Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer

They’re not all in Arizona and not all sitting idle.
FIN 516 being taken for a walk this morning.
Gotta stretch those legs before the long flight to YUL.
flyincoll likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
If you haven't read the Indonesia NTSC report, you should. The report lists 9 contributing factors:

Contributing Factors Contributing factors defines as actions, omissions, events, conditions, or a combination thereof, which, if eliminated, avoided or absent, would have reduced the probability of the accident or incident occurring, or mitigated the severity of the consequences of the accident or incident. The presentation is based on chronological order and not to show the degree of contribution.

1. During the design and certification of the Boeing 737-8 (MAX), assumptions were made about flight crew response to malfunctions which, even though consistent with current industry guidelines, turned out to be incorrect.

2. Based on the incorrect assumptions about flight crew response and an incomplete review of associated multiple flight deck effects, MCAS’s reliance on a single sensor was deemed appropriate and met all certification requirements.

3. MCAS was designed to rely on a single AOA sensor, making it vulnerable to erroneous input from that sensor.

4. The absence of guidance on MCAS or more detailed use of trim in the flight manuals and in flight crew training, made it more difficult for flight crews to properly respond to uncommanded MCAS.

5. The AOA DISAGREE alert was not correctly enabled during Boeing 737-8 (MAX) development. As a result, it did not appear during flight with the mis-calibrated AOA sensor, could not be documented by the flight crew and was therefore not available to help maintenance identify the mis-calibrated AOA sensor.

6. The replacement AOA sensor that was installed on the accident aircraft had been mis-calibrated during an earlier repair. This mis-calibration was not detected during the repair.

7. The investigation could not determine that the installation test of the AOA sensor was performed properly. The mis-calibration was not detected. 8. Lack of documentation in the aircraft flight and maintenance log about the continuous stick shaker and use of the Runaway Stabilizer NNC meant that information was not available to the maintenance crew in Jakarta nor was it available to the accident crew, making it more difficult for each to take the appropriate actions.

9. The multiple alerts, repetitive MCAS activations, and distractions related to numerous ATC communications were not able to be effectively managed. This was caused by the difficulty of the situation and performance in manual handling, NNC execution, and flight crew communication, leading to ineffective CRM application and workload management. These performances had previously been identified during training and reappeared during the accident flight.
I thought the report was reasonably balanced and thorough.

Here is another take on the report: Indonesia’s MAX Report: Why Separate Man From Machine?

Here are the last three paragraphs:

The safety committee issued a long list of recommendations related to oversight of certification and human factors such as training manuals, crew behavior in emergencies and the effect of multiple alarms and how pilots deal with them. While it dinged Lion Air for suboptimal hazard reporting methods and record keeping, it was curiously silent on the lack of an overall safety culture and on pilot training.

If there’s a shortcoming in the investigation, that might be it. I’ve heard professionals argue—some themselves MAX pilots—that the crew should have been able to handle the MCAS runaway and that if they had, neither of the 737s would have crashed. I think this is undeniable. But also undeniable is that through a series of bad decisions and lack of regulatory oversight, Boeing built an airplane that confronted the pilots with a confusing abnormal. The fact that it happened twice in six months shows that Boeing was wrong in its understanding of how improbable such an event could be, regardless of what ignited it and irrespective of what acceptably skilled pilots should be able to handle.

In that sense, I think it’s wrong to separate what the pilots knew, didn’t know or did from what Boeing knew, didn’t know or did. By design and with great success, we’ve lumped everything into one internationally approved safety-driven system. And in this case, the system failed.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
Gotta stretch those legs before the long flight to YUL.
Well they all seem to be going somewhere. Last week, there were 4 Max aircraft residing outside at YVR (2 WS, 2 AC), and now from the best I can tell, just the example I showed earlier today remains. Not sure where the other AC plane went (Marana? Mirabel? the back bay of the cavernous hangar?) but I suspect the teal examples contributed to the sudden influx of WestJet Max-8s in CYXX over the past couple days.

Today's jaunt was a simple hour-long engine run-up at the western hold bay, and then back to the company north hangar.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Irrelevant
FIN 516 C-FSNU on its way to YUL

Good thing the winds will have significantly diminished by the time the A/C arrives at YUL.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I did read it. Boeing isn't in the business of transporting people, airlines are. Boeing's goal is to make money, and while the MAX was obviously a bad miscalculation on their part that will affect their profitability, some altruistic sense of responsibility for your family isn't their primary concern. Whether this is good or bad is a different discussion, the reality is they are profit driven first and foremost.
I find it so amazing, people make apologies for Boeing designing a flawed plane for profit that KILLS PEOPLE!

