Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Write them an email saying the service didn't work for most of the time and you'd like your money back. I've gotten numerous refunds from Gogo like this.

Note to less-scrupulous posters: only do this if the service actually didn't work.
+1. Gogo's not perfect, but their customer service has been pretty good. Last year they even once e-mailed me with an apology for the bad service on a flight the day before, before I had even had a chance to complain, and gave me another free session to compensate.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by billdokes
So I got sucked in yesterday and bought the GoGo Inflight WiFi Service from SEA to YYZ...I bought a 30 min pass which actually allowed me to connect for about half the time at ridiculously slow speeds. They took my money and I thought I'd never hear from them but then today they send me a survey which wasn't really about asking about my experience but rather phishing for my personal info (income, etc) so that they can surely re-sell this info to others. Total scam in my opinion and Air Canada should be embarrassed to offer that pathetic service at that cost...I had a much better experience 2 weeks ago using United's service...better service at a better cost.
Your experience is not uncommon for ATG wifi and satellite will not be much better. You are using an extremely high latency and low bandwidth shared connection. The peak bandwidth to the aircraft is in the range of 3Mbps but typically it is less than that. There there is the issue of the placement of ground towers. Flying over the Rockies and other mountain ranges will yield spottier coverage until the aircraft comes into range of more manageable terrain.

Not making excuses, just trying to set expectations based on the limitations of the current technology in use. I think many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to inflight Internet access.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by jaysona
Your experience is not uncommon for ATG wifi and satellite will not be much better. You are using an extremely high latency and low bandwidth shared connection. The peak bandwidth to the aircraft is in the range of 3Mbps but typically it is less than that. There there is the issue of the placement of ground towers. Flying over the Rockies and other mountain ranges will yield spottier coverage until the aircraft comes into range of more manageable terrain.

Not making excuses, just trying to set expectations based on the limitations of the current technology in use. I think many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to inflight Internet access.
IME Gogo ATG is unusable most of the time and Gogo 2Ku is unusable a quarter of the time. As mentioned, they are however great at refunds so it's worth trying. This has been on continental US flights, maybe the spotbeams are just congested?

I have had great experiences on United TATL (Panasonic?, I think on Ka band) so far, like good enough to stream video (using VPN of course).

For reference, the whole plane shares a max of 3-9mbps for Gogo ATG (depending on generation) and satellite based systems range from a shared max of 5 to 70mbps (with more latency).

I really do hope AC gets whatever United uses for international flights, preferably in time for my YYZ-FRA segment next week.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The latest AC Android app suggests that rouge 319s have wifi now.
It does not say anything for the 321 or 763.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It does not say anything for the 321 or 763.
Unfortunately I won't be on one anytime soon to find out hahaha

Do you know if the speeds are dependant on where you are flying over or is it based on how many people are connected and using the bandwidth?

Speeds/connectivity are very random for me, no matter what plane/airline I fly.

I think I've had to request a refund one time as it didn't work altogether but never had any issues on AC
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Do you know if the speeds are dependant on where you are flying over or is it based on how many people are connected and using the bandwidth?
Yes.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:43 pm

At least one of the aircraft does; I've seen the 2Ku radome on top of the fuselage. Unclear what the bigger picture plans are and neither AC nor Gogo are answering inquiries.

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Performance will depend on a variety of factors, including:
  • Others on the plane
  • Where you are flying over
  • What connectivity technology the plane you are on uses
  • Other aircraft nearby using the same connectivity technology and demand from that plane
Probably a few other things, too, but those all matter.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
At least one of the aircraft does; I've seen the 2Ku radome on top of the fuselage. Unclear what the bigger picture plans are and neither AC nor Gogo are answering inquiries.
Then you're asking the wrong people

The "bigger picture plans" are to get wifi on every aircraft with a J/PY cabin.

Though I'd love if they put it on the Q400s as well
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Then you're asking the wrong people

The "bigger picture plans" are to get wifi on every aircraft with a J/PY cabin.

Though I'd love if they put it on the Q400s as well
Installation was said it was going to start in the fall of 2016 of a public news release that AC did for all widebody's. But I can't seem to find a widebody yet that has it. Any luck anyone?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Installation was said it was going to start in the fall of 2016 of a public news release that AC did for all widebody's. But I can't seem to find a widebody yet that has it. Any luck anyone?
Are you saying you haven't found a wide body with it installed, or with it turned on?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Are you saying you haven't found a wide body with it installed, or with it turned on?
From the customer's​ perspective, I would argue it's irrelevant - no WiFi = no WiFi
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
From the customer's​ perspective, I would argue it's irrelevant - no WiFi = no WiFi
Not in the context of Sean talking about "installation"
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Irrelevant
If you do not see the antenna on the top of the aircraft fuselage, then the wi-fi equipment has not been installed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*A
All Air Canada Rouge A319s now fitted with Gogo 2KU Wifi

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/0...ss-a319-fleet/

I guess this explains why the intl fleet hasn't been retrofitted

All 20 Rouge 319s now have Gogo 2Ku, but as the article mentions, no confirmation from Air Canada... yet.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
I enquired about wide body WiFi on a TPAC flight earlier this year, and the AC staff I was discussing with indicated that the plan is to have them installed this year, but that AC is looking at switching ISP from Gogo. The last few times I used the onboard WiFi on AC flights, the speed was terrible and the connectivity was inconsistent. Mind you my LH a WiFi experience this year wasn't great either. Gonna try TK next month.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.