Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by musiclover
What are you thoughts on AMEX Gold vs. AP Gold?

25k vs. 30k welcome bonus but AMEX gives double points on travel, gas, groceries, and drugstore purchases. Travel insurance benefits for first card look slightly better. Not sure how MR points compare with AP points. (Useful? Easy to convert?) Anything else to consider?
1. Re cross family referrals. I read posts that it has worked but I have not had anybody personally confirm it. Anyway I tried it out, referred to SPG (before I held) from my Plat and got zilch though the other person got their referred bonus. It seem mileage may vary considerably. My personal experience was frustrated that I could have given someone here a big smile in the morning with a referral request and confirmation of acceptance.

2. Re Gold v. Aeroplus Gold. If you only want one card, you really have to think of your own spend, I think most people would make up the 5,000 difference in sign up bonus on the gas-grocery-pharmacy-travel double points. Heck one big trip can net you 5,000 bonus points. A few people, maybe with high business expenses could get more out of the AP Gold with 1.25 per $ after 10,000; but with such high expenses an Aeroplat or Biz Gold would seem to make more sense. One thing to bear in mind is that the average person can make as many points with two referrals in the year as with their spending. In the past it was always easier to refer the Gold owing to its flexibility and the fact it was better to be referred than sign up off the street. Now the pendulum has swung a bit in that it is the AP Gold card that is most advantageous to be referred to.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by HomoEconomicus
Just the kind of deal I would have jumped on two years—you know, back when AP miles had value.
sure, they have value when the RBC Avion promo to BA is 1.5-1 you get basically one to one to transfer to BA from AP for nothing.

so even without the promo, getting 30K miles for nothing and converting to BA is worth something...so yes, AP miles have value...just not in AP...

should get 30K for me, 30K for wife and 20K for parent who refers...was thinking i missed out on the CIBC 15K offer but this is WAY better.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:19 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Interesting! I'm interested in being referred if anyone qualifies and wants to send me a link. Since I only have the Amex Gold at the moment, I don't want to try to self-refer and miss out. Thanks donnyk

Those 30k would be very helpful in my "book a mini rtw before 2014" project.

Last edited by c_9; Sep 5, 2013 at 8:35 am
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Avios, Aegean
I think in the long run it's better to have a free card.

However, for getting bonus, it's better to apply for both cards (with delay between the 2).

30,000 Aeroplan points free with referral is too good to pass, I got mine recently and I am waiting for my next Amex statement to get my bonus points.

I already have the Amex Gold Rewards, had no issue being approved instanly for Amex Gold Aeroplan Plus.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
1. Re cross family referrals. I read posts that it has worked but I have not had anybody personally confirm it. Anyway I tried it out, referred to SPG (before I held) from my Plat and got zilch though the other person got their referred bonus. It seem mileage may vary considerably. My personal experience was frustrated that I could have given someone here a big smile in the morning with a referral request and confirmation of acceptance.

2. Re Gold v. Aeroplus Gold. If you only want one card, you really have to think of your own spend, I think most people would make up the 5,000 difference in sign up bonus on the gas-grocery-pharmacy-travel double points. Heck one big trip can net you 5,000 bonus points. A few people, maybe with high business expenses could get more out of the AP Gold with 1.25 per $ after 10,000; but with such high expenses an Aeroplat or Biz Gold would seem to make more sense. One thing to bear in mind is that the average person can make as many points with two referrals in the year as with their spending. In the past it was always easier to refer the Gold owing to its flexibility and the fact it was better to be referred than sign up off the street. Now the pendulum has swung a bit in that it is the AP Gold card that is most advantageous to be referred to.
In a funny fortunate way, I earned more AMEX MR from referrals than my annual spending, and it's no wonder why everyone is picking up the referrals nowadays vs. a few months before or even last year

I have Plat, Gold, now AP Gold
and I think I find good value in all of them, and certainly some are better to churn instead

After holding Plat at $399/year for 2 years, I am now gonna churn it and keep GOLD instead. The recent change to remove the incentive to earn AMEX MR for AMEX Gold 25K welcome is partially the reason
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:25 am

Does it mean you absolutely need some referral to benefit from the 30000 points promo with Amex Aeroplan? I got the Amex Gold with the 25000 points promo on their own site, without any referral.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Does it mean you absolutely need some referral to benefit from the 30000 points promo with Amex Aeroplan? I got the Amex Gold with the 25000 points promo on their own site, without any referral.
Yes, since Sep 2, AMEX dropped the additional signup points for the Gold Rewards card, and shifted the incentive to apply by referral onto the Aeroplan Plus Gold card. Probably in an attempt to grab customers who are sitting on the fence, wondering what they should/will do with their existing CIBC Aerogold and soon-to-come TD Aeroplan cards.

So, now you can signup for AMEX Gold Rewards from anywhere and get the same 25K MR points as if you got it from a referral.

