Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Has the 2014 version of the CIBC Aerogold Visa changed so drastically? Between my wife and I, we've applied for this card 8 times in the past 2 years...every single one of them did NOT see the 15K signup points UNTIL AFTER the first statement generates (after at least $1 purchase).

If the points are posting without waiting for a bill to generate, then this means they've changed the points posting/accrual system for the Aerogold, and in a HUGE way, to now be similar to the AMEX MR cards, where the MR points show up immediately after the purchase posts as a transaction online at Amex.ca.

Not doubting what's being reported here, but that is a big shift in the way CIBC has posted the Aeroplan points, if indeed the points are posting before a bill is generated.

I haven't applied for the 2014 version (15K + 5K) yet, so I cannot confirm.
I think others are misrepresenting the way the points are posted. I had the cards before and also new ones this year and there is no difference in methods. You get your points on your statement first and then its posted to your Aeroplan Account, might show up with the same date. Meeting the requirements is a must, first purchase and $500 in 3 months if one desires the extra 5000 points. TD does the same think except no extra.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by alc
So, do you get the 15K on activation or on 1st statement... or it is random. Cana0123 seems to indicate it is at 1st statement while roastpuff seems to state at activation.

Am going to apply this weekend with my personal banker, just want to set the right expectation for myself.
Personal banker, aye ......aye.
Some of us just did the old fashion phone way and it worked, twice for me. Applied, received, activated, spent, and points credited ready to be used. Also saved on gas.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:48 pm

yay, bonuses for me posting too
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alc
So, do you get the 15K on activation or on 1st statement... or it is random. Cana0123 seems to indicate it is at 1st statement while roastpuff seems to state at activation.

Am going to apply this weekend with my personal banker, just want to set the right expectation for myself.
My case is a bit odd, as this was a conversion and not a new application. The card was active, and immediately converted from an Aventura MC to Aerogold Visa after my phone call. I continued using the card for small expenses, and I believe my statement posted on the 27th of Feb - hence why I got the 15,000 points.

Sorry to be misleading.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by roastpuff
My case is a bit odd, as this was a conversion and not a new application. The card was active, and immediately converted from an Aventura MC to Aerogold Visa after my phone call. I continued using the card for small expenses, and I believe my statement posted on the 27th of Feb - hence why I got the 15,000 points.

Sorry to be misleading.
Now I undstand why your bonus posting was so quick.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold

Sorry to be misleading.
What did they offer on your Aventura conversion? 15,000 but paying annual fee (carry over the AV annual fee?)? I had hoped to set up an Aerogold using part of my Aventura limit instead of my credit being pulled, which people had told me was possible, but the agent refused.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:35 am
alc

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Personal banker, aye ......aye.
Some of us just did the old fashion phone way and it worked, twice for me. Applied, received, activated, spent, and points credited ready to be used. Also saved on gas.
They have quota per month to achieve "x" application (i do not know what x is), hence rather give it to a stranger over the phone, I always give that to my personal banker.

Sorry to be misleading.
Thanks for the info. I will now set my expectation correctly.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:38 am
alc

Originally Posted by markandrew
What did they offer on your Aventura conversion? 15,000 but paying annual fee (carry over the AV annual fee?)? I had hoped to set up an Aerogold using part of my Aventura limit instead of my credit being pulled, which people had told me was possible, but the agent refused.
You can get the detail on what roastpuff got in post #61
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Now I undstand why your bonus posting was so quick.
Yes, a bit of an odd case. The Aventura MC card was treated as an Aerogold Visa after the phone call, and my purchases basically accrued AP points instead of AV. I just needed to activate the new Aerogold Infinite card after receiving it.
Originally Posted by markandrew
I got the full 20k and FYF. They first offered 15k, no extra 5k bonus, but I politely mentioned the bonus offer to the agent on the phone and then he relented and gave me the extra 5k bonus for $500 spend. I told them about getting the FYF too, and I got that. Be polite, and if you get an unhelpful agent, HUACA. There are some good eggs and some bad eggs in the CIBC call centre.

I asked about my Aventura points and they offered to convert it for me. Originally I though it would be 1:1 which would've been awesome, but eventually found out it was 3:1 when I checked my account. Better than nothing. If you had the Aventura Infinite (or Gold? Was there a Gold Aventura?) they said you could have them converted at a 1:1 ratio.
Originally Posted by alc
Thanks for the info. I will now set my expectation correctly.
Glad to have helped!
Originally Posted by alc
You can get the detail on what roastpuff got in post #61
Yes, that should summarize it nicely but feel free to post or PM me questions.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Anybody experience this? I received a statement today of $0 balance off of a closed card which I have received statements now for 4 months. Is CIBC trying to reactivate my card.

I sense, they may want me to call to inquire about my old CIBC Visa. I was planning to apply later on the year for the bonus, but not now.

Any advice?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Anybody experience this? I received a statement today of $0 balance off of a closed card which I have received statements now for 4 months. Is CIBC trying to reactivate my card.

I sense, they may want me to call to inquire about my old CIBC Visa. I was planning to apply later on the year for the bonus, but not now.

Any advice?
Apply now, do not have to wait. No limit on # of cards at CIBC. Even the same ones, rep said.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Apply now, do not have to wait. No limit on # of cards at CIBC. Even the same ones, rep said.
You meant we can apply for two Aerogold infinite cards and get 40k bonus miles and all Distinction eligible?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

wait, what?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:29 pm

"an additional 5,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $500 in net card purchases during your first three consecutive monthly statement periods"
Does this mean I need to spend $500 each month for the first three months, for a total of $1,500?
Or does it mean the sum of the total amount I spend over the first three months needs to be $500? (e.g. $200, $200, $100)
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by agjil
"an additional 5,000 Aeroplan Miles when you spend $500 in net card purchases during your first three consecutive monthly statement periods"
Does this mean I need to spend $500 each month for the first three months, for a total of $1,500?
Or does it mean the sum of the total amount I spend over the first three months needs to be $500? (e.g. $200, $200, $100)
Sum of $500 over the first 3 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.