Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:53 pm
alc

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I applied 2nd CIBC card last Friday and have not received approval email til now. I will call CIBC tonight.
You might want to wait til Monday as I think the department that handle these close at 6pm EST.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
You might want to wait til Monday as I think the department that handle these close at 6pm EST.
Thanks alc. Then I will wait to Monday. I also need to figure out how to answer their question, say, why you want a 2nd card while holding a card with 17k credit limit.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:19 pm
alc

BTW, for some strange (dreaming, maybe) reason, I thought today is Friday when I said wait til next Monday... so if you want you can call tomorrow.

In regarding reason, I think you can just say to separate you r expenses between personal and work expenses.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
BTW, for some strange (dreaming, maybe) reason, I thought today is Friday when I said wait til next Monday... so if you want you can call tomorrow.

In regarding reason, I think you can just say to separate you r expenses between personal and work expenses.
Right, today is not Friday.

Very good answer! I will use it tomorrow. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: *void
CIBC have never asked me why I have duplicate cards during the card activation phase. During the application phase, yes, but once you're approved, all they care about now is that you activate it properly and know how to get/set your PIN.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Thanks alc. Then I will wait to Monday. I also need to figure out how to answer their question, say, why you want a 2nd card while holding a card with 17k credit limit.
Plus dancing around the question why not up the current credit limit. I know TD only increases 10K at a time. Years ago when I dealt with CIBC, it was iirc 10K credit limit increase steps as well. There, perhaps that could be one of the reasons, but YMMV.

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
So what was the highest charge ever on your Amex Charge cards? And is this the limit for you on these cards?
A couple 40K, one north of 52K iirc.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Ok, it's not CIBC Aerogold but I decided to bite the bullet and act on the 20K SPG Amex bonus. I'm running a little low on SPG points and thought it's not a bad deal.

Got it approved instantly and now I'm sitting on 2 SPG Amex cards. It's the 2nd time I've had 2 simultaneous SPG Amex cards.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Ok, it's not CIBC Aerogold but I decided to bite the bullet and act on the 20K SPG Amex bonus. I'm running a little low on SPG points and thought it's not a bad deal.

Got it approved instantly and now I'm sitting on 2 SPG Amex cards. It's the 2nd time I've had 2 simultaneous SPG Amex cards.
2 AMEX SPG Personal cards at once? or 1 Personal, 1 Business?

SPG Persona is 21K points via referral, no FYF sadly
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Yes, 2 Amex SPG personal cards. At once. It's my 2nd time doing it.

The FYF used to be for 10K points. I figure I'm paying $120 for another 10K points, which is an acceptable buy ratio. Also, I need the points.

I have no idea if the new Amex USA rule about only getting 1 bonus per card (per a person's lifetime) but I'm not taking any chances.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:24 am

Has anyone been asked to go into a branch with pay stubs at time of card activation?

I applied a few weeks ago for the regular aerogold, and they sent me an infinite. My salary JUST meets the requirement for the infinite, but I typically come in a couple grand under each year when the final tally is in.

When I went to activate the card I got forwarded automatically to a rep, who then forwarded me to someone else who told me they needed to do some "random security checks". Asked me a bunch of questions, checked my credit report again, and then told me I needed to go into a CIBC branch with paystubs, a file number, ID, and have the rep call a phone number she gave me.

That was 2 weeks ago, just before I left for a trip, I just got back and am planning to head in there today.

This will be my second aerogold card ever, and I've only ever had one at a time. I'm especially annoyed at the fact that applied for a regular gold, and they sent me an infinite.

Anyone gone through this? Thoughts?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:34 am

Can someone post a quick overview of Aerogold vs Infinite. Meeting my bank in an hour.

I know both have FYF and 20K AP.

Do both have transferrable MLL pass for AP reward booking?

Any Infinite benefits Aerogold doesnt have *while travelling* - check in/bags, etc?
Anything worth noting (don't care about increased insurance etc).?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:38 am
alc

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Any Infinite benefits Aerogold doesnt have *while travelling* - check in/bags, etc?
Here is the link from the CIBC web site that compare the 2 cards:

https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards...tml?vagc,vagic

but what I see seems to be limited to just the following:

- Coverage includes the first 15 days (age 64 & under)
- Trip Interruption Insurance
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by alc
Here is the link from the CIBC web site that compare the 2 cards:

https://www.cibc.com/ca/credit-cards...tml?vagc,vagic

but what I see seems to be limited to just the following:

- Coverage includes the first 15 days (age 64 & under)
- Trip Interruption Insurance
Ok, Thanks.
Thought there were MLL passes etc in the welcome kit of some cards these days? Maybe that's TD ...... Either way, no biggie.
I'm going to take advantage of this today.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:35 am
alc

Ok, Thanks.
Thought there were MLL passes etc in the welcome kit of some cards these days? Maybe that's TD ...... Either way, no biggie.
look like the comparison chart that I provided above do not go into specific benefit. You will need to click thru each individual link to see the differences. Sorry.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:59 am

Ok, Thanks.
I did get 1 MLL pass (only eligible on Aeroplan Reward flight, same as TD Aeroplan Infinite) with my CIBC Aerogold Infinite

so I have total of 2 now - one from TD, one from CIBC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.