Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:18 pm

So these benefits apply when flying with reward ticket only? Just want to make sure that is the case.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/cards/cibc.html

First checked bag free
With the CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite™ Card and the CIBC Aerogold Visa™ Card for Business, this benefit applies whenever the Primary Cardholder redeems their Aeroplan flight reward (defined as a ClassicFlight or Market Fare flight reward) from their Aeroplan account and travels on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible....

Priority Check-in and Priority Boarding
With the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card and the CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Business, these benefits apply whenever the Primary Cardholder redeems their Aeroplan flight reward (defined as a ClassicFlight or Market Fare flight reward) from their Aeroplan account and travels on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible.

Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass with Aeroplan flight rewards
With the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card and the CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Business, the Primary Cardholder will receive one Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass annually.
The Primary Cardholder may access the Maple Leaf Lounge, where available, upon presentation of a One-Time Guest Pass along with a valid, same-day boarding pass for travel on an Aeroplan flight reward operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Each Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass applies for a single entry annually by one person only.
The Primary Cardholder may share Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass with other companions travelling on Aeroplan flight rewards operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Subject to space availability and at Air Canada's sole discretion, companions may access the lounge upon payment of the fees outlined at aircanada.com/lounge.

Originally Posted by Clipper801
CIBC Aerogold Infinite cardholders also get when flying on an Aeroplan reward flight on AC, *A excluded:
1 MLL pass. Expiry Feb. 28, 2015.
Priority check-in and priority boarding.
1st bag free.

Additional benefits coming mid 2014:
3 day out-of-province medical for those aged 65 or older
Trip Cancellation Insurance
Purchase Security & extended Protection Insurance

I just received my MLL voucher today and it is not personalized but restricted to be used in conjunction with an Aeroplan reward ticket on AC only.

Last edited by 119394; Jan 6, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
You just don't get it. It's not who collects the money, but who provides the service.

If cibc says my wife is technically no longer a customer, that is rude and says they don't want to service her any more. But if that is true (she's no longer a customer because her card is sold to TD), should that mean my wife doesn't need to pay cibc any more, until TD does the transfer and issue the statement in mid-2014? Don't think so.

It is just wrong a rude to say you're no longer a customer because your card is sold to TD. CIBC should say you are still a customer and we'll still provide service to you until you get transitioned.
First of all you say she says they said. And what exactly the words were. Regardless, you wife is entitles to be offended, lots of people are of the whole transitioning situation, most care less how we the holders of credit cards are called "technically" (500 000 of us). Has CIBC refused to provide the service on the card to your wife?. Bank's reps are the same as most customer service reps over the phone. Most of the time they read from a bad script given to them to recite. Supervisors included.

Suggest to have a conversation with CIBC and provide them with the phrase you posted " CIBC should say you are still a customer and we'll still provide service to you until you get transitioned".

Telling us what is rude and what is proper for CIBC' conduct is futile.

Yah, I get it..... you are upset.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
First of all you say she says they said. And what exactly the words were. Regardless, you wife is entitles to be offended, lots of people are of the whole transitioning situation, most care less how we the holders of credit cards are called "technically" (500 000 of us). Has CIBC refused to provide the service on the card to your wife?. Bank's reps are the same as most customer service reps over the phone. Most of the time they read from a bad script given to them to recite. Supervisors included.

Suggest to have a conversation with CIBC and provide them with the phrase you posted " CIBC should say you are still a customer and we'll still provide service to you until you get transitioned".

Telling us what is rude and what is proper for CIBC' conduct is futile.

Yah, I get it..... you are upset.
Yes that cibc supervisor was being unhelpful and at first kept saying things cannot be done any more, and that my wife is technically no longer a cibc customer. Yes my wife was upset. When my wife asked to speak to that supervisor's boss... eventually that supervisor was able to do.

