Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:32 am

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your helpful posts. Is this still true (i.e., only 3 months out)? I tried to read a few pages back and I'm confused with the final verdict.

I'm planning to book a round-trip business class (Royal Laurel Class) in December 2015 (YYZ-TPE). Sorry, I'm a newbie here and I'm not exactly sure what "Y/J" actually stands for. How early can I book online? I've done this 2 years in a row and I had to book them almost a year in advance. I've enjoyed EVA Air and it's the best value for my Aeroplan points.

Thank you!

Westwood

Originally Posted by jerryhung
As lucky's blog pointed out

EVA (BR) is now only releasing most seats (Y/J) 3 months out on most N.A. routes
Intra-Asia and Europe routes seem unaffected

Air China (CA) bug with Aeroplan is now fixed so they do show up, not sure if people prefer to fly with them though, ha vs. paying $90 to change to BR 3 months before departure
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Westwood818
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your helpful posts. Is this still true (i.e., only 3 months out)? I tried to read a few pages back and I'm confused with the final verdict.

I'm planning to book a round-trip business class (Royal Laurel Class) in December 2015 (YYZ-TPE). Sorry, I'm a newbie here and I'm not exactly sure what "Y/J" actually stands for. How early can I book online? I've done this 2 years in a row and I had to book them almost a year in advance. I've enjoyed EVA Air and it's the best value for my Aeroplan points.

Thank you!

Westwood
It's about 2-3 months out that you can book now. Y = economy. J = royal laurel/business class. I booked out (a year out) when BR joined star alliance. Now it's impossible to book a year out. sorry.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
It's about 2-3 months out that you can book now. Y = economy. J = royal laurel/business class. I booked out (a year out) when BR joined star alliance. Now it's impossible to book a year out. sorry.
I'm looking at 2-3 months out now for HKG-TPE-YYZ through Eva, can't seem to find anything?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:56 am

Thanks, SuperAngryPenguin!

My first time to book my rewards J flight with them was December 2013. I think EVA Air joined Star Alliance in the summer of 2013. It was pure serendipity that I got the J seats. I was originally booked on Air Canada / ANA. So, I cancelled that initial booking and gladly paid the change fee. I'm extremely happy with EVA Air's Royal Laurel Class.

I'm traveling on EVA Air again this December and am so looking forward to that.

So what do you suggest? So just to be sure I get a J flight to Asia, should I book a year in advance on other airlines and then cancel it once the EVA Air J flights are released in the system?

Thanks again!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
How much flexibility do you have in your schedule for the trip? Is it a vacation or something else where you'll just go when you want to go, or do you have to be somewhere for a specific date? Are you flexible to book much closer in -- think worst case a few weeks before departure?

If you're flexible on when you book the time off and don't need to be anywhere on any specific date, I'd hold off and wait and see. There's almost sure to be something available close in, even if it is on a surcharge-charging carrier (or a non-surcharge carrier that you'd prefer not to fly....)

But if you need to be somewhere on a specific date, book something that meets your needs now, and keep an eye on EVA availability once you get closer to the date. Then take a change fee to make the switch. If you're going from a surcharge carrier to EVA, you'll end up getting a nice bit of your initial spend back.

BTW... if you're flexible on destination as well, TPE doesn't have to be your endpoint, as there a fair number of good (and equally surcharge-free) options for connecting onwards. Just did YYZ-TPE on EVA connecting to TPE-SIN on Singapore last month. Great redemption, great experience. But you can also do onwards connections from TPE on EVA, Air China, and others.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:55 am

Thanks, HometoYYZ!

My itinerary is actually YYZ-TPE-MNL. The trip is for my annual Christmas break to visit family. I do have a little bit of flexibility. But, of course, I want to firm up the dates as early as possible so I can apply for the vacation days at work.

I think I'm leaning towards your second suggestion. Book early then switch to EVA Air. I'll still be way ahead of the game even with the change fee. Christmas is such a super peak season that I don't want to leave things to chance.

In the past, I've taken AC/ANA and that was fine. The taxes and surcharges would amount to about $600+. The flight pattern is actually about an hour faster than going thru TPE. It's still a good deal. But, no where close to EVA Air's charge of $54.16.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Westwood818
Thanks, SuperAngryPenguin!

