Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Santander
Um, if there was so much cargo demand YHZ-LHR, AC would've found a way to keep a 763 on the route. AC does fly a bit of lobster, but most of the lobster that flies out of YHZ and YQM goes to Asia on cargo airlines. And it's not like AC can't fly lobsters YHZ-YYZ-Europe.
Not to mention that fleet rebalancing to accommodate MAX issues does not in any way equal a betrayal. Did AC public commit to maintaining those routes for so many years irrespective of any circumstances? No. They had/have a business problem. They solved it. If they made more money flying lobsters from YHZ than people from some other location then I am sure those lobsters would be airborne on AC. It may be unfortunate and have had a significant negative impact but that doesn’t make it any more than negative and unfortunate.
Santander likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
Um, if there was so much cargo demand YHZ-LHR, AC would've found a way to keep a 763 on the route. AC does fly a bit of lobster, but most of the lobster that flies out of YHZ and YQM goes to Asia on cargo airlines. And it's not like AC can't fly lobsters YHZ-YYZ-Europe.
But that's the whole point of the 737 MAX - to service long haul routes that cannot be serviced by larger aircraft. I doubt there would be sufficient demand to fill a plane load of passengers on a 767 never mind a 777 or 787 on said route. However, the 737 MAX makes such routes a profitable transaction. Here's to hoping AC increases their order of Bombardier C Series and uses those on routes between Atlantic Canada and Europe.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
But that's the whole point of the 737 MAX - to service long haul routes that cannot be serviced by larger aircraft. I doubt there would be sufficient demand to fill a plane load of passengers on a 767 never mind a 777 or 787 on said route. However, the 737 MAX makes such routes a profitable transaction. Here's to hoping AC increases their order of Bombardier C Series and uses those on routes between Atlantic Canada and Europe.

Safe Travels,

James
I'm pretty certain that the 737 was meant as a North-American workhorse. The TATL capability is just a bonus.
canadiancow and gcashin like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If cargo and service was so important, an A320 can do YHZ-LHR, but AC can clearly maintain the service level they deem profitable buy funnelling the Europe traffic through YUl/YYZ.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:32 pm

I doubt there would be sufficient demand to fill a plane load of passengers on a 767 ...
There was for years, and probably still is.
... never mind a 777 or 787 on said route.
This is the issue. With the 767s being retired, the 788 is the next largest plane. It has significantly more seats and is a much more valuable aircraft. Clearly AC thinks that YHZ-LHR is not the best use for it. The 737MAX allows them to continue flying the route. With the grounding of the MAX, AC decided that the few 767s that they have left would generate more profit covering fleet shortages elsewhere in the network. They no longer have the ETOPS A319s, so they are not an option.
Here's to hoping AC increases their order of Bombardier C Series and uses those on routes between Atlantic Canada and Europe.
That would be pushing the range of the aircraft and cutting capacity significantly, not to mention using a small aircraft for a very valuable LHR slot that perhaps could generate more revenue from other routes or with one of the transAtlantic JV partners.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I'm pretty certain that the 737 was meant as a North-American workhorse. The TATL capability is just a bonus.
The 737 MAX and Airbus New Engine Options are designed to target a specific niche, the long thin routes like YYT > LHR. Yes they can and will work perfectly well for domestic services but the long, thin routes are where they shine. They have the range, fuel efficiency and passenger space for the economics to work out. There's a reason why Norwegian was flying 737 MAXs over the Atlantic river before the grounding! In fact, yours truly flew SWF > EDI back in January on a 737 MAX with Norwegian.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
If cargo and service was so important, an A320 can do YHZ-LHR, but AC can clearly maintain the service level they deem profitable buy funnelling the Europe traffic through YUl/YYZ.
You are absolutely correct. Heck even the A318 services JFK to LuCY non-stop on a good day (i.e. no strong headwinds) with a range of up to 4,000 statute miles. However, a limitation of the A320 generally and the A318 specifically are the passenger and cargo numbers. The A318 in particular can only handle 107-132 passengers with the A320 boasting just 150 passengers over a 3000 statue mile mission. This is to say nothing of the fuel efficiency of the MAX over the Airbus A320 CEOs.