Yap, you don't care that someone else was upset by what a cibc supervisor said, and you keep wanting to belittle that (500,000 of us...) But good to see you finally get it.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:10 pm

Yap, no big deal.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by 119394
So these benefits apply when flying with reward ticket only? Just want to make sure that is the case.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/cards/cibc.html

First checked bag free
With the CIBC Aerogold® Visa Infinite™ Card and the CIBC Aerogold Visa™ Card for Business, this benefit applies whenever the Primary Cardholder redeems their Aeroplan flight reward (defined as a ClassicFlight or Market Fare flight reward) from their Aeroplan account and travels on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible....

Priority Check-in and Priority Boarding
With the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card and the CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Business, these benefits apply whenever the Primary Cardholder redeems their Aeroplan flight reward (defined as a ClassicFlight or Market Fare flight reward) from their Aeroplan account and travels on a flight operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Flights operated by other airlines are not eligible.

Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass with Aeroplan flight rewards
With the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card and the CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Business, the Primary Cardholder will receive one Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass annually.
The Primary Cardholder may access the Maple Leaf Lounge, where available, upon presentation of a One-Time Guest Pass along with a valid, same-day boarding pass for travel on an Aeroplan flight reward operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Each Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass applies for a single entry annually by one person only.
The Primary Cardholder may share Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Pass with other companions travelling on Aeroplan flight rewards operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge. Subject to space availability and at Air Canada's sole discretion, companions may access the lounge upon payment of the fees outlined at aircanada.com/lounge.

CIBC Aerogold Infinite cardholders also get when flying on an Aeroplan reward flight on AC, *A excluded:
1 MLL pass. Expiry Feb. 28, 2015.
Priority check-in and priority boarding.
1st bag free.

Additional benefits coming mid 2014:
3 day out-of-province medical for those aged 65 or older
Trip Cancellation Insurance
Purchase Security & extended Protection Insurance

I just received my MLL voucher today and it is not personalized but restricted to be used in conjunction with an Aeroplan reward ticket on AC only.
What is the difference between the benefits of the Aerogold and infinIte card from CIBC?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by 119394
Yes, only when flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket on AC. *A partner flights excluded.

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
What is the difference between the benefits of the Aerogold and infinIte card from CIBC?
Information is here:
https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards...l-rewards.html
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Yes, only when flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket on AC. *A partner flights excluded.

Information is here:
https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards...l-rewards.html
Partner flights excluded makes the benefits not very attractive.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Partner flights excluded makes the benefits not very attractive.
Perhaps, that is why Amex could never offer these services seamlessly in their products, and therefore never offer these benefits period.

Do US cards offer checked bag free, and priority status on partner airlines? Perhaps this is industry standard.

I've checked in priority status a few times in partner airlines with the Platinum Amex, and the partner airlines do not recognize the card for priority status, but offered the priority assistance anyways.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Perhaps, that is why Amex could never offer these services seamlessly in their products, and therefore never offer these benefits period.

Do US cards offer checked bag free, and priority status on partner airlines? Perhaps this is industry standard.

I've checked in priority status a few times in partner airlines with the Platinum Amex, and the partner airlines do not recognize the card for priority status, but offered the priority assistance anyways.
I was hoping that the new TD Aeroplan Visa will be similar to the Chase UA Mileage Plus Club Visa, all for US$395:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPCl...ate=2013-05-23

The TD Privilege Visa is really not in the same league for other than the annual fee.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I was hoping that the new TD Aeroplan Visa will be similar to the Chase UA Mileage Plus Club Visa, all for US$395:

https://www.theexplorercard.com/MPCl...ate=2013-05-23

The TD Privilege Visa is really not in the same league for other than the annual fee.
That is if you assign a $0 value to HH Diamond, or instant FPC Premier, with accelerated 5 overnight stays to FPC Platinum.

UA card doesn't have the above.

I agree, it would be nice to have 1.5 points per dollar spent, No Forex, unlimited lounge, 1 or 2 checked bags, $100 statement credit. But they are in the States and we're in Canada.

