Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Lol. Just posting what I saw from CNN.
I know .... not poking fun at the messenger (you) ... I'm just expressing the profound relief that I'm sure we all feel about the good news that the 737 MAX does not have any design issues.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
AC bought on price, as I'm sure did many other airlines especially considering pilot retraining. That likely wouldn't have changed if they had done a technical evaluation. Simply for pilot training and existing repair and maintenance operations it would have made sense to stick with the A320, buy we can only guess Boeing made AC an offer they couldn't refuse. I can't see the Engineers winning over the Accountants at AC.
Nice to know AC rolled the dice with pax safety to save a few dollars. At least they bought both optional "safety" features, as it has just been revealed the sensor that was supposed to warn pilots of faulty data from the angle of attack sensor would only work with those optional safety features (which wasn't disclosed to buyers):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.e41a62dea5fb
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Here's the latest video by Juan Brown:

He has requested an opportunity to fly the MAX simulator, as a credentialed member of the press who happens to have held a 737 NG type rating.

Refer to around 10:15 where he talks about what he refers to the myth that the MAX is not stable and MCAS is designed to make it stable or prevent it from stalling. He says what I said above, which is that the purpose of MCAS is to allow the MAX to be the same type rating as previous versions of the 737.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
Here's the latest video by Juan Brown: 37 Max Update 29 April 2019 'The Cost'

He has requested an opportunity to fly the MAX simulator, as a credentialed member of the press who happens to have held a 737 NG type rating.

Refer to around 10:15 where he talks about what he refers to the myth that the MAX is not stable and MCAS is designed to make it stable or prevent it from stalling. He says what I said above, which is that the purpose of MCAS is to allow the MAX to be the same type rating as previous versions of the 737.
I've never doubted that he said that. He might even believe it (which is not to imply that he's lying, just that part of a journalists job is to simplify explanations of complex topics for the viewer.)

None of that makes it any more true that the purpose of the MCAS system is really type consistency.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
I've never doubted that he said that. He might even believe it (which is not to imply that he's lying, just that part of a journalists job is to simplify explanations of complex topics for the viewer.)

None of that makes it any more true that the purpose of the MCAS system is really type consistency.
He's a commercial pilot, flying a 777 for AA. Journalism is his hobby. I find him credible and objective, much more so than anyone on this board. I also think he's probably forgotten more about airplanes in general and the 737 in specific than the combined knowledge of the people on this board. YMMV.

BTW, the use of the word "myth" is his, not mine.

Last edited by bimmerdriver; Apr 30, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC

I really, really hope that bimmerdriver is wrong and type rating consistency wasn't the most important driver behind the MCAS implementation The idea of 300+ pax paying with their lives for some airline executive's desire not to pay for pilot training makes me nauseous.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
I really, really hope that bimmerdriver is wrong and type rating consistency wasn't the most important driver behind the MCAS implementation The idea of 300+ pax paying with their lives for some airline executive's desire not to pay for pilot training makes me nauseous.
To my knowledge, Boeing has not ever formally stated why they implemented MCAS. We do have, of course, the CEO's recent confirmation that it wasn't a flawed system {yes, I'm cynical} but that's all.

@bimmerdriver has found his source, and as I wrote above, it's clear that Juan Brown has an opinion about the design motivation, and as a journalist he is competent at making his case.

My sources are not nearly as cleanly packaged as a Juan Brown video, but to me they feel more credible. YMMV.

For the record, I have no doubt at all that Boeing absolutely wanted type consistency between the MAX and the other 737 variants, and I'm equally convinced that reducing the MAX pilot training and transition requirements were all key goals of the MAX. Whether or not those factors were causal to the implementation of the MCAS is not publicly known.

The argument that I believe, is that MCAS was introduced to provide compliance with the Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) § 25.173 "Static longitudinal stability". You can read the regulation here:
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...-sec25-175.pdf
Note specifically the section "Demonstration of static longitudinal stability". My read is that it's this required test that the MAX failed without the MCAS:
With the landing gear retracted at high speed, the stick force curve must have a stable slope at all speeds within a range which is ....
The section in question is quite readable .... but the key question ("how did the 737 MAX test aircraft actually perform and demonstrate compliance [or not] with that section") is unknowable without lots of detailed test information that Boeing have not make public.

