacity would be an advantage. People are even more likely to be price sensitive now and with 777HD density AC has a fleet with almost unbeatable CASM.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
It has actually. The 777HD has been in operation since 2013... over capacity in 2016 has nothing to do with it. Just go on AC YVR-HKG or soon to be 2x daily YUL-CDG and be amazed at how full they are.

By all accounts - except J seating - the 777HD has been a massive hit for AC. So much so they are having 2 more delivered this year and retrofitting 18 other 777s to essentially HD standard in the same time frame.

I don't understand why you think AC running around 349-seat 77Ws instead of 450-seat 77Ws in a time of overcapacity would be an advantage. People are even more likely to be price sensitive now and with 777HD density AC has a fleet with almost unbeatable CASM.
Well, Longterm we will see. Some one with 3-4-3 HD seating can come in as lower cost than AC, and when they do, AC will no longer have the BRAND CX has and would have no choice but to continue fare war.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jack Jia
HAHAHAHAHAHA
2 TATL trips on 777HD, both packed to the brim, except in J. Op-ups everywhere.

Not enough capacity in Y IMHO.

Stock should be $100 if AC was all Y cabin, confirmed here on FT. Invest now.

Edit: Change of Situation!

AC planes going out empty on TPAC routes!!!

New target price $2 confirmed on FT. Over capacity.

Everyone short quick you have been warned!

Edit 2: News Update

Analysts are currently debating the current stock price of FT, and what it will be at tomorrow. There are major concerns.

An intern writing his first stock report based on numbers generated by a data mining software from [insert known firm here] just wrote:

Due to uncertainties about the future, we are unable to determine the performance of the stock at this time. We currently place a 50% chance of the stock dropping to $[insert your favourite single digit number here].

If the future continues to remain uncertain, we will be unable to accurately predict future (and by proxy, the future AC stock price).

For now, we will simply argue that the stock will go up/down at an indeterminate time, so that when it does go up/down we will be able to say "I told you so".

By the way, demand for Canadian dollar investments has nothing to do with CAD exchange rate. So all selling/buying can be directly attributed to stock performance with 100% reliability, 1 % of the time.

Last edited by SparseFlyer; Jan 14, 2016 at 5:24 pm Reason: merge separate posts
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:10 pm

Professional TECHNICAL ANALYSIS of AC Stock Price CRASH!!!!!

Professional Free Advice. Trust me, I'm an engineer.

As you can see in the figure below. There have been multiple peaks and valleys, and we can see that there is great instability in the stock price.

The super volume seen in 2014 prompted an unusual buying spree that created huge momentum for the stock. But now, the volume is down, and we can see that all price supports have been broken because the beam loads were not calculated properly!!

Further more, by projecting my moving averages and bollinger bands (how do they work anyway), we can expect a stock price of $2 within the next year. Unless the price of the stock goes up, in which case it wont go to $2.

Free advice, youre welcome.

Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Professional Free Advice. Trust me, I'm an engineer.
As you can see in the figure below. There have been multiple peaks and valleys, and we can see that there is great instability in the stock price.
What's your deal in this thread exactly?
Some of us have had opinions regarding AC's ASM explosion and have acted accordingly with AC's stock. It's worked out very nicely for some of us. It's all in black and white in this thread and others. As in, we've bet on our thoughts with real money.
Sometimes it doesn't work out. Guess we got "lucky" here

So, What's your deal? All talk, no rock? If not, post your position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.