Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep I've been in 5D several times on the FIN where the tray table slides down during moderate vibration whether it be taxiing takeoff landing turbulence etc.
You guys need to report fins. How else will an AC employee reading these boards know? And for the love of fellow passengers, reporting stuff like this in is good for all of us.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
You guys need to report fins. How else will an AC employee reading these boards know? And for the love of fellow passengers, reporting stuff like this in is good for all of us.
No. We are supposed to report them to the blue ties and blue scarves. This forum would be for an informal purpose.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No. We are supposed to report them to the blue ties and blue scarves. This forum would be for an informal purpose.
Ok fine i'll agree there. But just report them to someone please!! Let the SD know or w/e so they can log it in the log. That's what I did yesterday with IFE issues.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ok fine i'll agree there. But just report them to someone please!! Let the SD know or w/e so they can log it in the log. That's what I did yesterday with IFE issues.
I do sometimes. I am just too lazy at times.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah like when I reported the IFE issue and asked her to reset mine and she never did?

I'll write in about it through customer relations.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Fin 802

In early March, I flew fin 802 TPAC, seat 4A
The IFE wasn't working properly.
SD did 3 resets and some elements appeared, but it was not fully functional.
SD said they would report it.

A few weeks later, I'm on fin 802, seat 4A. Again!
Exact same IFE issues.

SD goes to check the log book. We both see that approx a few weeks worth of dates are missing - including the date of my first flight with this issue.

Things only got worse.

The seat started sliding open into the sleep mode all by itself.
The SD thought I had pressed a button.
I've been on more than 16 AC 788 flights.
I'm pretty sure I know how the seats work.

I get out of the seat and wait for SD to return with instructions on manual reset. Apparently behind the seat, there is a button/switch.
SD could not find it or reach it if it was where it was supposed to be.

Meanwhile before SD even tried to do the reset, seat started opening all by itself. We were both standing in the aisle and nowhere near the seat or the touchscreen.

SD says "well, we have a ghost seat on our hands"

Let's just say, the frequency of the self-opening seat increased all the way across the continent. SD advised pilots as they were concerned that the seat would not be in proper position for landing. 4 hours of this nonsense.
(p.s. plane was full and nowhere else to move)

Essentially, I had to keep my hands on the black touchscreen "Sit" button in order to stop it from opening.

Highlight of the flight, seat slides open as the plane is landing.

SD assured me it would be reported and gave me green form.
Still haven't heard from AC.

I was thinking to myself...since i can't avoid the fin, maybe I can avoid the seat - unless this may happen with another seat on another fin.

I'm going to assume the SD did report it in the log book, especially since SD notified the pilots.

Photos.
The thing to note is that as the seat starts opening, the red highlight appears and then the touchscreen freezes and becomes inactive. None of the options work. The only way to close the seat is to keep your hand on the black "sit" button to the right, and you need to press firmly and for a while.

Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
The 77L were not wrong purchases for AC. CX can't take any cargo on its YYZHKG runs, it needs to move it to dedicated 747 freighters. AC doesn't have a dedicated cargo nfleet so finds the 77Ls capabilities much more useful on the route than the 77W, just like YVR-SYD which was a struggle with the 77W.

An AC 77L once reconfigured to 300 seats and literal tonnes of cargo being hauled is probably more profitable than a 340 seat CX 77W with almost 0 cargo capability.
OK, that makes sense, and AC obviously has cargo on the SYD run to offset the loss of 80 seats. And cargo should pay more than passengers to HKG these days
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by upgradesecret
A 777-200 flies a long way when 100 seats are not filled.
?? its one of the most difficult flights to upgrade. ewr-hkg. Or are you meaning competition has made AC yyz-hkg a lighter load?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
In early March, I flew fin 802 TPAC, seat 4A
The IFE wasn't working properly.
SD did 3 resets and some elements appeared, but it was not fully functional.
SD said they would report it.

A few weeks later, I'm on fin 802, seat 4A. Again!
Exact same IFE issues.

SD goes to check the log book. We both see that approx a few weeks worth of dates are missing - including the date of my first flight with this issue.

Things only got worse.

The seat started sliding open into the sleep mode all by itself.
The SD thought I had pressed a button.
I've been on more than 16 AC 788 flights.
I'm pretty sure I know how the seats work.

I get out of the seat and wait for SD to return with instructions on manual reset. Apparently behind the seat, there is a button/switch.
SD could not find it or reach it if it was where it was supposed to be.

Meanwhile before SD even tried to do the reset, seat started opening all by itself. We were both standing in the aisle and nowhere near the seat or the touchscreen.

SD says "well, we have a ghost seat on our hands"

Let's just say, the frequency of the self-opening seat increased all the way across the continent. SD advised pilots as they were concerned that the seat would not be in proper position for landing. 4 hours of this nonsense.
(p.s. plane was full and nowhere else to move)

Essentially, I had to keep my hands on the black touchscreen "Sit" button in order to stop it from opening.