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
I don't have enough time to respond to all of the flaws in your argument, but your claim that the aerodynamics are 1950s demonstrates that you have no clue what you're talking about.
LMAO, so you think the wing, the plane and the entire system is just 2019 design, AND that MCAS wasn't needed BECAUSE the placement of the engine could NOT be accommodated at the original placement on the wing, because the plan is too low?

You all are apologists for a murderous company! They put SHORT TERM profits and bottom line FIRST, safety LAST, they could have re-designed the wing, the landing gear and the wing to accommodate the engine correctly and make a much better product that would stand the test of time! The current 737 Max is ONLY an option because of duopoly and backlog at Airbus, otherwise they'd be dead!

Not sure why you think the designation of the aircraft has even the slightest bearing on passengers. After the aircraft has been recertified (and I think this is a matter of "when", not "if"), the only thing that matters is that the recertification process has been conducted in a thorough and objective manner - that it truly reflects on the safety of the aircraft. Everything else you mention may be a consideration for the airlines that operate the MAX, but it's irrelevant for passengers. As a passenger, if you don't wish to fly the MAX, you can and should take your money elsewhere.
Yet again, defending the unsafe plane?! Once certified it doesn't matter? You forgot that it WAS certified to be safe up until a cpl of months ago... so as long as the FAA who is literally working for Boeing says it's safe, it's done?! 737 Max has a fundemental design flaw, it can never EVER be safe no matter how much Software bandaid is applied! It should be cancelled, a new 73Z or whatever has to replace with, could take 3yrs, but so be it!

If someone feels so strongly that they don't want to fly on a particular aircraft, then they should be informed about the particular aircraft is called, even if a dumb marketing moron changed the name. If someone can't see through a superficial move like renaming an aircraft, they aren't smart enough to hold a passport.
90% of the flying public has no clue what they're flying. I agree that renaming the same dangerous plane to something else would be deceptive practice and shouldn't be allowed!

Originally Posted by j2simpso
The reason I think it may have an impact on the passengers is the association I fear passengers may now have with the MAX and lack of safety. We've never in recent memory had a grounding of this length and severity of a major aircraft like the MAX.

Chances are, for Joe and Jill public, they have been touched in some way by this grounding and may have this negative association.

On the other hand, such a response could be seen as being flat footed. I would be curious what Transport Canada has to say about passengers who feel uncomfortable flying the MAX initially. Will they require all Canadian operators to allow passengers to rebook away from the bird free of charge? Renaming the bird solves these problems, since most kettles only look as far as the bird type when reviewing their itinerary (if at all). I doubt few kettles would go so far as to record the tail number and look it up whilst travelling.

What would happen to such passengers who thought they would be flying on a Airbus A320 only to be told they got MAX'd at the last minute?

Safe Travels,

James
Agreed, I am a frequent flyer, and I won't set foot on Max, because it has fundamental design flaw that a software can't fix. To me, fitting such a large engine to the frame that can't handle it, will NEVER be fully solved in ALL situations! Yeah, it may work in 95% of the cases, weather, situations, but as a Software programmer, we CANNOT possibly foresee ALL scenarios to program for it. Hence, MCAS may not react correctly in a situation unforeseen due to design flaws of this sales person designed plane! I am SHOCKED how many on this forum just think it's OK as long as it's certified again (by paid and bought for FAA)! It is NOT! It should not be certified as-is without HARDWARE changes and updates!

Originally Posted by pitz
What I find so crazy is that Boeing is still stubbornly clinging to the idea that the problems in their aircraft can be fixed with a mere software update and perhaps some training. When one's flying a Cat III ILS into YYT and picking up a bit of ice on approach at night, waiting for the lights at the end of the runway to appear, the last thing that's tolerable is a less than fully redundant system inadvertently activating or even showing a discrepancy error that requires a checklist. And a system cannot determine if its malfunctioning with only 2 sensors. Boeing would have had a lot more credibility if they actually started planning for a triple redundant implementation instead of cheaping out, yet again, and deluding that they can achieve a 'fix' in software.
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Once again shows they haven't learned any lesson from this debacle, and they're just continuing the same old ways, sucking up to politicians to get this through just to make their bonus payments of 2019! I am seriously worried even about their other planes, the stories about 787 assembly is scary as hell! I hope, for the sake of Boeing long term, for Max to be completely grounded until fully re-designed which may cause some heads to roll, and for their culture to change!

