Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Why would they? AC isn't in the business of designing airplanes, they simply operate them. If they buy a product that is sold as certified and fit for flight, there should be no reason to redo the certification. You buy electrical consumer products that are CSA certified, do you take each one apart and run the certification tests to determine if the product actually meets CSA standards, or do you trust that if it bears a certification label it really is certified?
Surely the case in point shows that there would have been significant value in airlines having a better capability in assessing the technical aspects of the planes they were buying? Actually some of us with some understanding of the issues involved did scratch their head when AC went for the Max.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely the case in point shows that there would have been significant value in airlines having a better capability in assessing the technical aspects of the planes they were buying?
AC bought on price, as I'm sure did many other airlines especially considering pilot retraining. That likely wouldn't have changed if they had done a technical evaluation. Simply for pilot training and existing repair and maintenance operations it would have made sense to stick with the A320, buy we can only guess Boeing made AC an offer they couldn't refuse. I can't see the Engineers winning over the Accountants at AC.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
AC bought on price, as I'm sure did many other airlines especially considering pilot retraining. That likely wouldn't have changed if they had done a technical evaluation. Simply for pilot training and existing repair and maintenance operations it would have made sense to stick with the A320, buy we can only guess Boeing made AC an offer they couldn't refuse. I can't see the Engineers winning over the Accountants at AC.
IIRC it was a combination of price and availability. By the time AC placed the NB aircraft order, the NEO was already sold out for almost 4 years. I believe there were some claims made in this very topic that the NEO would be available 2 years later than the MAX.
Of course, it looks all different now. The savings may be gone due to this mess (despite the compensation that will undoubtedly come from Boeing) and the MAX may look not so great compared to the NEO after the promised PW1100 PIPs
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't see the Engineers winning over the Accountants at AC.
And now we see the results. Just like at Boeing. Time for the accountants to listen to the engineers and price in the technical issues when making the decision. Instead of brushing them off and indulging in wishful thinking.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
IIRC it was a combination of price and availability. By the time AC placed the NB aircraft order, the NEO was already sold out for almost 4 years.
But them, whose fault is that? Wasn't that eminently predictable?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
But them, whose fault is that? Wasn't that eminently predictable?
Yes, I realize that it was AC's management who didn't select the NB replacement sooner. But I don't dare to blame anyone. It is a huge responsibility (we are talking what, $ 7 billion worth of aircraft at list prices?), so I guess they were analyzing the hell of both options. And honestly, if even a year ago somebody would say that the MAX will suffer two crashes with total loss partly attributable to the aircraft, this person would be declared insane. I have to say that even despite not being a 737 fan.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Yes, I realize that it was AC's management who didn't select the NB replacement sooner. But I don't dare to blame anyone. It is a huge responsibility (we are talking what, $ 7 billion worth of aircraft at list prices?), so I guess they were analyzing the hell of both options.
Until only one was left. So what's the point of over "analyzing?"
And honestly, if even a year ago somebody would say that the MAX will suffer two crashes with total loss partly attributable to the aircraft, this person would be declared insane. I have to say that even despite not being a 737 fan.
Which brings us back where we started this discussion. No one ever got fired for trusting Boeing. When hindsight ended up showing they shouldn't have. That yes, Boeing ended up giving birth to a plane that suffered two crashes with total loss partly attributable to the aircraft.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Man, if only AV-Roe did not retool to make toasters.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
@bimmerdriver, i don't believe it's fully accurate to say that the purpose of the MCAS is to make the MAX fly like the non-MAX.

The purpose of the MCAS is to make the MAX compliant with the federal regulations - specifically FAR §25.173 "Static longitudinalstability". The non--MAX planes do comply with this regulation, so a side effect does result in consistency with the MAX ... but type consistency is just a side effect, not the motivation.
It's both, but let's not quibble over this.

