Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Air Canada Has WiFi!

I am currently on AC1040 DEN-YYZ. It is a E190 and WiFi service has been installed and seems to work reasonably well. CAD $9.95 for the duration of the flight. It will work within 100 miles of the USA border according to the sign in page.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Yeah I've had it on all of my E90s this week I think. But $5/hour or $10/flight is a little steep. I definitely would have bought a month pass for this week if it were offered
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3247 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Yeah I had it on my yyz-yyc E90 the other day. I thought the flight or day price was $20, but if it was $10, not terrible. $20 was definitely too much, $10 for a single flight is also pushing it though.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yeah I've had it on all of my E90s this week I think. But $5/hour or $10/flight is a little steep. I definitely would have bought a month pass for this week if it were offered
They really really do need to offer a monthly pass option! Maybe they will when it's on more planes?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Set up an account on www.gogoair.com. There is a buy before you fly option for $49.95 - $59.95 (Unlimited/Month).
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Flew PTY to EWR on UA. Unlimited wifi was $2
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Silvercity
Don't tell AC. They will now have to begin a search to find a major competitor offering it at $20 a flight to benchmark against. Part of their never ending quest to find the worst traits of every competitor and adopt those as AC standards. Next year if you fly 100k on AC metal only you will be able to choose SE status or 10 complimentary wifi access sessions as part of your Altitude 2016 "benefits".
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ridefar
Don't tell AC. They will now have to begin a search to find a major competitor offering it at $20 a flight to benchmark against. Part of their never ending quest to find the worst traits of every competitor and adopt those as AC standards. Next year if you fly 100k on AC metal only you will be able to choose SE status or 10 complimentary wifi access sessions as part of your Altitude 2016 "benefits".
10 seems awfully generous. After all, we want to make sure we can continue to invest into the onboard WIFI program
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by ridefar
Don't tell AC. They will now have to begin a search to find a major competitor offering it at $20 a flight to benchmark against. Part of their never ending quest to find the worst traits of every competitor and adopt those as AC standards.

^^^
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Set up an account on www.gogoair.com. There is a buy before you fly option for $49.95 - $59.95 (Unlimited/Month).
awesome! thank you! I didn't even see that advertised before.

cow - you should have done it too :P
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Silvercity
I recall UA wifi being more than $2. I think it was around $12 per segment on my flight out of Chicago.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I recall UA wifi being more than $2. I think it was around $12 per segment on my flight out of Chicago.
When I flew from MCO -> IAD on UA via my android smartphone it was $1 for an hour of apps and email or $2 for an hour apps/email and web. I chose $1 and it worked in chrome no issues (which was no surprise!). If you don't close the page you sign in/pay from, there is also an option to pause your time so you can stretch it out if need be. Speeds were pretty good.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:52 pm
Suspended

$1,200 wifi bill

And don't be this guy (Canadian no less)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...es-flight.html
Old Nov 15, 2014, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse

I think AC should do something like these, you know, to let us know where it's available and perhaps the progress and even a FAQ page

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx

As for costs, UA has a great (long and detailed) list of FAQs (esp "Internet Purchase Process" and "Features and Restrictions")

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...wifi/faqs.aspx
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Do all E90's have wifi by now? Sort of excited flying it tomorrow. Will definitely pay for Wifi so I can be productive. Which by the way, are the speeds enough to watch Youtube videos?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.