The length of the grounding and the number of flights that have been cancelled are secondary issues for passengers. The only issue that matters for passengers when the MAX is recertified is whether they accept the work of the respective authorities (FAA and TC). After that, as a passenger, you will either fly on the MAX or not as you choose. If someone claims to be concerned about this it's on them to determine if a potential flight is on a MAX or some other aircraft. If you think Transport Canada is going to obligate AC and Westjet to belabor the matter, you will probably be disappointed.
Nope, the longer it is grounded, the more it will be engraved in people's mind that this plane is broken! I do NOT trust the FAA, at all. They have a revolving door with Boeing and essentially are the marketing, certification arm of Boeing. They WILL certify this one way or another, but I personally wouldn't fly Max unless they also update the hardware, not just a crappy bandaid software solution!

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Boeing is not using 3 or more AOA sensors on any of it's aircraft. That includes the 777 and 787 as well. The AOA is verified using the data from the ADIRU's on these aircraft. I don't think it would be possible on the 737 though.
That said, I don't think the third AOA sensor would necessarily to make the MCAS safer. In the unlikely case of two of the three sensors failing high indicating the same value, the computer would vote out the sensor indicating the correct value (already happened on Airbus) and activate MCAS. The only way to make the MCAS safer is to get rid of it. I don't think Boeing is ready to do that.
MCAS isn't needed, IF the engine wasn't placed where it was, and/or if they don't care about pilot training on a new "type" of plane.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 2, 2019 at 5:45 am Reason: merge multiple separate posts
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
alexbc I have yet to hear anyone who thinks Boeing did a good job of designing MCAS and no one is apologizing for Boeing.

If you bothered to read the NTSC report and the commentary about it that I linked above, you would understand that this issue is much bigger than Boeing. There were issues not only in the MCAS design, but also in the certification process, the airline's maintenance procedures, the airlines supplier's maintenance procedures, the pilot's documentation of mechanical problems, the pilot's gross inability to follow from memory check lists, the airline's pilot certification and training procedures and the industry's required skill levels for pilots.
PB53x11 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:42 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...h-in-simulator

And the mess continues...womp womp.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ecc

The company -- which initially expressed confidence it could complete its application to recertify the plane with the Federal Aviation Administration within months -- now says it hopes to do that before the end of the year.

The end of which year? 2019 or 2020?
Bohemian1 and ecc like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by ecc

If I'm reading that right, it was a different system from MCAS that caused the nose to dive???
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by ecc

To wit, kit reads: "Delays in Boeing Max Return Began With Near-Crash in Simulator"

---> Must have been one of those third-world pilots in the simulator, I suppose. Because we've all been told in here that First World Pilots are not a problem.

Womp womp
ecc likes this.

Last edited by InTheAirGuy; Nov 8, 2019 at 10:49 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm reading that right, it was a different system from MCAS that caused the nose to dive???
Story gives no detail. Anyway, it's a simulator thing, not a real plane, and simulators will only simulate real planes if (1) the plane behavior is known and understood, and (2) if the simulator is properly programmed. This said, issue that the MCAS is meant to deal with (possibly among others) is a scenario in which the nose moves *up* until the plane stalls. So if the MCAS is triggered when the scenario where it's needed is actually not happening, it might well push the nose down and down into the ground.... Sounds familiar?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC still has Feb 14, 2020 posted on the website.

But wow....

Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
AC still has Feb 14, 2020 posted on the website.
It’s really gonna be a heartbreak for us 737 MAX fans if they don’t return on February 14th
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Story gives no detail. Anyway, it's a simulator thing, not a real plane, and simulators will only simulate real planes if (1) the plane behavior is known and understood, and (2) if the simulator is properly programmed. This said, issue that the MCAS is meant to deal with (possibly among others) is a scenario in which the nose moves *up* until the plane stalls. So if the MCAS is triggered when the scenario where it's needed is actually not happening, it might well push the nose down and down into the ground.... Sounds familiar?
From the article:

..... in June ......some pilots hopped into a simulator to test a few things.
It didn’t go well.

.....................That led to an extensive redesign of the plane’s flight computers that has dragged on for months and repeatedly pushed back the date of its return to service,
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Haven't seen this story in English-language media yet...

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...e-aeronautique

Two aeronautical engineers claim that there may be further design problems with the 737 MAX's horizontal stabilizer and the jackscrew that controls it. In particular, in the case of flight ET302, analysis of the black box data points to the horizontal stabilizer making nose-down movements (slippage) even when not commanded by either the pilots or MCAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.