Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by entropy
you can look at the FAA type certificate:
https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/1c2b973615d72f9c8625861c00508676/$FILE/A16WE_Rev66.pdf
Interesting. Thanks for that reference document. The flight deck/crew side of the industry is outside my area within the industry so never thought to look from that vantage point.

Further to that, BPS also shows 737-8/-9. Despite that, many operators want that file name converted to the FAA/ICAO aircraft type format ("MAX").

Amazing how such a regulated industry can have so many inconsistencies.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Interesting. Thanks for that reference document. The flight deck/crew side of the industry is outside my area within the industry so never thought to look from that vantage point.

Further to that, BPS also shows 737-8/-9. Despite that, many operators want that file name converted to the FAA/ICAO aircraft type format ("MAX").

different regulators, different ways of doing things.
In IATA, airports have 3 letters, but ICAO ones have 4... EDDF or FRA. EGLL or LHR.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:40 pm

In the current EnRoute magazine, the CEO uses "737 Max."

Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Boeing's 737 Max has new problem that will ground some of the jets again

Boeing announced a new problem with the troubled 737 Max -- this time, the issue is with its electrical system.

"Boeing has recommended to 16 customers that they address a potential electrical issue in a specific group of 737 Max airplanes prior to further operations," the company said.

Airlines need to verify that one of the components of the plane's electrical system is sufficiently grounded, Boeing stated. The company said it is working with the US Federal Aviation Administration to address the problem.

[...]

Boeing
(BA) did not identify which 16 airlines are affected by this alert, or how many of the planes are affected by the problem.
Has anyone gotten any notifications about Air Canada Max 8 flight rebookings?
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
QUOTE:

"An Air Canada spokesperson told CBC News via email Friday that its 737 Max aircraft "are not on the affected list."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/boe...ssue-1.5981259
YUL, Bohemian1, Adam Smith and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
QUOTE:

"An Air Canada spokesperson told CBC News via email Friday that its 737 Max aircraft "are not on the affected list."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/boe...ssue-1.5981259
Not sure if that is good or bad. I'm on FIN 504 tomorrow.
Codyul likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Not sure if that is good or bad. I'm on FIN 504 tomorrow.
@EdmFlyBoi
Looks like it all went well. Hope you had a nice flight. ✈️

etkuo likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
@EdmFlyBoi
Looks like it all went well. Hope you had a nice flight. ✈️

I did thank you. I must admit I prefer the Max J seat to the A220 J seat. And I had a really good SD. Made for a lovely 90 minutes or so over the Rockies.
talkeryxu likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 10:54 am
Suspended

AC is on the list. I'm sure someone will come along and be nice while explaining the FAA memo

Old Apr 22, 2021, 11:11 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
AC is on the list.
I count 4 affected AC aircraft (FINs 521-524), all of which are currently parked, according to Planespotters. So presumably little impact on operations in the short term.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 22, 2021 at 11:39 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old May 2, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ

Where is the inconstancy? The TCDS is the same regardless of regulatory jurisdiction, the marketing designator is the same, some documentation uses the model designator, some documentation uses the marketing desginator.

I think the inconstancy lies in, that some of the general public (that think they know more than they do about aviation) not knowing the difference between a designator as defined in the TCDS and a marketing designator and the assumption that the two are one in the same.

Originally Posted by entropy
different regulators, different ways of doing things.
In IATA, airports have 3 letters, but ICAO ones have 4... EDDF or FRA. EGLL or LHR.
IATA is no where near being a "regulator" IATA is a trade organization that plays all three sides from the middle.

ICAO is not a regulator either, ICAO is a U.N. body that sets the common (very) low-bar for state regulators. In terms of Aircraft model designators, it is the OEM that defines them, not IATA or ICAO.

In today's age of the less than 30 second google search, it is quite easy to determine that IATA and ICAO are not regulators.

So much lulz!
YUL likes this.

Last edited by jaysona; May 2, 2021 at 12:47 pm
Old May 4, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Good news keep piling on

https://www.flightglobal.com/engines...143594.article
Old May 5, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
Where is the inconstancy? The TCDS is the same regardless of regulatory jurisdiction, the marketing designator is the same, some documentation uses the model designator, some documentation uses the marketing desginator.

I think the inconstancy lies in, that some of the general public (that think they know more than they do about aviation) not knowing the difference between a designator as defined in the TCDS and a marketing designator and the assumption that the two are one in the same.

IATA is no where near being a "regulator" IATA is a trade organization that plays all three sides from the middle.

ICAO is not a regulator either, ICAO is a U.N. body that sets the common (very) low-bar for state regulators. In terms of Aircraft model designators, it is the OEM that defines them, not IATA or ICAO.

In today's age of the less than 30 second google search, it is quite easy to determine that IATA and ICAO are not regulators.

So much lulz!
Aviation is a bears' den of, um, "inconstancy" no matter where you look. That IATA & ICAO have different designators, codes & names from each other sets the stage for confusion - not to mention the variance between units of measure (feet, metres, nautical miles, statute miles, kilometres), units of volume (litres, pounds, tonnes) and units of pressure (millibars, inches of mercury). Don't be smug enough to believe that the general public is the only entity that experiences confusion; there are endless instances where incidents/accidents have arisen from mixed-up application of competing units. Ahem, Gimli.

It's only a matter of time before people within and outside the industry make mistakes based upon calling the same plane by different names.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Aviation is a bears' den of, um, "inconstancy" no matter where you look. That IATA & ICAO have different designators, codes & names from each other sets the stage for confusion - not to mention the variance between units of measure (feet, metres, nautical miles, statute miles, kilometres), units of volume (litres, pounds, tonnes) and units of pressure (millibars, inches of mercury).
If we want to get really particular, "inconsistency" would be more accurate than "inconstancy" for a description of the industry's standards as a whole on this issue, though ironically either one would apply to AC's naming convention for Boeing's single-aisle airliner with the chevrons on its engine nacelles. It's a very fine distinction, though, and one that I still had to double-check, so I would hesitate to dismiss anyone who didn't just have that level of detail memorized.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Don't be smug enough to believe that the general public is the only entity that experiences confusion; there are endless instances where incidents/accidents have arisen from mixed-up application of competing units. Ahem, Gimli.

It's only a matter of time before people within and outside the industry make mistakes based upon calling the same plane by different names.
At least AC gets to avoid most of this confusion by the virtue of having only one type of Seven-Thirty-Anything in the fleet, but I'm amazed that we haven't already seen examples of passengers on AC or other airlines throwing a fit because they don't want to fly on a "new 737 eight hundred", or of call-centre agents refusing to apply the MAX rebooking policy "because this flight is on a 7M8".
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
My first MAX flight in quite a while, and while it's been way too hot on board the whole time, we're now back at the gate due to a mechanical issue 🥳

Edit: EF isn't giving me anything (just an error). Anyone know why AC 745 is swapping planes?

Also there's a guy here saying "I'm talking to the Boeing CEO who wants to know what the issue is", which is quite amusing.
Carfield, D582 and tecate55 like this.

Last edited by canadiancow; Jul 5, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.