Here is what Boeing says in 737 MAX SOFTWARE UPDATE:

The Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control law was designed and certified for the 737 MAX to enhance the pitch stability of the airplane – so that it feels and flies like other 737s.
Boeing has said elsewhere that the portion of the flight envelope where MCAS is intended to operate is light load and aft CoG. In these conditions, the aircraft may exhibit higher AoA than desired, in which case, MCAS will command the stabilizers down by 2.5 units (IIRC) to correct the condition. The article doesn't provide much detail, but presumably the reason it refers to this as a matter of pitch stability, is because if down trim is not commanded, the AoA would keep increasing to the point of causing a stall, which obviously would not be a desired behaviour.

If there was no MCAS, the MAX would exhibit a tendency to climb faster than desired in the lightly loaded / aft CoG condition. If the pilot did nothing (i.e., did not ease up on the stick or command down trim, the stick shaker would eventually alert the pilot of a stall warning. If you consider that one single instance of 2.5 units of down trim is all that's required to correct this condition, it's not like the MAX has some sort of major pitch instability problem.

All this begs the question of why the original implementation of MCAS was so heavy handed (and so poorly implemented), but that topic is being beaten to death elsewhere.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:10 pm

Straight issue of aerodynamics. Flow on top vs. bottom surfaces, with the lift being due to resulting pressure differences. OK, to be more precise, the integrals of the vertical component of the normal stress over the respective areas. Obviously Boeing must know, and have known for a while. But equally surely they did not and would rather not go that route...
I find it amusing that you apparently think you know more about aerodynamics than the engineers who designed the aircraft.
skybluesea likes this.

Last edited by bimmerdriver; Apr 27, 2019 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
I find it amusing that you apparently think you know more about aerodynamics than the engineers who designed the aircraft.
Uh?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:12 pm

Why would they? AC isn't in the business of designing airplanes, they simply operate them. If they buy a product that is sold as certified and fit for flight, there should be no reason to redo the certification. You buy electrical consumer products that are CSA certified, do you take each one apart and run the certification tests to determine if the product actually meets CSA standards, or do you trust that if it bears a certification label it really is certified?
CSA certification is only for products as they are initially presented for certification. There is no CSA inspector at every electrical consumer products factory that bears the CSA "certification". I think its a reasonable prospect for a customer to do due diligence on their CSA-"certified" products, to detect if there's been substitutions or alterations to the products that are outside of the scope of the original certification. I expect my local retailer to actually do some due diligence on whether the CSA stickers on the products they sell are real or not, especially if they come from places for which counterfeiting can be quite routine. I expect to have some responsibility myself in using common sense to determine whether a product reasonably meets in-service standards of quality and safety.

But, extended to a product like an airliner, if that role has been stripped away, or delegated entirely to external entities (that may be beholden to a vendor such as Boeing for technical or financial support ), then who is left to ask the hard questions of the vendors and the supply chain? How many airlines bought and took delivery of the 737Max with the horribly flawed MCAS design, and didn't push back? Taking Boeing's "word" for it that there was nothing wrong with the design? All of them. ~50 different airlines. Not a single one performed proper due diligence concerning Boeing's modifications. ET and Lion Air just happened to be the unlucky ones. It could've easily been AC involved in a major incident.
bimmerdriver likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
The purpose of the MCAS is to make the MAX compliant with the federal regulations - specifically FAR §25.173 "Static longitudinal stability". The non--MAX planes do comply with this regulation, so a side effect does result in consistency with the MAX ... but type consistency is just a side effect, not the motivation.
It's both, but let's not quibble over this.
OK.

Boeing has said elsewhere that the portion of the flight envelope where MCAS is intended to operate is light load and aft CoG. In these conditions, the aircraft may exhibit higher AoA than desired, in which case, MCAS will command the stabilizers down by 2.5 units (IIRC) to correct the condition. The article doesn't provide much detail, but presumably the reason it refers to this as a matter of pitch stability, is because if down trim is not commanded, the AoA would keep increasing to the point of causing a stall, which obviously would not be a desired behaviour.

