Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All about Eva (BR); AP numbers recognized, earning & award info, seat assignment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
TPE to downtown Taipei is about at 40 minute cab ride, it is always a flat 1200 NTD (
approx $40).

There are some hotels near the airport, but I have never tried any of them.
I believe there's only 1 overnight hotel by airport (Novotel Taipei Taoyuan Airport), via shuttle
http://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/hotel-shuttels

TPE to Taipei has MANY buses & routes, that'd be your best bet for solo traveller. Costs about $120 NT ($4 USD/CAD)
They have luggage storage too, some goes by Taipei train station, some goes to hotels, etc..

http://www.taoyuan-airport.com/engli...transportation
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
TPE to downtown Taipei is about at 40 minute cab ride, it is always a flat 1200 NTD (
approx $40).

There are some hotels near the airport, but I have never tried any of them.
Thanks. Normally in this and any other Asian cities, do I need to convert to local currency or could pay in $ or credit card. If I just overnite, it would be difficult to know how much one needs and if going to several places with different currency, then it multiplies.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Thanks. Normally in this and any other Asian cities, do I need to convert to local currency or could pay in $ or credit card. If I just overnite, it would be difficult to know how much one needs and if going to several places with different currency, then it multiplies.
In TPE, local currencies (New Taiwanese Dollar NT) is much more accepted
CC would only be accepted in "modern/newer" shops

Even $100 USD = $3000 NT is more than enough
If you don't want to do that much, $50 USD/$1500 NT is good
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I am not 100% certain, but I believe many ( most??) cabs in TPE do accept credit cards.
However, I would have some cash just in case.

Keep in mind that TPE is one of those airports in which Forex is not competitive with
changing money in town at a bank. So just change the absolute minimum you need to
get into town, and do the rest the next day at a bank.

$50 US/CAD should do it.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:39 am

New updates from latest Abacus

Check-in will move to YYZ T1 (from T3) starting (including) Jan 16, 2014
二、 多倫多航線,自16JAN14(含)起,報到櫃台由原本第三航廈(Terminal-3)改至第一航廈(Terminal-1),請同業公告周知。
Personally I like the Plaza lounge T3 better than MLL/PP lounge T1
and hoping they'll at least keep T1 lounge open till 12~1 am (for 1:30am departure)
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Decided to book an intra-Asia award for 2/2014 on AE using BR, so booked this on line for under $50 in taxes/fees:

NRT-TPE-HKG in J and return flight, same routing.

What I liked was how EVA's web system meshed with the AE booking--I was able to select seats on each of the 4 flight segments and double check the reservation by signing it with the AE ticket number starting with 014.

If only all *A partners could integrate their systems to that degree.

(and yes, 2 of those segments are on the (in)famous Hello Kitty planes. )
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:09 pm
Suspended

confusing Eva class names

I'm booking some tickets for my parents to fly to Asia and considering putting them on Eva.

Aeroplan has a business reward open on them that has nice timing for us, but they couldn't verify exactly what business class represents on Eva's three class product.

They use:

For class names making it a bit more confusing.

The 747 map on their website shows 5 classes.

== [ Premium Laurel / Business / Evergreen Delux ] , Elite , Economy ==

The first three classes *might* be grouped together into the top class for these. I don't get why they have three separate names though.

The 777 uses 3 classes:

== Royal Laurel (lay flat) , Elite (recliners) , Economy ==

So this makes for a total of 7 different class types.

320 has 2 classes

== Premium Laurel / Economy ==

So, basic question is, if I book "business class" and the parents end up on a combo of the 320 and the 777, what exactly am I buying?

Looks like the 320 is clear because it's just 2 classes. If the 777 is a first, business, economy layout then they're into recliners, if it's a business, PE, economy, then they're into recliners.

Again, Aeroplan has no idea what I'm getting so wondering if anyone here knows.

Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
This is the information I used when booking Eva which helped me find what I wanted in terms of classes:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Eva...nformation.php
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Eva does not offer any first class whatsoever. Eva offers Business, Premium Economy, and Economy.

Eva's Business is broken into three names:

"Royal Laurel" which is their NEW business product
(I believe only offered on 777-300ER which flies TPE-JFK,LAX,SFO,YYZ,CDG,AMS,LHR)
http://www.evaair.com/en-us/flying-w...class/onboard/

"Premium Laurel" which is their OLD business product

and

"Business" which is their intra-Asia and 747-400 Kombi (1/2 cargo plane)

Eva's Premium Economy is broken down into two products:

"Elite" on 777-300ER and updated 747-400s (i.e. the new product)

and "Evergreen Deluxe" on all the older planes.

To answer your specific question, in business on the 777-300ER they are definitely getting the very nice new Royal Laurel pod style (as long as they are flying one of the routes I posted above). On the 320 they are definitely getting the quite old Premium Laurel. Hope that helps.

Last edited by lowside67; Dec 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:26 pm

If they book Y in Aeroplan (say 75K), they'll always get EVA Y, easy

If they book J in Aeroplan (say 125K RT), then they get EVA J/C (Royal Laurel on almost all 77W now, you just want to avoid the 747)
note that EVA will get some new 77W with slightly different layout too, but still R.L. business class regardless

If you give us the routing we can even tell you
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:10 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
TPE-BKK also gets Royal Laurel on many (possibly all) flights, as it's merely an intermediate stop on the European routes.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:38 am
Suspended

Great, thanks for the info guys, I can book this now with some confidence I'm not going to torture them
Old Dec 25, 2013, 10:17 am

TPE is an easy airport. You usually make it through immigration and customs quite fast. A lot of countries citizens get up to 90 days visa free entry.

Changing money at the airport is also great. You get the same rates as banks in downtown Taipei. They do not penalize you because you changed money at the airport.

Also many ATM (if not all there) you can use your Debit card to get Taiwan dollars.

You should get the New Taiwan dollars (NT) for ease of use in Taiwan. Foreign currency is not easy accepted in general. It is also very easy to change the NT dollars back to US dollars (or a handful of other currencies) with no issues back at the airport. No surcharges like many/most other airports. Other then the usual exchange rate difference between selling and buying NT dollars.

Most people take airport buses from TPE to downtown Taipei city. EVA has shuttle buses too that are nice. I usually take them.

BUt now i prefer to take the local shuttle bus (50 NTD if I recall) from the terminal to the HIgh Speed Rail. Taiwan's imported Shinkansen trains.

The buses leave every 15 mins or so , you can ask where the stop is. They have a stop at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Pay bus driver onboard (NT only).

The train to taipei is about 130nt and takes only about 20 minutes. ITs good and fast. And no traffic worries about the freeway.

The bus ride to the HSR takes about 20 minutes though.

The MRT subway system is connected to the HSR and is in english and easy to use. IT covers a wide area of Taipei and runs a bit past midnight.

A lot of one day/two day tourists like visiting the Taipei 101 area, the Hsimenting entertainment area, and often the Tamshui pier (all accessible by MRT).
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
New updates from latest Abacus

Check-in will move to YYZ T1 (from T3) starting (including) Jan 16, 2014

Personally I like the Plaza lounge T3 better than MLL/PP lounge T1
and hoping they'll at least keep T1 lounge open till 12~1 am (for 1:30am departure)
Thanks for this update. Flying BR in 2014
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by tommy525
Changing money at the airport is also great. You get the same rates as banks in downtown Taipei. They do not penalize you because you changed money at the airport.

Not true. All the banks at the airport levy a " service charge" " per note".
So if you change, say USD 100, they deduct an extra 50NTD, or almost 2%.

Still better off changing at banks in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.