Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
There will be training flights on the 787 on May 19th, first AC 788 departures out of YYZ. 0700 and 1400 takeoffs. Not revenue but good sign for entry into service without more delays (unless the pilots really mess up their first landings )
I've been told those will be very short flights with only pilots on board. As a matter of fact they won't even be stopping (touchdown, apply power and take-off again). I believe 4 days of these flights are scheduled and only if the weather is acceptable. YOW,YMX,YTR,YHM,YXU are the planned touch and go airports. All subject to change at last minute of course.

First flights with passengers are the YHZ flights. Also subject to change.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by Dorian
I believe I've been SE since inception, or very close. I'm on my 3rd TATL Latitude Pass, have two TPAC J Passes and a bunch of North American ones, all which account for under 50% of my AC travel. My own money...which is maybe the problem...no corporate account influence.
I have TATL FP (Lat not J) and NA FP, and have a number of paid J this year as well (all business), but as far as I can tell, it seems to be entirely a geography thing. Only YYZ SE's seem to be invited. We have no corporate pull either, as our 'corporate' account is Delta.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
YYZ-HND Not Happening On July 1?

I noticed that the July 1 YYZ-HND has been swapped to a 77W.

My return flight in PE, which was waitlisted now shows as Business Class (Lowest), fare bucket P. No email has been sent to me, and AC is usually good about emailing me cleared upgrades.

Is this a IT glitch, or is something up?

Edit: went to look at seats, and brought me to the 77W (pod) seat map. Selected my usual preferred seat in Row 11, but whatda?

Last edited by yqtyyz; May 14, 2014 at 8:13 pm Reason: Seat Selection Updated
Old May 14, 2014, 8:25 pm

Just clicking around random dates for YYZ-NRT, on a couple days, it wasn't in operation, and on July 3, it is operated by a 763. So perhaps there's a consolidation of Tokyo-bound flights to some degree?
Old May 14, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
Just clicking around random dates for YYZ-NRT, on a couple days, it wasn't in operation, and on July 3, it is operated by a 763. So perhaps there's a consolidation of Tokyo-bound flights to some degree?
It looks like when AC001/002 is operating with the B763 it's via YVR.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:38 pm

Ah, thanks. Bummer about yet another change of equipment, though.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It looks like when AC001/002 is operating with the B763 it's via YVR.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I noticed that the July 1 YYZ-HND has been swapped to a 77W.
For July 7/10 005/006, the main site is showing it's been switched to a 77W. Log in via the AC seat selector for third-party bookings, and it's still showing 788.

Even aircanada.com can't keep up with where the 788 is going and when.

I wonder which version of the truth is true?
Old May 14, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Unhappy This is starting to look terribly ominous

Originally Posted by HometoYYZ
For July 7/10 005/006, the main site is showing it's been switched to a 77W. Log in via the AC seat selector for third-party bookings, and it's still showing 788.

Even aircanada.com can't keep up with where the 788 is going and when.

I wonder which version of the truth is true?
First they pulled the 788 off the HND route after October 25th; now this!!!

I wonder what happened to all the PE reservations for the early July HND flights

With just Fin 801 being delivered this month and 803 in July, plus 802 in June if the forklift damage is repaired, AC is going to be hard pressed to operate both HND and TLV before August.

They sure are going to have a disastrous opening of the HND route in a part of the world where saving face is so important.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by TemboOne
First they pulled the 788 off the HND route after October 25th; now this!!!

I wonder what happened to all the PE reservations for the early July HND flights

With just Fin 801 being delivered this month and 803 in July, plus 802 in June if the forklift damage is repaired, AC is going to be hard pressed to operate both HND and TLV before August.

They sure are going to have a disastrous opening of the HND route in a part of the world where saving face is so important.
AC isn't operating TLV in July anymore, it has been delayed until August 6. So the schedule they currently have (some YHZ, HND) should have integrity with just 2 aircraft.

However - that is just what should work. In reality the 77W is operating AC5/6 until July 10 with 11th return.

856/869 some dates to LHR and daily ZRH are both showing 788 in early July now.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
AC isn't operating TLV in July anymore, it has been delayed until August 6. So the schedule they currently have (some YHZ, HND) should have integrity with just 2 aircraft.

However - that is just what should work. In reality the 77W is operating AC5/6 until July 10 with 11th return.
Thank you very much Winnipegrev; appreciate the feedback.
We're on AC5 in PE October 8th; fingers (and toes) crossed till then!

I really feel for all the folks in reservations who have to deal with all the reassignments and cancellations caused by the 788 problems.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by TemboOne
Thank you very much Winnipegrev; appreciate the feedback.
We're on AC5 in PE October 8th; fingers (and toes) crossed till then!

I really feel for all the folks in reservations who have to deal with all the reassignments and cancellations caused by the 788 problems.
I continue to be shocked daily on how badly this 787 rollout is being done by AC. Selling PE on flights which end up not having it...

It seems AC has finally learned its lesson though. I notice PE is not being sold on any of the July LHR/ZRH 788 flights - finally a realization that PE equipped aircraft cannot be guaranteed.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:59 am

I continue to be shocked daily on how badly this 787 rollout is being done by AC. Selling PE on flights which end up not having it...

It seems AC has finally learned its lesson though. I notice PE is not being sold on any of the July LHR/ZRH 788 flights - finally a realization that PE equipped aircraft cannot be guaranteed.
yeah this rollout is just terrible.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:26 am

856/869 some dates to LHR and daily ZRH are both showing 788 in early July now.
The first date that I can see the 787 operating AC5 is on 15JUL14.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: AC APE, AA
The AC 787 Dreamliner where economy class passengers can dream about the day when air travel wasn't torture.

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
This is the point that baffles me about the 787 excitement - while J looks good, the Y experience on AC (and most other airlines) is going to be miserable - 31" by 17". This is 77HD or Rogue 767 type standards we are talking.

People complain like crazy about Rogue and the 77HDs but seem super excited about the 787. Maybe there is something to that "new plane smell"?
Old May 15, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: AC 75K
Apparently one of the three 787s that are on the ground at Boeing was damaged by a forklift during the loading of the seats. This has impacted the expected delivery date which further impacts the planned schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.