Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What's the difference?
Perhaps you could go with just the months in which you breathe.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Some people don't fly every month.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wco81
Some people don't fly every month.
I'm well aware of that, hence the in my post... But many of us on FT fly every month and more. Last calendar month I didn't get on a plane was May of 2014, which surprised me, because I thought it would have been sometime in 2012. And I'm just a bottom-feeder SE, I'm sure that true road warriors like YEG_SE4_Life, yyznomad, jaysona, etc have much longer streaks.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I'm well aware of that, hence the in my post... But many of us on FT fly every month and more. Last calendar month I didn't get on a plane was May of 2014, which surprised me, because I thought it would have been sometime in 2012. And I'm just a bottom-feeder SE, I'm sure that true road warriors like YEG_SE4_Life, yyznomad, jaysona, etc have much longer streaks.
I think I would be going back to the early nineties.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Are you going to give it a try?
I'm just waiting for someone to announce the YYC do so I can try it out
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
FWIW, I have written about iPass either up thread or in another thread. I have a subscription through my employer. It works very well, it is just a gateway to the standard gogo wifi service. I believe it is bound to a device (for your $8.99/month) and not a user -- mine is bound to my phone not my laptop for example. Anyway, it is tough to go wrong. It pays for itself on one long haul NA flight. And it works on DL too, but not UA.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
My experience so far:

-tried to activate the service inflight- mistake. You need to visit the us mobile page for this, which requires internet. Paid $6 for 30 min access.
-After activating it, I was told I had to download the IPASS app, which is about 56 MB. Time to download: 47 mins. Another fail. So I had to buy another $6.95 pass
-By the time I got off the flight, the thing had not downloaded and I didn't get a chance to use it.
-When I got to hotel, the iPass app started up, but now steps infront of every single internet connection and has pop up windows on every reboot of computer

I'm not sure I'm liking this so far but will give it another couple tries. Once again, gogo service has proven useless.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by coleo
I'm not sure I'm liking this so far but will give it another couple tries. Once again, gogo service has proven useless.
Shouldn't you be blaming iPass rather than Gogo?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:17 am

Shouldn't you be blaming iPass rather than Gogo?
Well if gogo didn't download at a dial-up 64k speed then maybe I wouldn't have listed them on my $hit list, but 47 mins to download a small ap is pretty much as useless as it gets. I am a little unsure of how iPass functions as it hasn't really worked yet, so will reserve vitriol at this point and just say it is annoying to have pop up windows and more logins.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:01 pm

So my first experience with iPass working was opening my laptop at Burbank airport. The app seemed to open right away and find a hotspot which I just accepted and everything started working pretty quickly. I didn't even have to select it from my wifi network. If this is how it works then I'd say its a nifty tool that pays for itself after a couple days if you are stuck buying wifi on any single travel day for $9 or $12.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by coleo
The app seemed to open right away and find a hotspot which I just accepted and everything started working pretty quickly.
Having used iPass in a bunch places around the world, that's pretty much its claim to fame. Having said that, it tends to favour 'open' hotspots (through their partners) that sometimes have pretty miserable speeds, so sometimes you will want to manually select another hotspot just to get better throughput.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:20 pm

Flew on C-FJZD the other day. As it was on June 9th, WiFi was not working.

However, this time, the crew didn't announce WiFi was available and have the little blue WiFi sign on. Instead, they made an announcement that because this was one of their newer planes, WiFi wasn't working.

In what frigging world is "this thing is new" constitute an excuse of things not working? It's when things are new that they're SUPPOSED TO WORK!

That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard an FA say. I'm sure it wasn't her fault since she seemed to be reading from a script, but that is just ridiculous.

And AC, get the damned WiFi working on that plane.

Anyone have any CR9 experience to report on - do they all have the same problem?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Flew on C-FJZD the other day. As it was on June 9th, WiFi was not working.

However, this time, the crew didn't announce WiFi was available and have the little blue WiFi sign on. Instead, they made an announcement that because this was one of their newer planes, WiFi wasn't working.

In what frigging world is "this thing is new" constitute an excuse of things not working? It's when things are new that they're SUPPOSED TO WORK!

That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard an FA say. I'm sure it wasn't her fault since she seemed to be reading from a script, but that is just ridiculous.

And AC, get the damned WiFi working on that plane.

Anyone have any CR9 experience to report on - do they all have the same problem?
Go-Go ATG is not a line fit item, so the statement about it being a new plane is perfectly valid.

I guess AC felt it was better to have the airframe in revenue service vs. the additional week or so of ground time required to remove the panels, drill holes, run wiring harnesses, install the external antenna, install the internal equipment, compete ground testing and certification documents, etc.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona
Go-Go ATG is not a line fit item, so the statement about it being a new plane is perfectly valid.

I guess AC felt it was better to have the airframe in revenue service vs. the additional week or so of ground time required to remove the panels, drill holes, run wiring harnesses, install the external antenna, install the internal equipment, compete ground testing and certification documents, etc.
1. The plane was delivered to AC back in January. It was in YHZ for several months before entering revenue service. That really wasn't the right time to install the WiFi?

2. I've flown on that fin twice and both times they didn't say it wasn't installed, they said it wasn't working yet. If it hasn't been installed, just say it's not installed.

3. AC was way behind the US3 in rolling out WiFi. They finally got the narrowbody fleet basically finished a while back, but now they're intentionally rolling out brand new planes without WiFi? Pretty poor from a customer service perspective.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
3. AC was way behind the US3 in rolling out WiFi. They finally got the narrowbody fleet basically finished a while back, but now they're intentionally rolling out brand new planes without WiFi? Pretty poor from a customer service perspective.
This is the part that annoys me.

AC finally got to the point where I'd know if there'd be wifi based on how many aisles were on the plane.

Now I can't even depend on aircraft type again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.