Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:24 pm

I got the amex aeroplan gold about a week ago for the 30k sign up bonus....used a referral from someone in this forums footer.

Can I now do the amex platinum or should I wait to receive the card in the mail? They have approved the first card.

How long does the amex platinum take? I want to get it so that I can use the Cathay status so I'm also wondering how long that takes to get processed after the card is received.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by calgarytennis
I got the amex aeroplan gold about a week ago for the 30k sign up bonus....used a referral from someone in this forums footer.

Can I now do the amex platinum or should I wait to receive the card in the mail? They have approved the first card.

How long does the amex platinum take? I want to get it so that I can use the Cathay status so I'm also wondering how long that takes to get processed after the card is received.
No harm to apply it now, they are BOTH charge cards (pay off each bill) and easier to get. If you have upcomoing $1000 to spend in the next 3 months, go ahead!

Sadly you cannot self-refer yourself for AMEX Platinum to get the 60K AMEX MR welcome bonus after $1000 spending, so you can use someone's signature link

Once you apply and get approved, the card takes only 3-5 business days to arrive

I believe MPC Gold should come about 7~8 weeks after approval. You can call AMEX once you get the card to enroll over the phone
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by calgarytennis

To maximize the benefits, you should apply for amex gold from GCR to get 25k and $50, then refer yourself for the platinum.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
To maximize the benefits, you should apply for amex gold from GCR to get 25k and $50, then refer yourself for the platinum.
So self referral still works if you have the same family of Amex cards? I thought the self referral loophole has been closed?

OP can have SO apply for the Gold, and SO can refer OP the Platinum.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
After I only saw 5K after spending $500 before my first statement, I Secured-Messaged AMEX about the issue, and was told:
> This is in response to the Aeroplan Miles.
> As per the response from the appropriate team, the Aeroplan Miles will post
> your account within 8-10 weeks.

So, yeah, basically it will turn out to be 3 months if you tack on 8-10 weeks after I got my first statement.

My second statement generates next week (or about 6 weeks after I activated)...I hope to report back with some unexpected GOOD news, though it looks more and more like I won't get the remaining 25K until my 3rd statement posts.
My first statement was generated about 3 days after I got the card, I only had about $100 on it and I received 5k - which made no sense to me at the time.

I got my 2nd statement today, am well over $500 and did not receive any more sign-up bonus miles.

I sent them a message and if anything unusual comes back from them I'll post it here. But at this point after what I've been reading on this thread I don't expect them until the 3rd statement.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
So self referral still works if you have the same family of Amex cards? I thought the self referral loophole has been closed?

OP can have SO apply for the Gold, and SO can refer OP the Platinum.
I am pretty sure it still works, although I haven't done self referral recently.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I am pretty sure it still works, although I haven't done self referral recently.
So, anyone did it recently?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by erik19283
So, anyone did it recently?
Self-referral only really works for AMEX MR family of cards (Gold/Plat/BizGold/BizPlat) and not for Aeroplan-family

Last week a friend self-referred from Plat to Business Gold and got his 15K referral AMEX MR right after approval. So yes it works
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
My first statement was generated about 3 days after I got the card, I only had about $100 on it and I received 5k - which made no sense to me at the time.

I got my 2nd statement today, am well over $500 and did not receive any more sign-up bonus miles.

I sent them a message and if anything unusual comes back from them I'll post it here. But at this point after what I've been reading on this thread I don't expect them until the 3rd statement.
This is quite unusual for Amex. Hope this is just a system issue.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Self-referral only really works for AMEX MR family of cards (Gold/Plat/BizGold/BizPlat) and not for Aeroplan-family

Last week a friend self-referred from Plat to Business Gold and got his 15K referral AMEX MR right after approval. So yes it works
Quite unusual. Any others with success?

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 7:58 pm

I self-referred from Gold to Platinum for myself and it worked back in August. I got the referral bonus almost immediately.

The 50K on the other hand, is still in limbo. I hit $1K spending even before the first statement was issued, and now I'm past my 2nd statement and still haven't got the bonus.

It's unusual for AMEX, since during every churn I've done with them, I got the bonus points immediately when I passed the spending threshold.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by musiclover
What are you thoughts on AMEX Gold vs. AP Gold?

25k vs. 30k welcome bonus but AMEX gives double points on travel, gas, groceries, and drugstore purchases. Travel insurance benefits for first card look slightly better. Not sure how MR points compare with AP points. (Useful? Easy to convert?) Anything else to consider?
AP gold is only Aeroplan. MR can be converted to many programs 1:1 and there are bonus offers throughout the year to convert ie Avios. There used to be bonus offers to convert to Aeroplan.

You're correct, the double miles for gas, groceries and travel makes the Gold Amex attractive. The Gold Amex is my favorite card because of the double miles feature.

When it comes to Platinum card, the features of Amex Platinum with the Marco Polo Gold is attractive. Again, various MR offers to transfer throughout the year, so the points even out except for transfer to Aeroplan which is no longer for the past few years. If an Aeroplan miles collector and minus the CX gold, I would say Aeroplan Platinum is the best.

Because I collect AE points, probably my next Platinum will be the AeroPlat once again. I'm indifferent collecting through Amex Plat, but if I can use Avios and book flights through OneWorld flexibly, then the Amex Plat would edge out.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:14 am

AP gold is only Aeroplan. MR can be converted to many programs 1:1 ...
Well, not really "many" as there is only Aeroplan and Avios that will give you 1:1, and a third one would be Hilton if you included hotels. Other than those 3, there isn't any other program giving you 1:1 in Canada... sadly.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tng11
I self-referred from Gold to Platinum for myself and it worked back in August. I got the referral bonus almost immediately.

The 50K on the other hand, is still in limbo. I hit $1K spending even before the first statement was issued, and now I'm past my 2nd statement and still haven't got the bonus.

It's unusual for AMEX, since during every churn I've done with them, I got the bonus points immediately when I passed the spending threshold.
Is this the regular gold to regular platinum, or Aeroplan Gold to Aeroplat that worked?

Originally Posted by erik19283
Well, not really "many" as there is only Aeroplan and Avios that will give you 1:1, and a third one would be Hilton if you included hotels. Other than those 3, there isn't any other program giving you 1:1 in Canada... sadly.
I guess there was US based programs that I never really looked closely at. Sounds like Avios wants to make waves. At least there is the option of transferring to Aeroplan and Avios. Process of deduction, sounds like Avios is the only program remaining to offer transfer bonuses.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:24 am

...Process of deduction, sounds like Avios is the only program remaining to offer transfer bonuses.
That was the case this year anyway... one can hope for 2014, but I don't really have high hopes for Aeroplan. I'll be watching out for the Avios bonus, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.