Infinite Privilege has the 2 for 1 shorthaul benefit, similar to the Aeroplat. That's another 15K point bonus right there, but you get this feature with the regular TD Infinite card (which I believe trumps value over CIBC Infinite Visa).
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Elite for AC, SPG, PP, FPC
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
...Infinite Privilege has the 2 for 1 shorthaul benefit, similar to the Aeroplat. That's another 15K point bonus right there, but you get this feature with the regular TD Infinite card (which I believe trumps value over CIBC Infinite Visa).

I'm not understanding how the regular TD Infinite Card trumps the CIBC Infinite Visa - same fee, but the signup bonus for TD is 15,000 miles but CIBC is 20,000 miles? What am I missing - why do you think TD is better?

Are you referring to the Air Canada Benefits (Complimentary Checked Bag on aeroplan fights, Priority Check-In and Priority Boarding on aeroplan flights, Access to the Maple LeafTM Lounge - 1 one-time pass)?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CCFP
I'm not understanding how the regular TD Infinite Card trumps the CIBC Infinite Visa - same fee, but the signup bonus for TD is 15,000 miles but CIBC is 20,000 miles? What am I missing - why do you think TD is better?

Are you referring to the Air Canada Benefits (Complimentary Checked Bag on aeroplan fights, Priority Check-In and Priority Boarding on aeroplan flights, Access to the Maple LeafTM Lounge - 1 one-time pass)?
I was told yesterday and I'll have to double check.. you receive a 2 for 1 shorthaul benefit with TD Infinite Visa (this benefit is definitely on the Privilege).

Say you make a shorthaul booking for 15K points, you can bring a companion just for the taxes and fees (15K off/bonus). A 2 for 1 if you will. If you use this benefit, you'll receive 30,000 from TD, compared to 20,000 miles from CIBC.

Edit: I am correct, however its limited time.. So TD is definitely the winner. See the following link:

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...inite-card.jsp

A Welcome Bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles upon first purchase and for a limited time, a 2-for-1 flight reward†
To earn 1.5 miles for every $1 you spend on gas, grocery and drug store purchases using your Card2
To earn 1 mile for every $1 you spend on all other purchases using your Card3
To earn miles twice4 when you pay with your TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card and present your Aeroplan Membership Card at over 150 Aeroplan partner brands and with 100 online retailers through Aeroplan's eStore. Visit aeroplan.comundefined for a list of participating Aeroplan partners
An extensive suite of travel insurances5
Benefits from Air CanadaTM6 such as: 1st Checked Bag Free when travelling on an Aeroplan flight reward operated by Air Canada (for Primary Cardholder)
Priority Check-in when travelling on an Aeroplan flight reward operated by Air Canada (for Primary Cardholder)
Priority Boarding when travelling on an Aeroplan flight reward operated by Air Canada (for Primary Cardholder)
Annual Maple LeafTM Lounge One Time Guest Pass when travelling on an Aeroplan flight reward operated by Air Canada

Faster access to DistinctionundefinedTM, Aeroplan's recognition program that offers a range of Distinction benefits such as exclusive flight rewards, bonus mile offers and privileges. To learn more visit aeroplan.com/distinctionundefined
Complimentary Visa Infinite Concierge service7 available 24/7
A Card that offers no miles expiry, as long as you are a Cardholder
Note: Please visit inbranch or phone toll free for FYF. Internet will not offer this.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Jan 12, 2014 at 4:58 pm Reason: Posted TD Offer for Comparison
Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:33 pm

churn churn churn!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:51 pm

So, I have the CIBC Aerogold from last year. Can I cancel it, and reapply for this Aerogold and get the bonus again? I thought CIBC was going to ditch the Aerogold and market the Aventura cards...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Does anyone know if the bonus miles from CIBC qualify Aeroplan Distinction? Amex and TD bonus miles qualify Distinction now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.