I was initially pointed at this issue (compliance with 25.173) by discussion on pprune. As I said, Boeing has never formally discussed the official reason for the MCAS, so there's no definitive smoking gun that I've found.

The most detailed analysis I've seen is here: https://www.satcom.guru/2019/03/regu...n-systems.html
And the cleanest (most concise) summary I've seen is here: 737 MAX - MCAS
Old May 1, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If the MAX was not in compliance with § 25.173, it wouldn't be able to get any type certificate, then it obviously couldn't maintain a common type certificate as the rest of the 737s. It isn't an either/or question.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
One additional comment:

Even if my interpretation is correct, and the MCAS is required in order to provide compliance with the regulations -- there is still plenty of opportunity for you to feel nauseous about the implementation.

The satcom link that I provided, starts with a discussion of a Seattle Times article - which, in turn, claims that the reason the MCAS was implemented using only a single sensor, was because the alternative (using multiple sensors) would have led to a chain of events which in turn would have resulted in pilots needing simulator training - and that's something Boeing wanted to avoid.

"Rick Ludtke, a former Boeing engineer who worked on designing the interfaces on the MAX’s flight deck, said managers mandated that any differences from the previous 737 had to be small enough that they wouldn’t trigger the need for pilots to undergo new simulator training. He said that if the group had built the MCAS in a way that would depend on two sensors, and would shut the system off if one fails, he thinks the company would have needed to install an alert in the cockpit to make the pilots aware that the safety system was off. And if that happens, Ludtke said, the pilots would potentially need training on the new alert and the underlying system. That could mean simulator time, which was off the table."
Yes, there's speculation and extrapolation in the article .... but even so, it's getting harder to imagine a scenario that doesn't make you nauseous about short cuts and compromises that Boeing took.

You know, this Boeing: Boeing CEO says 737 Max was designed properly and pilots did not 'completely' follow procedure
Old May 1, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If the MAX was not in compliance with § 25.173, it wouldn't be able to get any type certificate, then it obviously couldn't maintain a common type certificate as the rest of the 737s. It isn't an either/or question.
Agreed.

But the claim is that the motivation for MCAS was to provide type consistency. My belief is that (as you said) type consistency was a key goal of the MAX, but it's not the case that the pre-MCAS MAX was compliant with the regulations and failing only on type consistency; thus, the MCAS was introduced to provide regulatory compliance, not type consistency.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:33 am

Agreed.

But the claim is that the motivation for MCAS was to provide type consistency. My belief is that (as you said) type consistency was a key goal of the MAX, but it's not the case that the pre-MCAS MAX was compliant with the regulations and failing only on type consistency; thus, the MCAS was introduced to provide regulatory compliance, not type consistency.
Yeah, but the regulation was not some arbitrary irrelevant point. The Venn diagram of design options are concentric.

§ 25.173 essentially is "must fly and be controlled reasonbally like a passenger aircraft".

The type consistency demand makes that more stringent to be "must fly and be controlled reasonably like other 737s".

It is not logically possible to design something that "flies like a 737" that doesn't also meet "flies like a PAX aircraft".
Old May 1, 2019, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Yeah, but the regulation was not some arbitrary irrelevant point. The Venn diagram of design options are concentric.

§ 25.173 essentially is "must fly and be controlled reasonbally like a passenger aircraft".

The type consistency demand makes that more stringent to be "must fly and be controlled reasonably like other 737s".

It is not logically possible to design something that "flies like a 737" that doesn't also meet "flies like a PAX aircraft".
We agree.

Of course, it is possible to build a plane that is fully compliant with all FAR regulations, but doesn't fly like a 737. We also know that the MCAS was a late add to the MAX, designed to solve a problem. Thus, there are two options about what that late problem was:
  • The pre-MCAS MAX was fully compliant with all regulations, but did not fly like other 737's. The MCAS was added to correct that.
  • The pre-MCAS MAX was not compliant with the FAR's (which implies, as you write, also not consistent with previous 737's). The MCAS was added to correct that.
My belief is that it's the second scenario.

