Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Global guy
For years AC made a point of telling us that they-'for their own reasons' had one of the lowest access to *G at 35k and the only one in NA to do so
As others have said over and over again, this argument would water if AC paid out 100% status miles on Tango fares. They don't, so it doesn't.

Flying SEA -> NYC on a base fare on United earns 100% status.

Flying YVR -> YYZ on a base fare on AC doesn't.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by yvr76
I posted on twitter and they responded that it will work the same way as in the past, along with threshold e-credits. I did the math and a new flyer going to SE for the first time will get 195 credits going to 35k, 50k, 75k and 100k along the way (not including the 73 threshold credits).

As nice as this is for first time elites, it puts ACs regular flyers at a disadvantage and I think needs to be thought through a bit more carefully.
Wow that's kind of crazy, and as someone that's on track for SE this year, it doesn't thrill me. Perhaps they will tweak it, but in any event I acknowledge it is difficult to design a program that makes every single user happy.

I can't believe some of the comments on here. To the person that lives in London and normally does 80k but only did 40k this year due to a temporary personal circumstance (that has nothing to do with AC), this could be a huge windfall if this instant status bump holds up. And if you get to 50k by mid year, you'll only be *S from Mar-Jun. Big deal!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:04 am

Angry Elite Aeroplan Status changes for 2013

WOW! Is Air Canada for real?!? First they take on their employees in disastrous labour relations...making them even angrier than before. Now they're taking on their frequent fliers! Does Air Canada not know about the saying, DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!! I've been an Elite member for almost a decade and these changes have ensured that I've gone from choosing Air Canada to avoiding Air Canada.

It's pretty simple, there are many more options now for domestic Canadian travel...Porter = awesome! WestJet = fun! Air Canada = last resort...only if other options aren't available! And there are a multitude of options for international travel.

And changing the program in the middle of the benefit year is dishonest. It's akin to breach of contract...I've chosen Air Canada for flights this year on the promise of Elite benefits for 2013. Changing the program = breaking their promise...it's that simple!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by MaxYYZ
WOW! Is Air Canada for real?!? Changing the program = breaking their promise...it's that simple!
Unfortunately, they can and will do that at will. There can be more scamcharges or fees added tomorrow all of a sudden. That's AC/AE.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:12 am
alc

First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk.

But as many had already said, this was well communicated and the requirement for 2013 was posted since Dec 2011. Hence it should be no surprise to you.

Here is the thread from last year and it was posted on the Air Canada web page since Dec 2011 as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...r-program.html

You can follow the dicussion now on the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-altitude.html
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
And changing the program in the middle of the benefit year is dishonest. It's akin to breach of contract...I've chosen Air Canada for flights this year on the promise of Elite benefits for 2013. Changing the program = breaking their promise...it's that simple!
I understand your frustration, but keep in mind that the vast majority of these changes were announced in early 2012. I don't remember the date exactly, but look it up -- there's a thread here that was started when the original announcement was made.

As for breach of contract -- these changes apply to the 2013 benefit year. We're currently in the 2012 benefit year. Where's the broken promise?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
WestJet = fun!
To each their own. I can't stand WestJet, likely for the reasons you think it's fun. I have a different idea of fun.

And welcome to FT! Stay a while.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:40 am

As others have posted there is no issue, this news was for the most part old news AC posted it Dec 2011.

I assume you are in YYZ, so you have more choices

I suggest you look at all the programs and decide based on rewards offered. What is clear about AC moves is that 50K a year or more is new threshold for main perks of a frequent flyer program.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
On a UA itinerary, you would have no access on a purely domestic itinerary, as long as your itinerary includes (or you have a Intl/Canada same day boarding pass) anything same-day international (including Canada) - you have access to all lounges, even on a connecting domestic sector, arriving from Canada. Doesnt matter if you are Y or "F".
Ok i get that, although surprised (pleasantly) that they consider Canada international (i know it obviously is but it seems in the past it was treated as domestic when trying for lounge access with RCC)

I also know that F(J) on UA/US does not get lounge....which is weird.....but having *G earned with UA and or US at 50k EQM does not even get you in the lounge domestically?

Where i am confused is i thought *G got you into ANY * lounge...... and i am sure i have entered RCC and UA lounge with my *G status on US domestic flights???? I recall because i was in F/J but had to produce a *G card?

Just Lucky?

Last edited by bizorbetter; Sep 22, 2012 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by bizorbetter

Where i am confused is i thought *G got you into ANY * lounge...... and i am sure i have entered RCC and UA lounge with my *G status on US domestic flights???? I recall because i was in F/J but had to produce a *G card?

Just Lucky?
If you have a "foreign" Star Gold - ie. Air Canada, Aegean, Thai, etc., you can access any UA/US lounge - regardless of what class you are in.

If you have a US/UA Star Gold - you cannot access lounges in the USA if you have a purely domestic itinerary - regardless what class you are in. You need to have a same-day international connection (including Canada, and it doesnt have to be to/from the airport you are trying to gain access)

Can you imagine how crowded American lounges would be if every domestic Joe Consultant 50k+elite was allowed in?
And they wouldnt sell any memberships to those people either

Bottom line, if you fly from Canada to the USA - you have nothing to worry about when it comes to lounge access, and if you are a 50k-75k transborder flyer - Aeroplan is probably not for you.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:05 am

Aeroplan Prestige Question Top Tier 2013

Hi,

It looks like I will fall short by around 400 points of the Prestige 25K requirement. I have read that other people have fallen short of the requirement and have received the status anyway....can you give me some hope without having to fly someone for one day

Thanks

Alex
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:11 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The question is was it announced to all Aeroplan members or only those that follow FlyerTalk.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:14 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by xLuther
As others have posted there is no issue, this news was for the most part old news AC posted it Dec 2011.

I assume you are in YYZ, so you have more choices

I suggest you look at all the programs and decide based on rewards offered. What is clear about AC moves is that 50K a year or more is new threshold for main perks of a frequent flyer program.
He he... I remember a time not so long ago when some of us were predicting an increase from 35K to 50K and many others were saying it would never happen.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer

The question is was it announced to all Aeroplan members or only those that follow FlyerTalk.
Email on full program was sent to all Aeroplan members this week,( same day they posted it here) the on site information has been public for > 9 months

This is not a surprise,
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer

He he... I remember a time not so long ago when some of us were predicting an increase from 35K to 50K and many others were saying it would never happen.
I have wondered about the 35k threshold for years, way too easy to hit if you fly at all for work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.