Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
A Rouge A319 is definitely better than a Q400 but, in term of schedule, it's bad.
Only if you're up front or in an exit row. Otherwise it's arguably worse. More noise and vibration with the prop job, but 31 inch pitch on the Q400 vs 29 on rogue.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Only if you're up front or in an exit row. Otherwise it's arguably worse. More noise and vibration with the prop job, but 31 inch pitch on the Q400 vs 29 on rogue.
Yeah. And for such short feeder flights, I will take Q400 Y over Premium Rouge A319 every day of the week. Frequency and convenience is king for short feeders.
Symmetre and jasdou like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by acysb87
Just back from BGI. Have a really good tale to tell about January 31st AC1714 flight that was,then about 6pm that day ,was not.
BTW what is the amazing story
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was on AC flight Las Vegas to Edmonton on Friday. Flight scheduled ACr.
The menus ,meals and napkins were ACr ,staff mainline.
More of an FYI
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
AC1944 Saturday Feb 23

WOW, I remember now why I do not fly Rouge!

Not really going to describe the trip, just wow! Now I have to get back!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Was on AC flight Las Vegas to Edmonton on Friday. Flight scheduled ACr.
The menus ,meals and napkins were ACr ,staff mainline.
More of an FYI
Was it a mainline or rouge plane? If a last minute swap to mainline, makes sense that the catering has rouge logos in it. Cosmetic difference only.
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mainline aircraft.
Las Vegas McCarran was a mess last Thursday. I got to see measurable snowfall at LAS from Amex Lounge (1st time since records kept back to 1937)
Staff at LAS are contracted . There were significant cancellations . I was on a latitude pass and by the time I got
rebooked and home it was Sunday afternoon and involved 4 more cancellations, two route changes, 3 unintended
overnights including one at Edmonton(I like that airport, been a while) and eventually a one way car rental to YSB once I got to YYZ.
My 2nd such event this year, other was to BGI.
AC concierge service was very sympathetic and SE desk tried hard to get things done. I cannot imagine what others went through.
You roll with the punches. I met some fascinating people ,got to know an AC FA that worked the flight to Edmonton Friday and was Deadheading
back next day with me to YYZ. I offered up my pancakes for the omelette.
This winter has been the worst for my travels. I "normally" get 1-2 forced overnights a year. I am at 5 already.Have collected "a few " discount codes and credits

Next weekend I transit ORD. Lets see what comes next
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Mainline aircraft.
Las Vegas McCarran was a mess last Thursday. I got to see measurable snowfall at LAS from Amex Lounge (1st time since records kept back to 1937)
Staff at LAS are contracted . There were significant cancellations . I was on a latitude pass and by the time I got
rebooked and home it was Sunday afternoon and involved 4 more cancellations, two route changes, 3 unintended
overnights including one at Edmonton(I like that airport, been a while) and eventually a one way car rental to YSB once I got to YYZ.
My 2nd such event this year, other was to BGI.
AC concierge service was very sympathetic and SE desk tried hard to get things done. I cannot imagine what others went through.
You roll with the punches. I met some fascinating people ,got to know an AC FA that worked the flight to Edmonton Friday and was Deadheading
back next day with me to YYZ. I offered up my pancakes for the omelette.
This winter has been the worst for my travels. I "normally" get 1-2 forced overnights a year. I am at 5 already.Have collected "a few " discount codes and credits

Next weekend I transit ORD. Lets see what comes next
I wonder if we were on the same flight Friday. The LAS-YEG ACr flight (1863) was cancelled two nights in a row (wed and thu), so they sent a main line A319 on Friday to make two rescue trips back and forth to YEG. We were on the later flight (AC2067). It was a nice change, I still like the old J seats on the mainline A319. And we had a great mainline crew.

But LAS was an absolute mess, and AC seemed to be worse off than a lot of other airlines that managed to get their flights out. I know there were cancellations and severe delays on YYC, YUL and YYZ too.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The disease spreads (from airlineroute)

Montreal – St. John’s NFLD eff 05JUN19 2 daily A319
Toronto – Fredericton eff 01JUN19 2 daily A319
Toronto – Moncton eff 01MAY19 3 daily A319
Toronto – Thunder Bay eff 01MAY19 3 daily A319
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The disease spreads (from airlineroute)

Montreal – St. John’s NFLD eff 05JUN19 2 daily A319
Toronto – Fredericton eff 01JUN19 2 daily A319
Toronto – Moncton eff 01MAY19 3 daily A319
Toronto – Thunder Bay eff 01MAY19 3 daily A319
Several FTers had suggested, more than five years ago, that eventually domestic non-premium routes will all be Rouged.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by YYT82
Several FTers had suggested, more than five years ago, that eventually domestic non-premium routes will all be Rouged.
I wonder what's to become of AC Express at this rate... will it only serve routes that are like 100-300 miles in the future, at this rate? (Well, and YTZ.)

I wonder when AC will stop marketing Rouge as a "leisure" airline for "vacations".
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I originally imagined rouge would last a year or two then vanish, like Zip and Tango before it. To my horror that wasn't the case, as Calin and crew came to like what it did for their bonuses. What concerns me now is that rouge will ultimately wind up replacing mainline altogether on all routes.

Don't laugh - it wasn't that long ago that we were all told it would only be used for holiday routes, and never for mainline domestic service. Now look.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

I posted that comment a few years ago.

My view was that all North American routes would eventually be rouged - except the PLH routes - was based on the increasing number of routes that were rouged even back then, the increase to the rouge fleet, and comments from some employees (who I am sure some here will dismiss).

Here we are in Feb 2019. There has been an update/revision to the pilot contract, there have been some new aircraft purchases for rouge, there are more routes that now have rouge flights or are only rouge.

To be clear: As I wrote back then, I had and have no issue with the strategic launch and deployment of rouge. I only had an issue with the tactical execution (as we call it in my business). It didn't help that our first rouge trip in Dec 2013 was an absolute disaster in terms of crew, pax, ground services at destination, and the free back massage courtesy of the poor guy sitting behind with nowhere to put his legs except for the back of our seats. I also determined that I would much prefer to fly DL via ATL than ever do this again.

I will add that of the 6 rouge flights on the YQB-YYZ routes that I flew last year, I noted improvement in the experience in terms of some of the rouge cabin crew and service.

Rouge serves a purpose for AC and no doubt they are making buckets of bucks because of the profit versus cost differential. But we still have other choices.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
I originally imagined rouge would last a year or two then vanish, like Zip and Tango before it. To my horror that wasn't the case, as Calin and crew came to like what it did for their bonuses. What concerns me now is that rouge will ultimately wind up replacing mainline altogether on all routes..

Don't laugh - it wasn't that long ago that we were all told it would only be used for holiday routes, and never for mainline domestic service. Now look.
Well, truth be told, mainline widebodies (except A333 and B763) have already been Rouge-configured once you walk past the J cabin.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:54 pm

I originally imagined rouge would last a year or two then vanish, like Zip and Tango before it. To my horror that wasn't the case, as Calin and crew came to like what it did for their bonuses. What concerns me now is that rouge will ultimately wind up replacing mainline altogether on all routes.

Not laughing -- I've seen that coming for a while, and I am unhappy because (mainline) AC was my favourite North American based airline. No longer, and I'm looking for all sorts of ways to avoid it now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.