Juan Brown, in his latest clip
, states
Now regarding those FARs, I want to put to rest a myth. (...) A lot of folks out there think that the new 737 MAX series of aircraft is an inherently unstable aircraft, and that is just patently not true. It's FAR part 25 that governs the production of transport category aircraft, and it requires that the aircraft is inherently stable. The MCAS system is not a system to make the 737 stable.
There are two flaws here. First, it's ambiguous when he uses the term "an inherently unstable aircraft". That term is not formally defined, and so I'm choosing to use a more precise term, "not compliant with the FAR regulations". Secondly, his argument is that because the MAX passed certification, therefore it's stable (compliant), and therefore MCAS was not required to provide that stability (compliance). The problem is that his argument does not prove the pre-MCAS aircraft was also stable (compliant). Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't ... but you can't use the fact that the post-MCAS aircraft passed certification, to prove that the pre-MCAS aircraft was inherently stable (compliant).

My reading of his words, makes it clear to me that he believes the MCAS system is not related to the 737 stability, and (by implication) the MCAS system is not related to compliance with the FARs. In other words, he's asserting that the first of my above options is the one that's true.

OK, but based on my understanding of the facts, I disagree; I think it's the second of my two options.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:36 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by pitz
CSA certification is only for products as they are initially presented for certification. There is no CSA inspector at every electrical consumer products factory that bears the CSA "certification". I think its a reasonable prospect for a customer to do due diligence on their CSA-"certified" products, to detect if there's been substitutions or alterations to the products that are outside of the scope of the original certification. I expect my local retailer to actually do some due diligence on whether the CSA stickers on the products they sell are real or not, especially if they come from places for which counterfeiting can be quite routine. I expect to have some responsibility myself in using common sense to determine whether a product reasonably meets in-service standards of quality and safety.

But, extended to a product like an airliner, if that role has been stripped away, or delegated entirely to external entities (that may be beholden to a vendor such as Boeing for technical or financial support ), then who is left to ask the hard questions of the vendors and the supply chain? How many airlines bought and took delivery of the 737Max with the horribly flawed MCAS design, and didn't push back? Taking Boeing's "word" for it that there was nothing wrong with the design? All of them. ~50 different airlines. Not a single one performed proper due diligence concerning Boeing's modifications. ET and Lion Air just happened to be the unlucky ones. It could've easily been AC involved in a major incident.
you think (or expect) walmart employees check all the electronice (either the product iself or the certification, or both) that enter their store??? Yeah right.

maybe the analogy wasnt so great given that there are literally millions of electronic products covered under CSA vs the smaller production rates and grester complexity of an aircraft.

would you rip apart your new home (probably a much closer analogy) after the builder deemed it passed inspections just to ensure that everything was indeed built to code and standard. If you would might i suggeat that you are a bit more thorough/ocd than most people.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by skybluesea
@canopus27

NO question of "if".

All airlines in purchasing MAX were given an option by Boeing whether to acquire the inter-link system, and G&M reports both AC & WJ did exactly this.

Airlines have a duty of care obligation to understand what any supplier is selling to them, as the aircraft is just one component of an overall package of goods put together by the airline for offer to the travelling public. Apparently, AC & WJ asked the very questions you raise as to make an affirmative choice that this inter-link was vital to safe operations - and that meant spending shareholder money on this add-on.

The fact that this part of the MAX acquisition was an option is curious, either Boeing believed it was NOT that important to make it a mandatory component of the certification, and instead intended that the system was for augmentation purposes only, that relied on the aircraft operator to have training in place to deal with any ensuing issues.

In sum, MCAS did NOT appear out of the blue to airlines - they had to decide when purchasing the aircraft what the OPTION meant, and whether it was worth spending money on.
MCAS is an integrated feature. It isn't an option. The warning light option tells the pilots that the AoA sensors disagree, nothing more. It does not follow that that option being available would trigger a line of questioning to asking about a buried standard feature.

I can understand why more cost conscious airlines would skip the option. It doesn't detect disagreement with, say, the artificial horizon, or other sensors that can provide a sanity check on AoA sensors, or for that matter, the pilots eyes and body, simply looking outside.
canopus27 and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.