Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold

Apply for a new, eligible card between January 1, 2014 and March 31, 2014 and you can earn;
  • a Welcome Bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles after your first card purchase; and
  • an additional 5,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $500 in net card purchases during your first three consecutive monthly statement periods;
Plus, we’ll cover the 1st year’s annual fee.

Infinite card: https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/aerogol...ldVisaInfinite
Regular card: https://www.cibc.com/ca/visa/aerogol...vel-Aerogold-E

Trademarks and disclaimers
*Offer applies to the following newly approved credit card accounts: CIBC Aerogold Visa Card and CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Card (each an “Eligible Card”). If you apply for an Eligible Card between January 1, 2014 and March 31, 2014 and are approved, you will be eligible to receive the following (the “Offer”):

1. a Welcome Bonus of 15,000 Aeroplan Miles when you make your first purchase at any time with an Eligible Card;

2. an additional bonus of 5,000 Aeroplan Miles if you have at least $500 in net card purchases at the time the Aeroplan Miles are being awarded and, such purchases are posted to your Eligible Card account during your first three consecutive monthly statement periods (regardless of whether or not your monthly statement is issued to you). Net card purchases means card purchases less returns. The following do not qualify as purchases: cash advances, interest, fees, balance transfers, payments, or CIBC Convenience Cheques. It may take up to several business days for purchases to be posted to your account. Bonus Aeroplan Miles will be awarded to the primary cardholder on the first monthly statement after the qualifying purchase(s) are posted to the account; and

3. a 100% rebate on the first year annual fee for the primary cardholder and any authorized user you add to the Eligible Card account at the time you submit your application (up to a maximum of 3) (the “Rebate”). Rebate will be awarded to the primary cardholder and will appear as a credit against the applicable annual fee(s) on the first monthly statement.

Eligible Card account must be open and in good standing at the time the Aeroplan Miles and Rebate are awarded. Offer applies to newly approved Eligible Card accounts only; transfers from an existing CIBC credit card to an Eligible Card and authorized users added after your application is submitted are excluded. Offer is non-transferable. Offer may be revoked if you appear to be manipulating or abusing it, or are engaged in any suspicious or fraudulent activity, as determined by CIBC in its sole discretion. Offer may be withdrawn or changed without notice at any time.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
This is crazy. Thumb up to CIBC for increasing the stakes. We are now in a situation where TD is the "primary" AP card issuer, and yet CIBC/Amex deals blow them out of the water.

TD simply seems uninterested in having competitive card products, however it baffles that they spent so much on the AP deal and they come out of it utterly screwed. They need to invest in customers/product not branding, heads should be rolling at HQ.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by markandrew
TD simply seems uninterested in having competitive card products, however it baffles that they spent so much on the AP deal and they come out of it utterly screwed. They need to invest in customers/product not branding, heads should be rolling at HQ.
Or maybe TD just wanted to kick the legs out from under CIBC without it costing them too much money - hence they were able to offer Aeroplan what looked like a more lucrative deal without ever intending to market it as aggressively as CIBC did.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Looks like the TD cards are the only ones offering AC benefits (for rewards travel, unless you get the Infinite Privilege), so if you don't have status with AC, TD might be a better option.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:28 am

Wow CIBC really gamed TD on this one. As someone said in another thread, CIBC was in the driving seat on this deal and made sure that even giving clients away, it would come out on top both in offerings and client base.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by yvr76
Looks like the TD cards are the only ones offering AC benefits (for rewards travel, unless you get the Infinite Privilege), so if you don't have status with AC, TD might be a better option.
I dunno about that. Most people with travel rewards cards are those who travel a lot. No one gets a travel rewards card so they can use the rewards for that one random trip that pops up.

If someone runs a small business (but travels rarely) and puts 300K on their card every year, why in the world would they a) get a travel rewards card or b) go with TD even if they do get the travel rewards card. Why pay 400 bucks for benefits that you will rarely use? Are they even considered "benefits" at that point? You essentially paid for everything out of that 400...

