Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:09 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I wonder...if I am on a 7pm YYZ-YOW to get home and it's a MAX and I want to standby for a 5 pm flight on a 220, could I use the Max free change as a reason to get ahead of everyone else on the standby list and get a confirmed seat before the standby list processes?
I thought you could always standby for an earlier flight in both the Eastern and Western triangles? Not sure that Max would put you ahead of anyone else though.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
For the longest time I have avoided the whole 737 class of planes. I do not believe they are safe and I think they are very uncomfortable.

Back in the day, I chose AC over CP for this reason. Today I choose AC over WS.

Since most of flying is to the US, I will increase my business with DL if it means not having a 737. UA is out of the question as they swap planes like crazy and a 737 appears all the time. My Asia/Europe flights now mean a connection in the US. Fine. Status faster.

Friends thought I was crazy. But somehow get it now.

Frankly top status on DL is MUCH better than AC.
Symmetre and Codyul like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought you could always standby for an earlier flight in both the Eastern and Western triangles? Not sure that Max would put you ahead of anyone else though.
Just speculating if MAX fear would potentially allow one to cheat and get past a standby list to a confirmed seat. Might be worth a try at some point, not that I have any fear of the MAX. That said, going to be a long while before my work allows any flying again.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:20 am

Scenic ride this morning.
https://www.flightradar24.com/ACA2338/26a154c8

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...-from-toronto/

Before resuming MAX operations, Strom said that Air Canada’s 737 pilots will perform more than 40 hours of computer-based training each, in addition to six sessions of simulator training totaling 24 hours. Each pilot will also complete between four and six training flights in the actual aircraft without any passengers on board before being cleared to resume revenue service.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Boeing 737 Max cleared to fly again 'too early'

A former senior manager at Boeing's 737 plant in Seattle has raised new concerns over the safety of the company's 737 Max.

The aircraft, which was grounded after two accidents in which 346 people died, has already been cleared to resume flights in North America and Brazil, and is expected to gain approval in Europe this week.

But in a new report, Ed Pierson claims that further investigation of electrical issues and production quality problems at the 737 factory is badly needed.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Each pilot will also complete between four and six training flights in the actual aircraft without any passengers on board before being cleared to resume revenue service.

Might be what's going on here:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-fsnq
marke190 and EdmFlyBoi like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Hey y'all - I have flights from YOW - YYZ on Feb 25 and returning on Feb 28th.

I'm somewhat unsure if this is going ahead with the current stay at home order, but assuming that I can still go I was wondering if anybody knows if AC will reroute me YOW - YUL - YYZ to avoid the 737MAX?

My reservation was made on Jan 15th - which is one day after the policy applies.

I know I cannot make the change online as only the direct flights show up - but I was wondering if anybody had tried to do this change over the phone and if they got any pushback from the agent.

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by dr_torch
Hey y'all - I have flights from YOW - YYZ on Feb 25 and returning on Feb 28th.

I'm somewhat unsure if this is going ahead with the current stay at home order, but assuming that I can still go I was wondering if anybody knows if AC will reroute me YOW - YUL - YYZ to avoid the 737MAX?

My reservation was made on Jan 15th - which is one day after the policy applies.
Call, ask, and be incredibly polite and friendly. The policy would clearly permit that if you'd booked one day earlier, and the worst they can say is no.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Call, ask, and be incredibly polite and friendly. The policy would clearly permit that if you'd booked one day earlier, and the worst they can say is no.
I was politely told no. They can change it the 6am flight on the same day but they will not route via YUL.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I mean, YOW-YYZ is also getting downgauged pretty consistently, so your problem is also likely to just solve itself.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by YOWgary
I mean, YOW-YYZ is also getting downgauged pretty consistently, so your problem is also likely to just solve itself.
Totally agree with you. Let's see what happens
Old Feb 1, 2021, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
They got around to redesigning, and rebuilding the aeronautics, added n+1 computers and n+1 sensors?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RangerNS
They got around to redesigning, and rebuilding the aeronautics, added n+1 computers and n+1 sensors?
Well, no. That's complicated. More computers and sensors would cost money and imply that the regulators were unwise grandfathering the MAX to 1970s 737 design and safety standards.

Only average or below average pilots were predicted to have issues reacting to MCAS handling characteristics or sensor disagreements. By adding a bit more training, AC fixed the glitch and now 100% of their 737 pilots will be the best anywhere.

It is reassuring that AC will never have an average or below average MAX pilot, even among their own ranks. (That's IS how math works, right?)
​​​​​​

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 2, 2021 at 11:42 am
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700
It is reassuring that AC will never have an average or below average MAX pilot, even among their own ranks. (That's IS how math works, right?)
​​​​​​
This isn't a math problem.

Since leaving Canada, I don't think I've had any below-average software engineers on my team.

Local/regional economic factors can certainly make it possible that AC might never have an average or below average MAX pilot. For the most basic example, how many hours do you need to fly a 737 at AC? How many at KE? It's an order of magnitude difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.