If there was no MCAS, the MAX would exhibit a tendency to climb faster than desired in the lightly loaded / aft CoG condition. If the pilot did nothing (i.e., did not ease up on the stick or command down trim, the stick shaker would eventually alert the pilot of a stall warning. If you consider that one single instance of 2.5 units of down trim is all that's required to correct this condition, it's not like the MAX has some sort of major pitch instability problem.
Good job not quibbling
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by pitz
CSA certification is only for products as they are initially presented for certification. There is no CSA inspector at every electrical consumer products factory that bears the CSA "certification". I think its a reasonable prospect for a customer to do due diligence on their CSA-"certified" products, to detect if there's been substitutions or alterations to the products that are outside of the scope of the original certification. I expect my local retailer to actually do some due diligence on whether the CSA stickers on the products they sell are real or not, especially if they come from places for which counterfeiting can be quite routine. I expect to have some responsibility myself in using common sense to determine whether a product reasonably meets in-service standards of quality and safety.

But, extended to a product like an airliner, if that role has been stripped away, or delegated entirely to external entities (that may be beholden to a vendor such as Boeing for technical or financial support ), then who is left to ask the hard questions of the vendors and the supply chain? How many airlines bought and took delivery of the 737Max with the horribly flawed MCAS design, and didn't push back? Taking Boeing's "word" for it that there was nothing wrong with the design? All of them. ~50 different airlines. Not a single one performed proper due diligence concerning Boeing's modifications. ET and Lion Air just happened to be the unlucky ones. It could've easily been AC involved in a major incident.
I know a bit about CSA certification (as well as the CE process, which is very different). When a product is produced to have a CSA mark it has to be made using suitable components and tested to ensure it meets the requirements. If it fails, the problems have to be fixed and then it has to be retested until it passes. When a product is produced outside of Canada (or the USA), there are two cases, high volume or low volume. For high volume production, they must undergo the same process. There are companies around the world that assist with the process. For low volume, they can undergo a field evaluation rather than the full CSA mark process. A field evaluation involves a review of the design (and components), as well as various operational tests. This can be done in the factory or when it's delivered. What's different about a field evaluation from getting a CSA mark is that the version of the electrical code it must comply with is a reduced scope document with a primary focus on safety. For this reason, a field evaluation is only allowed for low volume production. Either way, the testing is not performed by the end customer, but by qualified person from a qualified organization.

I agree with your comments about where were the airlines in this process and why didn't they push back on Boeing. I made this comment way back in this thread.

Last edited by bimmerdriver; Apr 28, 2019 at 10:27 am Reason: Minor changes for completeness.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I know a bit about CSA certification (as well as the CE process, which is very different). When a product is produced to have a CSA mark it has to be made using suitable components and tested to ensure it meets the requirements. If it fails, the problems have to be fixed and then it has to be retested until it passes. When a product is produced outside of Canada (or the USA), there are two cases, high volume or low volume. For high volume production, they must undergo the same process. There are companies around the world that assist with the process. For low volume, they can undergo a field evaluation rather than the full CSA mark process. A field evaluation involves a review of the design (and components), as well as various operational tests. This can be done in the factory or when it's delivered. What's different about a field evaluation from getting a CSA mark is that the version of the electrical code it must comply with is a reduced scope document with a primary focus on safety. For this reason, a field evaluation is only allowed for low volume production. Either way, the testing is not performed by the end customer, but by qualified person from a qualified organization.

I agree with your comments about where were the airlines in this process and why didn't they push back on Boeing. I made this comment way back in this thread.
My experience with CSA certification is that in practice it tends to be very arbitrary. I have on multiple situations imported equipment into Canada that was not CSA certified as the original manufacture had no desire to do CSA. You end up having to have someone come in and do a special inspection and place there sticker. There are about a dozen companies authorized to inspect against the CSA standard. The level of depths can be quite variable from one inspector another.

I would hope aircraft are more systematic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.