Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold offering 20k AP Miles, First Year Free

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
Some FT members here got 2 "exact same" Aerogold card at the same time, so you can definitely apply the card based on you plan, just that you didn't need to cancel the one that you have just yet, if you don't want to.
I got two CIBC Aerogold infinite but not applied the same time, about 2 months apart.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by ibopm
Random question, I got the CIBC Aerogold in July 2013, and now they're telling me that they've handed me over to TD. What should I do to extract as many points out of this ordeal as possible while avoiding annual fees?

I don't think I can get the Aventura card w/ CIBC unless I pay an annual fee right?
You should have called up CIBC after you were notified that your card was sold to TD (say late 2013 or earlier this year) and threatened to cancel unless they gave you $120 credit to offset the upcoming annual fees, and also for some bonus points, such as an extra 1000 Aeros. I did this twice, for each of my two ex-CIBC cards, and had $240 credit sitting in my card accounts until just recently, when I remembered to use the cards to pay for expenses online...didn't want to take the chance that the credit amounts would get LOST in the transition to TD coffers. At this point in the 'game', I don't think you'll have any leverage anymore with calling into CIBC negotiating for the goodies now.

NotJustDreaming posted that by going into TD, as an existing TD customer, you could get a 'helpful' in-branch rep to convert your incoming ex-CIBC card immediately to a new TD Aero card, complete with the waived fees and welcome points, 2-for-1 offer on a shortie. Not sure if you can still pull that off at this time. Though, keep in mind that TD are still offering the waived fees promo to specially selected existing TD customers (who prolly do NOT yet have a TD Aero Visa) via phone or in-branch visits.

I don't think either of the CIBC Aerogold nor Aventura are on promo with waived fees right now, so no point to follow suggestions to sign up for these cards until the promo returns. In any event, with Aventura, with no more ability to convert to Aeroplan, I find it to be less flexible/valuable any more.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by alc
Some FT members here got 2 "exact same" Aerogold card at the same time...
^^
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by yscleo
They just rebated you one year of annual fee, and that "totally destroyed" your plan to get either a year free or more points?
My father was offered 30,000 signing bonus + annual fee rebate for a year when his card was due for renewal. I kind of wanted that deal
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by gchc
My father was offered 30,000 signing bonus + annual fee rebate for a year when his card was due for renewal. I kind of wanted that deal
There was 30k Aventura sign up bonus last year. Never heard of 30k bonus before for ae, for cibc.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by gchc
My neighbour has been carrying his Aerogold for around 10 yrs (so he tells me) and said that he was offered the recent 20K welcome offer and waived fees for a NEW card signup, and also $120 credit on his existing long-time Aerogold card. He took both, btw.

Have not heard of a retention bonus that high and waived fees, on an existing card. Are you sure it wasn't for a new card signup? Or, as per yscleo's response, was the 30K offer for the Aventura and not the Aerogold, and was it for signing up for a new card?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:40 am

CIBC sometimes gives new member bonuses for existing customers, but usually involves a product change.

Got the 15k bonus a few years ago when converting Aventura Visa to Aventura MC. Don't remember about the fee though...
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:11 am

Oh sorry, it was not 30K, it was 20K, similiar to the offer that JJonahJ's neighbour got. However, it was a response from CIBC to us calling in to cancel the card and that is what they offered for us to stay. Needless to say, he took it as well as the Aventura Infinite bonus sign up as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.