My first time to book my rewards J flight with them was December 2013. I think EVA Air joined Star Alliance in the summer of 2013. It was pure serendipity that I got the J seats. I was originally booked on Air Canada / ANA. So, I cancelled that initial booking and gladly paid the change fee. I'm extremely happy with EVA Air's Royal Laurel Class.

I'm traveling on EVA Air again this December and am so looking forward to that.

So what do you suggest? So just to be sure I get a J flight to Asia, should I book a year in advance on other airlines and then cancel it once the EVA Air J flights are released in the system?

Thanks again!
You're welcome. And yes, I would recommend what you suggested. Pain that inventory on BR is now released like this.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I understand that BR is starting service IAH-TPE and ORD-TPE in July 2015... does anyone have any insight as to the likelihood of award availability on a new route?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I understand that BR is starting service IAH-TPE and ORD-TPE in July 2015... does anyone have any insight as to the likelihood of award availability on a new route?
Actually there is no official word yet, besides newspaper commenting on TPE-IAH 4x weekly starting July 2015

TPE-ORD will be 2016

Even though BR blocks out many routes nowadays before 3 months out, it still opens its less popular routes to Europe I think, like CDG-TPE Y and J was wide open 12 months out, but nothing (Y or J) on TPE-N.A. flights (YYZ/LAX/SFO/JFK)

My guess is open award availability on new routes
but from East Coast Canada, we may run into MPM5 (or gone after 10/29) issues as YYZ-IAH-TPE is 22% more miles than YYZ-TPE direct
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:01 am
alc

I just did a search for one-way YYZ-HKG for Oct 18, 2015 and BR flights show-up. But the issue is that once I change the PAX to 2, they disappear. So, maybe the issue had been that BR35 only release 1 seat now?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:52 am

Just to test the system, last night, I searched for a one way YYZ-TPE-MNL for October 21, 2015 and found an EVA Air flight (the trans-Pacific leg was in Coach and the 2nd leg was in Business). This morning, it's gone.

All the flights for October 22, 2015 are not yet showing.

Last edited by Westwood818; Nov 1, 2014 at 6:54 am Reason: Edit typo
Old Nov 1, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Originally Posted by alc
I just did a search for one-way YYZ-HKG for Oct 18, 2015 and BR flights show-up. But the issue is that once I change the PAX to 2, they disappear. So, maybe the issue had been that BR35 only release 1 seat now?
yes, this seems to be the case. they'll have 1 seat up for grabs then there is sometimes another seat that opens up (after you book the first seat)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:11 am
alc

Originally Posted by jerryhung
It's unclear what *G benefit will apply, 1 extra luggage, or simply "extra weight allowance from 23kg to 28kg"
NVM, looks like 1 extra 20kg baggage (for Per Piece system)
http://www.evaair.com/en-global/infi...nd-privileges/
I did a few search here, on EVA web site and Google in general, got a few info here and there, but thought to ask all the FT members that had took a BR ticket on AP ticket about the *G benefit question that Jerry initially wonder back in Jun 2013

My flight is YYZ-TPE-HKG and back the same route. From the EVA Web site:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/check-in...on/allowances/

It seems regular non-status member will get 2 x 50lb and *G get me additonal 1 x 50lb. I do normally pack my bags over close to 60lb to 65lb, hence was hoping to get 2 x 70lb.

Can someone confirm what their experience is?

Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:13 am
Suspended

I'm not sure about weight, but on my ticket online, it shows *G, 3 bags.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by alc
I did a few search here, on EVA web site and Google in general, got a few info here and there, but thought to ask all the FT members that had took a BR ticket on AP ticket about the *G benefit question that Jerry initially wonder back in Jun 2013

My flight is YYZ-TPE-HKG and back the same route. From the EVA Web site:

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/check-in...on/allowances/

It seems regular non-status member will get 2 x 50lb and *G get me additonal 1 x 50lb. I do normally pack my bags over close to 60lb to 65lb, hence was hoping to get 2 x 70lb.

Can someone confirm what their experience is?

Thanks.
I recall it was 3 bags (23kg) for my 2013 trip (*G)
Y gets 2 x 23kg, Prem. Y gets 2 x 28kg, J gets 2 x 32kg

so it's actually better to be *G to get extra 23kg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.