Highlight of the flight, seat slides open as the plane is landing.

SD assured me it would be reported and gave me green form.
Still haven't heard from AC.

I was thinking to myself...since i can't avoid the fin, maybe I can avoid the seat - unless this may happen with another seat on another fin.

I'm going to assume the SD did report it in the log book, especially since SD notified the pilots.

Photos.
The thing to note is that as the seat starts opening, the red highlight appears and then the touchscreen freezes and becomes inactive. None of the options work. The only way to close the seat is to keep your hand on the black "sit" button to the right, and you need to press firmly and for a while.
I too have seen so many weird things in J on the AC 788.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:40 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by HampsteadHeath
Look forward to whatever information you can share from your Boeing contacts.

I'm not sure I'd put the A330-200 on that list. Although the A333-300 range has improved significantly since its entry into service (and it does significantly outsell the A330-200), the A330-200 still has significantly more range and is used on routes the A330-300 can't perform effectively. I'm thinking of routes like Philadelphia to Tel Aviv. The fact that an A330-200-sized aircraft continues to be offered in the A330neo programme (as the A330-800, albeit with a few extra seats) demonstrates that this aircraft isn't obsolete, even if it isn't as popular as the A330-300 (or A330-900 under the neo programme).
Arguably the A330-200 is aimed more at the 787-8 market, while the A330-300 is more of a 777-200ER replacement for routes less than 10 hours.
I was under the impression that the A330-800 had very few orders and, like the A350-800 chances are they will not even produce it. I'm not very read-up on the A350 programme, so someone with more information can probably more useful. But 16 A350-800 and 10 A330-800s does not sound promising to me.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PLeblond
I was under the impression that the A330-800 had very few orders and, like the A350-800 chances are they will not even produce it. I'm not very read-up on the A350 programme, so someone with more information can probably more useful. But 16 A350-800 and 10 A330-800s does not sound promising to me.
you will have lots of opportunities to fly the A350 within STAR, UA has ordered 35 of them, however they don't come till 2018. LH might be your best chance because they start delivery in 2016. (AC has lots of code shares with UA/LH)
ET also has 17 on order 2017, and because of the range they might be coming to Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...350_XWB_orders
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:06 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by flybit
you will have lots of opportunities to fly the A350 within STAR, UA has ordered 35 of them, however they don't come till 2018. LH might be your best chance because they start delivery in 2016. (AC has lots of code shares with UA/LH)
ET also has 17 on order 2017, and because of the range they might be coming to Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...350_XWB_orders
OK. I guess I was not clear on my post. I was referring to the -800 series not being very popular, much like the -200 of the 777s or, to an extent, the 787-8. I know the A350-900 (and probably -1000) are very popular and will be very popular for years. The A330neo, I'm still not convinced of its popularity.

That being said, I openly admit I do not hold the same anticipation for flying on an A350. TO me, its lines are not as elegant. Like many Airbus-es, it kind of looks wonky. I've always found that Airbus-es were best appreciated while sitting inside the plane.

As a kid, I used to play with die cast airplane models and Hot-Wheels, so I'm more influenced by the outside of a plane than the inside.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
On the inside the 9-abreast A350 will likely be a more comfortable plane than the 9-abreast 787 for the same reason that the 320 is more comfortable than the 737 - wider cabin on a per seat basis. Airbus assumed that the 787 would be 8-abreast and their design is a little too narrow to fit 10.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About to board fin 803 for AC 148.
Wonkawonk.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Altitude, Millennium Loyalty Club, President's Club
Originally Posted by PLeblond
OK. I guess I was not clear on my post. I was referring to the -800 series not being very popular, much like the -200 of the 777s or, to an extent, the 787-8. I know the A350-900 (and probably -1000) are very popular and will be very popular for years. The A330neo, I'm still not convinced of its popularity.

That being said, I openly admit I do not hold the same anticipation for flying on an A350. TO me, its lines are not as elegant. Like many Airbus-es, it kind of looks wonky. I've always found that Airbus-es were best appreciated while sitting inside the plane.

As a kid, I used to play with die cast airplane models and Hot-Wheels, so I'm more influenced by the outside of a plane than the inside.
Ah, fond memories of die-cast airplane models!

I understand your point about the A330neo's popularity. I don't expect it to be a huge seller, and it's relatively low-risk for Airbus (in some respects, it resembles the original A350 that Airbus proposed as a competitive response to the B787), aimed largely at existing A330 operators. I can see it cannibalizing sales for the A350-900 for those airlines that don't need the trans-Pacific capabilities of the A350 (like Delta, which bought a mix of A330neos and A350s). The thing is, the A330neo is also probably taking some sales that might otherwise have gone to the B787-9. As they say, the only thing worse than cannibalizing (part of) your own product is letting your competitor do it for you ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.