It's only the AP Gold Plus that has the benefit of extra 10K Aeros when applying with a referral.

edit: Sorry, there's still the benefit for applying for the Plat and SPG via referrals too.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by LearningToFly
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Yes, since Sep 2, AMEX dropped the additional signup points for the Gold Rewards card, and shifted the incentive to apply by referral onto the Aeroplan Plus Gold card. Probably in an attempt to grab customers who are sitting on the fence, wondering what they should/will do with their existing CIBC Aerogold and soon-to-come TD Aeroplan cards.

So, now you can signup for AMEX Gold Rewards from anywhere and get the same 25K MR points as if you got it from a referral.

It's only the AP Gold Plus that has the benefit of extra 10K Aeros when applying with a referral.

edit: Sorry, there's still the benefit for applying for the Plat and SPG via referrals too.
+1

For simplicity, the cards that receive BETTER offers via REFERRAL are

AMEX AeroplanPlus gold - 30K via referral vs. 20K non-referred. FYF
AMEX Platinum - 60K via referral vs. 50K non-referred. $699/year

SPG - 21K via referral vs. 20K non-referred. $120/year?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
+1

For simplicity, the cards that receive BETTER offers via REFERRAL are

AMEX AeroplanPlus gold - 30K via referral vs. 20K non-referred. FYF
AMEX Platinum - 60K via referral vs. 50K non-referred. $699/year

SPG - 21K via referral vs. 20K non-referred. $120/year?
Jerry, I'm shocked that you didn't include this "we-are-so-not-worthy" card to your list:

AMEX Air miles - 1250 via referral vs 1200 non-referred. FYF ($65/yr)

AND....<wait for it>....allows you to go through Pearson's Priority Lanes in T1 & T3!!
POW!!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Jerry, I'm shocked that you didn't include this "we-are-so-not-worthy" card to your list:

AMEX Air miles - 1250 via referral vs 1200 non-referred. FYF ($65/yr)

AND....<wait for it>....allows you to go through Pearson's Priority Lanes in T1 & T3!!
POW!!
Thanks, didn't know that as I normally don't even pay attention to AMEX Air Miles card, but if I am bored and need more AMEX CC I'll maybe apply it. although 50 Air Miles is small difference

True for Pearson Priority Lane... although I have Plat already, and NEXUS, it's marginally useful for me only
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:30 pm

Jerry, I didn't even have time to take my tongue from out of my cheek before you so quickly, and eloquently responded.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:21 am

Gold

My friend just sent me a referral link for AMEX AP Gold. I signed up and it said on the site free for the year + 30k points after 500 spend and 10k for him.

When I signed up and was approved I spoke to the woman on the phone who told me that I will get 30k after my first spend and 5k after I spend 500 within 3 months

Has anyone heard of this?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA, SPG, HH, IHG, BW
Mgarner123,

What you describe is the reverse of what happened to Mrs A310 Driver. I referred her and she spent over $500 in the first month. Her first statement showed a bonus of 5000 points. She called Amex to ask where the other 25000 bonus points were and was told that the 5000 bonus points were for spending over $500 in the first 3 months and an additional 30000 sign up/referral bonus points should be posted on her next statement. This ties in with the offer small print which states 'Please allow up to eight weeks from the date the bonus miles were earned for the bonus to be awarded.'

If the Amex agent is correct then signing up for Amex Aeroplan Gold through referral is an even better deal than advertised.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Mgarner123
My friend just sent me a referral link for AMEX AP Gold. I signed up and it said on the site free for the year + 30k points after 500 spend and 10k for him.

When I signed up and was approved I spoke to the woman on the phone who told me that I will get 30k after my first spend and 5k after I spend 500 within 3 months

Has anyone heard of this?
Originally Posted by A310 Driver
Mgarner123,

What you describe is the reverse of what happened to Mrs A310 Driver. I referred her and she spent over $500 in the first month. Her first statement showed a bonus of 5000 points. She called Amex to ask where the other 25000 bonus points were and was told that the 5000 bonus points were for spending over $500 in the first 3 months and an additional 30000 sign up/referral bonus points should be posted on her next statement. This ties in with the offer small print which states 'Please allow up to eight weeks from the date the bonus miles were earned for the bonus to be awarded.'

If the Amex agent is correct then signing up for Amex Aeroplan Gold through referral is an even better deal than advertised.
Same here, and most RFD'ers too

After spending $500+ before the statement date, we all got only 5K Aeroplan and not 30K (some people still don't see it on 2nd statement)
People do see REFERRAL bonuses correctly (10K or 15K for AeroPlat)

We can only wait, and hope AMEX fix it
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:47 am

With my AMEX gold card that I got a month ago I spent 500 bucks and got 15k immediately. Still waiting for the extra 10k which they said should have been awarded and is now taking 6-8 weeks.

All my referral points came in instantly.

Any idea how long it takes to post all the points I "deserve" on my account? Does it take longer since they are being posted to Aeroplan and not MR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.