Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
What is the reason that the wide body aircraft do not have wifi? I am the first to admit enjoying no connectivity so no one can bother me in general, but sometimes it is a necessary addition when flying for business during business hours.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by coleo
What is the reason that the wide body aircraft do not have wifi? I am the first to admit enjoying no connectivity so no one can bother me in general, but sometimes it is a necessary addition when flying for business during business hours.
They use a different system from the narrowbody planes (satellite vs ground based), and I understand that there were some issues between AC and GoGo on the installation of the satellite version.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:06 am

I spent an hour on GOGO Customer Chat today. Got disconnected at least 15 times and had to be transferred to 2 agents. After pleading with them they eventually refunded $75 of passes. They also said:

"I added a flight pass to your account for today I know all planes are being equipped with satellite technology it will not be soon enough for our customers"
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Actually find it halirious that I can stream Netflix at full HD on a cruise ship with 9000 prople for $18 Cad a day but AC still can't offer basic wifi on longhaul and want to charge the same on a 4 hour TCON flight for some garbage wifi speed.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Actually find it halirious that I can stream Netflix at full HD on a cruise ship with 9000 prople for $18 Cad a day but AC still can't offer basic wifi on longhaul and want to charge the same on a 4 hour TCON flight for some garbage wifi speed.
I thought it was $29 a TCON flight?

If they had better pricing, then I would pay for it more often.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:04 am

My experience with the US Mobile Unlimited Hot Spot thing. I bought a pass that was activated Aug 4 and expired Sept 6; it does not auto-renew apparently. Today I went onto US Mobile so I could see if I needed to reactivate and there was no option or any indication other than a "Waiting List". I chatted quickly with CSR Bot and this was response:

"please note that right now our development team is working to fix the problem, so you will not be able to renew you wifi plan right now unfortunately. But once the problem is resolved we will inform you right away. let me have updated the email here where it say in red "sold out join waitlist" https://www.usmobile.com/wifiI'm sincerely sorry, for the time being we're out of the WiFI plans, we're in the process of procuring more of them. However, just for reference when it comes to the WiFi plan, whenever a new one is purchased, it is a new pass, we're currently out of passes. If you'd like I can add your name to the waiting list."

All in all I would give it 5/10. iPass goes crazy when connecting to hotels/lounge hot spots, so will uninstall until this US Mobile pass comes back for $10/month.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
I find even more hilarious that you think an aircraft with a ~20cm receiver should have the same bandwidth capability as a cruise ship that has multiple 2.4 Meter receivers.

Also, I suspect majority of people on a cruise ship are engaged in activities other that watching Netflix, well maybe the chill part is accurate.

Whereas on an aircraft, most people are probably trying to simultaneously use the very limited bandwidth available to the aircraft.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jaysona
I find even more hilarious that you think an aircraft with a ~20cm receiver should have the same bandwidth capability as a cruise ship that has multiple 2.4 Meter receivers.
Agree, and it's not only the size that matters. The dish antennas used on ships have a much higher dBi gain comparing to the patch antennas used on aircrafts with Satcom hump, even if they are the same size and operate under the same frequency. Not to mention that the dish antennas can point directly to the radio source for better directivity gain.

Also with limited space and various constraints in weight and power consumption, the amplifier and filter on aircrafts are not as good as the ones used for Maritimes in terms of gain and SNR.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Member

Delta flights to offer free in-flight texting

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/27/tech...ing/index.html

Something for AC flyers to look for in 2032.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Marriott Platinum
Air Canada Go Go Wifi

Hi All,

This may not belong here - but I'm not sure if the GoGo is specific for each carrier.

Question: The GoGo wifi is accessed on yearly subscription by a password and user ID correct?

Could my wife and I share that login and use it at different times? I.e if I'm flying Monday could she login, and if she's flying Tuesday could she login?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Erome
Hi All,

This may not belong here - but I'm not sure if the GoGo is specific for each carrier.

Question: The GoGo wifi is accessed on yearly subscription by a password and user ID correct?

Could my wife and I share that login and use it at different times? I.e if I'm flying Monday could she login, and if she's flying Tuesday could she login?

Thanks!
Yes, yes, and yes.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Well, that's probably against the terms, but if you're asking from a technical perspective, see yyznomad's reply.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well, that's probably against the terms, but if you're asking from a technical perspective, see yyznomad's reply.
When you subscribe to a wifi pass, you agree not to share it. CC is correct, it is meant as a pass for one passenger.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So what is actually happening with widebody internet?

BELOW: AC's own press release from March 2016
Under the agreement announced today, Air Canada will begin installing GogoŽ 2Ku satellite technology on its wide-body fleet commencing this fall with its Boeing 777 aircraft. At present, Air Canada is the only Canadian carrier to offer customers in-flight Wi-fi across its entire narrow-body fleet of aircraft on flights within North America.
So the project is well one year behind schedule?

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 13, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC 75K
So what is actually happening with widebody internet?
This is from a transcript of the most recent analyst call covering Q3 earnings:

"Looking ahead, we will take the delivery of our first Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft in the fourth quarter, beginning the rejuvenation and optimization of our narrow-body fleet. We are looking forward to the unit cost advantages this aircraft will bring to our fleet, as well as the industry-leading in-flight entertainment system and satellite WiFi that will be installed at the time of delivery. The same standard of satellite WiFi continues to be installed across our wide-body aircraft, as well as our entire Rouge fleet. The technology will be fully operational on several of these aircraft beginning near the end of the fourth quarter, with the completion of this program on our Boeing 787 and 777 fleets, as well as our Rouge Boeing 767 fleet by the end of 2018, and the completion on our Airbus A330s by March 2019."

Full transcript here: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/edite...222559623.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.