In any event, my argument is that the replacement aircraft AC has are limited and it has been an operational challenge for them to recover service on all impacted routes, never mind the long haul routes. From the original AC suspension of the MAX they suspended service to the following over-ocean long haul routes:
  • YHZ > LHR
  • YYT > LHR
  • YVR > KOA
  • YVR > LIH
I would also like to draw readers to today's announcement by AC regarding the grounding of the 737 MAX:

In compliance with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.

Air Canada has updated its schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Given the uncertainty about the timing of regulatory approvals for the return to service of the Boeing 737 MAX, we are removing the Boeing 737 MAX from our schedule to February 14, 2020 and will continue to update plans as required. A summary of schedule changes is posted below in the following question and answer: "What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?", with schedule changes to be updated shortly.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
If you'd like to make other plans

If you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and February 14, 2020 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.
and from the FAQ from today's announcement:

How many Boeing 737 MAX flights are there each day, and how many passengers are affected?
We operated approximately 75 Boeing 737 MAX flights daily out of a total schedule of approximately 1,600 daily flights system-wide, representing less than six percent of our total flying. Our Boeing 737 MAX aircraft transported 9,000 to 12,000 customers each day.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
The 737 MAX and Airbus New Engine Options are designed to target a specific niche, the long thin routes like YYT > LHR. Yes they can and will work perfectly well for domestic services but the long, thin routes are where they shine. They have the range, fuel efficiency and passenger space for the economics to work out. There's a reason why Norwegian was flying 737 MAXs over the Atlantic river before the grounding! In fact, yours truly flew SWF > EDI back in January on a 737 MAX with Norwegian.

Safe Travels,

James
Firstly, I was writing about the purpose of the 737 at AC. This is a tread talking about AC's 737 purchase after all. And for AC the 737 is an universal workhorse. Capable of flying YHZ-YYZ very economically, as well as flying TATL or west coast - Hawaii with reasonable economics.
Secondly, calling an aircraft that sold several thousands of copies (both the NEO and MAX) is a bit, well, strange. Regardless of what some carriers do with them. I'd call the 77L a niche aircraft. A345? Yes sir! A359ULR? Absolutely. But the 737-8? Or the A320N? Absolutely not.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Firstly, I was writing about the purpose of the 737 at AC. This is a tread talking about AC's 737 purchase after all. And for AC the 737 is an universal workhorse. Capable of flying YHZ-YYZ very economically, as well as flying TATL or west coast - Hawaii with reasonable economics.
Secondly, calling an aircraft that sold several thousands of copies (both the NEO and MAX) is a bit, well, strange. Regardless of what some carriers do with them. I'd call the 77L a niche aircraft. A345? Yes sir! A359ULR? Absolutely. But the 737-8? Or the A320N? Absolutely not.
Just to clarify, I wasn't calling the 737 MAX or Airbus NEOs niche aircraft. Instead, I was arguing that due to the efficiency improvements in both airliners, they are able to serve a niche which otherwise would be difficult to fill : the thin (demand) long haul routes. As others have pointed out, given the absence of the 757 and the coming retirement of the 767 on AC, it would be difficult for AC to justify stuffing a 787 or 777 with self-loading and other cargo on such routes as YYT > LHR. Perhaps the A320s could fill that role, but again the economics may not be there to fill said routes whereas with the MAX is able to.