So the TD card is essentially useless. I am not defending CIBC here but they do have a superior offering for a much broader range of customer preferences
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
Too bad I've had the CIBC Visa Infinite for the past 10 years. Don't think I'd cancel now and able to reapply to take advantage of this promo.

When will we find out if our account belongs to TD or CIBC?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat
You can call and ask CIBC (they told me within 10 seconds that my account has been sold to TD). They told me I am still technically a CIBC customer until the transition date that will be in the info TD sends within a few weeks. I'm not sure if that would disqualify you from applying for a new Aerogold or not.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by YOWler
You can call and ask CIBC (they told me within 10 seconds that my account has been sold to TD). They told me I am still technically a CIBC customer until the transition date that will be in the info TD sends within a few weeks. I'm not sure if that would disqualify you from applying for a new Aerogold or not.
Did they mention anything about whether we have a choice in this matter?

Because I am AeroGold right now but will get reduced to Platinum when I'm shifted to TD (which I expect to be) and will have to start at square one (since I have no history with TD).

Also, any mention of getting the sign-up bonus miles since we are being forced to get the new TD card?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat
@MaydayMayday No choice. I asked to be switched to another CIBC product and the agent said it was no longer possible because my account has been sold to TD.

I asked to speak to a supervisor (had to insist). He confirmed that they are under strict rules - no changes can be made. When I asked about cancellation, he was quick to offer a reversal of my annual fee from a few months back. I suspect CIBC has a large penalty for accounts cancelled before the official switch.

He said any promotions or details about transition would be provided by TD - so I guess we'll have to wait for the packages from them.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:57 am

@MaydayMayday No choice. I asked to be switched to another CIBC product and the agent said it was no longer possible because my account has been sold to TD.

I asked to speak to a supervisor (had to insist). He confirmed that they are under strict rules - no changes can be made. When I asked about cancellation, he was quick to offer a reversal of my annual fee from a few months back. I suspect CIBC has a large penalty for accounts cancelled before the official switch.

He said any promotions or details about transition would be provided by TD - so I guess we'll have to wait for the packages from them.
This blows but on the plus side, you just saved me 120 bucks!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:02 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
I haven't paid a CIBC annual fee in probably 5 years now, so the reversal won't help me. I just sign up when the first year is free, and cancel in month 10. Rinse, repeat.

I'm not a big CIBC customer so I suspect I've been sold - I wonder what I should do to maximize my TD + CIBC signups... 35,000+ points for no fee is pretty tempting.

* I'm lucky enough to be financially safe to flip cards often. Do not play this game at home if you cannot. Also don't take financial advice from FT posts.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
My wife called on Dec. 31 and was told her cibc aeropeso infinite card was flagged as sold to TD, so she is technically NO LONGER a cibc customer. This was from a supervisor. My wife was quite unhappy and tried to explain she did not get transitioned to TD yet and it is still a cibc card, how can they say she's technically no longer a customer.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by yscleo
My wife called on Dec. 31 and was told her cibc aeropeso infinite card was flagged as sold to TD, so she is technically NO LONGER a cibc customer. This was from a supervisor. My wife was quite unhappy and tried to explain she did not get transitioned to TD yet and it is still a cibc card, how can they say she's technically no longer a customer.
None of my business, but why is she unhappy? Doesn't this open the door for her to apply for a new Aerogold, with the 20K $0FYF offering? gtpdiddy posted that you can apply for a new card if your CIBC card is sold to TD. See post #430 here at the TD thread.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
None of my business, but why is she unhappy? Doesn't this open the door for her to apply for a new Aerogold, with the 20K $0FYF offering? gtpdiddy posted that you can apply for a new card if your CIBC card is sold to TD. See post #430 here at the TD thread.
On Dec. 31, there was no info of the new cibc cards, or new td cards. But she was really unhappy because technically she is still a cibc customer, until her card actually got transitioned to td. It is still a cibc card, she can still use the card and buy stuff, and it is still cibc she needs to make payments to. So it is ludicrous to say she already is technically no longer a cibc customer.

Yes she can apply for the new cards, but that's a separate matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.