Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: briguychau
*FAQ:
Q: On the 787-9 (789), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Rows 5 and 8 on both port and starboard sides have only one window, instead of two on all other port/starboard J seats.

Q: On the 787-8 (788), which seats in J are missing windows?
A: Only row 5 port and starboard sides have zero windows.

Q: Does the middle J seats' middle divider come down?
A: No, on the 788 and 789 the middle divider does not come down and is fixed in place. In fact, all Dream Cabin (788, 789, 77L, 77W) middle dividers are fixed and do not come down.

Member pictures & videos of AC 787:

Trip review with pictures from galawdawg:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23555730-post1724.html
pictures from TravellingBeard
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24068136-post2054.html

Onboard videos from cooleddie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBND...ature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVH...ature=youtu.be
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24182736-post2123.html

Video trip report, J-class, YYZ-YVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRKfq6KEles

3 Class Video review of AC's Dreamliner with Pilot and SD interview
https://youtu.be/5N4_bIEut6I

Trip review with pictures from FlyerJT:
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/air-canada-787-economy-review/

In depth video review of AC's 787-8 Dreamliner International Business Class
https://youtu.be/X8u1jvjk_3w
Print Wikipost

The Air Canada 787-8/-9 Dreamliner Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I discovered a downside of being angled away from the aisle.

I was never offered a pre-departure drink on a flight this weekend, and I thought no one had been, so I was patiently waiting, while watching a movie. But then I saw them coming around collecting empty glasses from everyone (else).

I guess I missed it because you're not staring into the aisle where you would easily see someone walk by with a tray of glasses. Although I'm still unsure how they didn't offer me one.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
.....I was never offered a pre-departure drink on a flight this weekend, and I thought no one had been, so I was patiently waiting, while watching a movie. But then I saw them coming around collecting empty glasses from everyone (else).....

yyznomad may have some thoughts to share on that (as per his experiences)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
yyznomad may have some thoughts to share on that (as per his experiences)
This happens to me, albeit rarely, on all sorts of AC metal configs.
I just chalk it up to human error... A ring of the call attendant signal usually does the trick. I will give human error the benefit of the doubt and not outright laziness to the staff.

As for angling inwards, yes, one would need a little more periphal vision usage in some cases.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
This happens to me, albeit rarely, on all sorts of AC metal configs.
I just chalk it up to human error... A ring of the call attendant signal usually does the trick. I will give human error the benefit of the doubt and not outright laziness to the staff.

As for angling inwards, yes, one would need a little more periphal vision usage in some cases.
That's the thing though. If I'd realized the drinks had already been served, I would have flagged down a FA and asked for one. But I hadn't seen them come around, and couldn't see glasses on other peoples' tables (whereas on the classic pods, they often end up on the ledge that's visible from the aisle).

I've never pressed the FA call button. Am I just weird like that? I either wait until they come around, or I go up to the galley. On a flight, a legitimate reason to get up and walk around for a bit is something I enjoy
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
That's the thing though. If I'd realized the drinks had already been served, I would have flagged down a FA and asked for one. But I hadn't seen them come around, and couldn't see glasses on other peoples' tables (whereas on the classic pods, they often end up on the ledge that's visible from the aisle).

I've never pressed the FA call button. Am I just weird like that? I either wait until they come around, or I go up to the galley. On a flight, a legitimate reason to get up and walk around for a bit is something I enjoy
Just use the call button like honking your car horn... Sparingly and as really needed under your specific context.

If you want to take a Tylenol for your headache and need a little water during some mild turbulence, that would be a good time to hit the button, for example.

One time I hit the call button because the guy across from me suddenly had a violently bleeding nose and was unable to hit the button himself.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just use the call button like honking your car horn... Sparingly and as really needed under your specific context.

If you want to take a Tylenol for your headache and need a little water during some mild turbulence, that would be a good time to hit the button, for example.

One time I hit the call button because the guy across from me suddenly had a violently bleeding nose and was unable to hit the button himself.
Well in your latter case, I would too.

But "I didn't get my little glass of sparkling wine"... I'm not so sure I'd press it for that
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I've seen a pax snap (and when I say snap, I mean really snap) at an FA because she interrupted his email writing to ash if he wanted something to drink.

Like "can't you see I am fromage busy? Saussage up and leave me the fromage alone!"

So I can see why some FAs are reluctant to "interrupt" other pax. lol
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I've seen a pax snap (and when I say snap, I mean really snap) at an FA because she interrupted his email writing to ash if he wanted something to drink.

Like "can't you see I am fromage busy? Saussage up and leave me the fromage alone!"

So I can see why some FAs are reluctant to "interrupt" other pax. lol
My favourite was when I had my laptop on the tray table and a bunch of documents on the side area (787), and the SD came over and said something like "Scott, if I start to see smoke coming out of your head, I'm going to have to ask you to put the laptop away." I didn't understand it at first, but he was referring to me working too hard

So on the other hand, he "interrupted" me for absolutely no reason, but I didn't mind.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:16 pm

Dessage Meleted

Last edited by SparseFlyer; Apr 15, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Wink ACYYZ/SD by far the best SD we ever experienced

We had ACYYZ/SD on our first ever 787 flight; AC5 YYZ-HND on October 8th and he was fantastic. Looked after us amazingly and was most concerned that I wasn't making the best use of the lie-flat seat (3A) although my wife slept like a log in 2A.

Any of you folks contemplating Tokyo from YYZ we thoroughly recommend you use the 787 both ways, even if it means going one way through HND and the other way through NRT (assuming everyone here knows how to do this on ac.com).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TemboOne
We had ACYYZ/SD on our first ever 787 flight; AC5 YYZ-HND on October 8th and he was fantastic. Looked after us amazingly and was most concerned that I wasn't making the best use of the lie-flat seat (3A) although my wife slept like a log in 2A.

Any of you folks contemplating Tokyo from YYZ we thoroughly recommend you use the 787 both ways, even if it means going one way through HND and the other way through NRT (assuming everyone here knows how to do this on ac.com).
I have some booked J seats on the 787, but unfortunately it's the YYZ-NRT route.

Maybe I will get a chance to meet the YYZ/SD, master of planes.

Edit: What if I met him and never knew about it
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TemboOne

ACYYZ/SD is a legend. Whenever I get chatty with a flight crew, I ask if they know who he is (his real name of course). Every single flight crew has said that they know him and they always comment about his brand - e.g. caring about the passengers in a way most SD's don't. And most know about his presence on FT. (they don't know what FT is, but they know "that board")

I have yet to fly with him. I hope I do one day. Literally if he posts where he is going to fly, I'd probably book a seat in J just to see it for myself.

Anyways, I know this is OT but I hope this stays as it's about another FTer. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:30 pm

I have some booked J seats on the 787, but unfortunately it's the YYZ-NRT route.

Maybe I will get a chance to meet the YYZ/SD, master of planes.

Edit: What if I met him and never knew about it
I keep checking the name tags when I board, but alas, I've never had him.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I have yet to fly with him. I hope I do one day. Literally if he posts where he is going to fly, I'd probably book a seat in J just to see it for myself.
How about we book all the lat fares out of YYZ, and then ask who are the FAs assigned to the flight, and cancel every time it's not him until we get to him.

I keep checking the name tags when I board, but alas, I've never had him.
Even despite your EYW shenanigans? Unlucky.

I have noticed that I often get the same FAs/SDs out of YUL, but they don't recognize me (which I am actually happy about believe it or not).

Maybe YUL is just too small of an airport.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:09 pm

Even despite your EYW shenanigans? Unlucky.
Most of those flights were AC Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.