This I think poses a broader question which I suspect is at the heart of what this thread is all about. It's clear that AC operates a wide variety of birds to service the various destinations (and load factors) they have. For high demand long-haul routes it's a no brainer to put a 777 or 787 on assignment for them. On the other hand, AC has decided that they want to be the one Canadian airline that serves the smaller communities in Canada (i.e. Maritimes), and have a fleet of aircraft designed to serve that purpose from Bombardier Dash 8s to 737 MAXs depending on assignment. The grounding of any type of bird has an impact on the communities they serve, as we could clearly see with the grounding of the MAX. There are places AC simply can no longer serve because there is no economically suitable aircraft in their fleet to operate that route. In recent times, we have seen engine issues with the 787 which have also impacted airlines globally. Given this new reality of airliners getting grounded due to manufacturing issues I would be curious to learn what steps (if any) AC will take moving forward to mitigate the impact such groundings have on operations. In the past, AC had the luxury of assuming that an entire fleet of aircraft would not be grounded. This luxury simply no longer exists anymore. Will AC sign wet leasing agreements on contingency in the event of a future grounding of their birds?

I know I bring up the maritimes a lot in my comments but I think it's a story that hasn't really been covered with respect to the MAX. Folks in Ontario and out West don't quite understand the struggle of those in the maritimes when it comes to finding flights and having back ups in the event of IRROPs. Sure WS and the skunk sometimes have flights to the maritimes, but by and large AC is the only airline that is providing consistent service and a route network to boot to support these communities. AC having to scramble aircraft around to replace the lost seats from the 737 MAX groundings means adjustments to schedules in the martimes as they move hardware from there over to other more profitable routes.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
passenger space for the economics to work out
Well, maybe, but not in any configuration that exists in reality.

I'd rather fly Beech, without a lav, YHZ-YYZ than a MAX YHZ-YYZ.

Across an ocean? I'll put up with Newark.

Even begging the desire of MAX's to turn me into lobster food.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by alexbc
You didn’t read the entire comment. I said not only making money but is to move ppl around safely as if they don’t they wouldn’t make any money and ruin their shareholders as its actually happening now.

True but Boeing is NOT in the business of making money, it's in the business of FLYING people around safely! Selling an app and screwing a customer may just take your cash away, but designing an unsafe plane JUST to make more money KILLS your family, wife, daughter! That's NOT acceptable, AND will end-up costing the organization BILLIONS MORE if not bankruptcy, costing shareholders even more pain! So, it's a loss-loss-loss proposition!
Bolding mine
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Even begging the desire of MAX's to turn me into lobster food.
Interesting opinions. Will they change once the 737 MAX gets re-certified or is the 737 MAX forever on your no go list? The latter is precisely what I fear will happen to a great number of passengers with AC and is why I cynically suggested they might as well rename the bird to something else.

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 29, 2019 at 9:58 am Reason: Off topic
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Having attempted to use the miniaturized phone booth they try to pass off as a lav in the MAX, I couldn't agree more! I can't even imagine the discomfort of flying TATL on it.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Having attempted to use the miniaturized phone booth they try to pass off as a lav in the MAX, I couldn't agree more! I can't even imagine the discomfort of flying TATL on it.
LHR-YHZ is barely longer than YUL-SFO. YHZ-LHR and the YYT routes are both shorter.

So I wouldn't focus too much on the TATL aspect. I've done 6+ hour block times on the 7M8, and there are probably several long routes within NA. It was tolerable in J, but I'd prefer to connect in YYZ
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Interesting opinions. Will they change once the 737 MAX gets re-certified or is the 737 MAX forever on your no go list? The latter is precisely what I fear will happen to a great number of passengers with AC and is why I cynically suggested they might as well rename the bird to something else.

Safe Travels,

James
I don't think there is any situation where the MAX' will be 6" wider, with useful LAVs, and comfortable seats. It wasn't a nice aircraft before it started killing people.
YYC traveler likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:58 am

I don't think there is any situation where the MAX' will be 6" wider, with useful LAVs, and comfortable seats. It wasn't a nice aircraft before it started killing people.
In fairness, it is not Boeing’s fault that this is the experience flying the MAX with AC. AC chose to have cramped seating and lavs in favour of cramming more self loading cargo in. This raises an important question: at what point will passengers have enough of such optimizations? People were not upset when AC removed catering and checked bags from Domestic Y, nor when they introduced Economy Basic and started nickel and dining for everything. Perhaps the MAX will be that breaking point: an airframe with a checkered safety record and a passenger experience amongst the worst of the AC fleet.

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.