Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just back from BGI. Have a really good tale to tell about January 31st AC1714 flight that was,then about 6pm that day ,was not.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Just noticed YYZ-YQT/YQT-YYZ has been partially rouged as of May... It's now a mix of Rouge A319 and Jazz Q400. This is not a move I expected for this partiular route O_o. Regular jet service to YQT again.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:37 am

YYZ-YQM also going to rouge..
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
It will ALL go rouge at some point. AC loves the lower operating costs and couldn't care less about anyone's experience, FFs included.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
It will ALL go rouge at some point. AC loves the lower operating costs and couldn't care less about anyone's experience, FFs included.
Is Rouge cheaper than Jazz, though? (I honestly don't know here.)

I'm also unsure of the big capacity boost + operating costs of the A319 vs Q400 in markets liek YQT and YQM.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:38 am

Apparently my May 1st YQT-YYZ-LHR has been changed (with NO email notification of course) and I have been out on Rouge. 4.5 hours earlier (so now an 8 (!) hour layover in YYZ). In Rouge Y, and not PY/J. On an international J fare.

This is not at all acceptable. At all.

Also seems there's big frequency slash. All Q400 flights are now gone. 2 or 3 Rouge flights a day as opposed to the 4-6 DH4 flights. Goody.

EDIT: Phoned in, and got it fixed up. FYI for anyone else in this situation: They will move you to Premium Rouge, but you have to phone in. Auto-booker always selects Y.

Last edited by D404; Feb 21, 2019 at 7:36 am
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by D404
Is Rouge cheaper than Jazz, though? (I honestly don't know here.)
Not that I've noticed, but it always irks me to see Rouge routinely referred to as a "low cost airline" (see CBC report today on new YXU-YYC Rouge service), when there is little, if any difference between them and mainline. Low cost for AC maybe, but not for passengers. And they never get called out for it,
Symmetre likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Academic
Not that I've noticed, but it always irks me to see Rouge routinely referred to as a "low cost airline" (see CBC report today on new YXU-YYC Rouge service), when there is little, if any difference between them and mainline. Low cost for AC maybe, but not for passengers. And they never get called out for it,
This has been mentioned repeatedly since this thread was started. Even some aviation-related sites still refer to both WS and rouge as LCCs.

Until AC decides to notify the media that rouge only cost them less - and not the pax - this myth will continue. Seems to be working, planes are full, right?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Academic
Oh, I agree. By cheaper, I referred solely to operating costs for AC vs operating costs if it was kept Jazz.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE
Also seems there's big frequency slash. All Q400 flights are now gone. 2 or 3 Rouge flights a day as opposed to the 4-6 DH4 flights. Goody.
The same thing happened when YQB-YYZ was rouged. Capacity was maintained but frequency was slashed big time. I feel your pain.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Apparently my May 1st YQT-YYZ-LHR has been changed (with NO email notification of course) and I have been out on Rouge. 4.5 hours earlier (so now an 8 (!) hour layover in YYZ). In Rouge Y, and not PY/J. On an international J fare.

This is not at all acceptable. At all.

EDIT: Phoned in, and got it fixed up. FYI for anyone else in this situation: They will move you to Premium Rouge, but you have to phone in. Auto-booker always selects Y.
The rebooker will keep you in your confirmed cabin, which was Y. I'm glad you got that sorted out, but I could see how the lack of frequency would naturally extend any connection.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The rebooker will keep you in your confirmed cabin, which was Y. I'm glad you got that sorted out, but I could see how the lack of frequency would naturally extend any connection.
I'm not sure why it did, actually. The next YQT-YYZ flight (which I changed to) still left me with 1h44m to connect, well within the Canada to International MTC. Maybe it has some rule were it will only make the connection longer, and never shorter.

And most of my annoyance came from the lack of notifcation .
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
ACR launching YXU-YYC Seasonal Summer Services

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...London-Ontario

Morning departure from YXU and afternoon departure from YYC
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:30 pm

The next YQT-YYZ flight (which I changed to) still left me with 1h44m to connect, well within the Canada to International MTC.
Call and get it changed to the tighter connection. Or take advantage of the stopover hotel program.

https://atwonline.com/airports-route...express-fleets

The moves come as Air Canada prepares to add 10 aircraft to its 53-aircraft rouge fleet in 2019.
The leisure subsidiary’s expansion was cleared through a 2017 amendment to its pilot agreement that permits adding narrowbodies based on a formula linked to its mainline fleet size. It also permits rouge aircraft to replace regional feeder flying.

"Quote: Originally Posted by D404
Is Rouge cheaper than Jazz, though? (I honestly don't know here.)"

I don't know the number myself. Two DH8's vs. one A319. Can't be that much difference in cost.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jasdou
The same thing happened when YQB-YYZ was rouged. Capacity was maintained but frequency was slashed big time. I feel your pain.
The funny thing is that Westjet did the exact opposite thing a few years ago. They used to have a couple of B737 per day and now they have 4 or 5 Q400 per day with Encore...
A Rouge A319 is definitely better than a Q400 but, in term of schedule, it's bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.