Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Try YYC-SFO-LHR-BRU on UA and AMS-EWR-YUL-YYC on CO + AC.
YUL-YYC's YQ isn't that high.
I'm an idiot. I meant July 21/22
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just a quick note.

Booked YYZ-NRT-BKK-NRT-YYZ (just wanted easy and didn't want to take the chance this 'promo' would end) on Sunday Dec 3 afternoon. Showed unticketed when I went to bed. Email arrived 10 am this morning (Dec 4) to show ticketed.

Taxes were about $541. Not crazy about that but earlier this year I had signed up for the Amex AeroplanPlus Platinum Card w/50,000 bonus miles. Had some problems with getting the card due to the postal strike. After 5 cards, the end result was I had been credited some of the annual fee plus received an extra 30,000 miles. So I am happy to get a J seat for what amounts to less than $1000.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by dataflux
Long time FT observer. Wanted to thank everyone for the headsup to this promotion. Cashed in 160k for two business rewards to New Zealand in April 2012. Had to work around limited availability for travel to/from Auckland.

YOW-YUL - Economy, AC8976, DH3
YUL - YYZ - J, AC833, 763
YYZ - LAX - J, AC787, 320
Spending 24 hours in LA to visit friends
LAX - AKL (via RAR) - J, NZ19, 763
Spending 10 days in NZ
AKL - HNL - J, NZ10, 763
Spending 24 hours in HNL
HNL - ORD - J, UA200, 777
ORD - YUL - J, AC8652, CRA
YUL - YOW - Economy, AC8973, DH1

Taxes and surcharges on each ticket was ~$250, including booking fee.

Would prefer the non-circitous routing for the to/from Ottawa but there were no options. I believe that the LAX-AKL will be in an older NZ plane without layflat beds but have read that some travelers do not mind them. If we can find extra availability we'd like to extend the trip before the end of the current "promotion" by a couple of days but couldnt find any other options getting to/from AKL even by going through SYD.

As my first J class reward, any tips or suggestions on the flights (routings or aircraft?)

Thanks again. Im going to try not to lurk as much in the future.
landing so many times and using mostly AC and only $220 exluding booking fee ? How is that possible. I played booking within Canada 2 cities and total charges were in the order of $160 economy. Does J refers to executive / business class??
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Does J refers to executive / business class??
Yes, J is a generic term for business class. Y means economy, or as some here call it, whY?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
landing so many times and using mostly AC and only $220 exluding booking fee ? How is that possible. I played booking within Canada 2 cities and total charges were in the order of $160 economy. Does J refers to executive / business class??
Surcharges are generally not higher for premium classes - except some airport taxes where they don't like rich people / frequent fliers.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Yes, J is a generic term for business class. Y means economy, or as some here call it, whY?
^-- haha
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You should go JFK-NRT (NH) BKK (UA) BJS (CA) // SHA (SQ) SIN (SQ) EWR.
I've found train tickets within China to be cheap.
Something like this would work. Can you build in an open jaw AND stop overs?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Surcharges are generally not higher for premium classes - except some airport taxes where they don't like rich people / frequent fliers.

^-- haha
Some airlines do impose different levels of fuel surcharges for different class of service due to the real estate and weight it occupies...... But most is just a flat rate like you said
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I was forced to phone in to get something sorted out on my itinerary. ( I still obey that rule drummed into us about mistake fares....."Do NOT phone in" but judging from the other comments here about people phoning and actually get the reps to book this 'promo', I am not sure this is a true mistake anyway)

I asked about charges for changes (one of my legs is in Y) and she clearly stated that as long as there were NO flight or date changes there would be NO extra charges if I found award seats in J for that leg, even though I got the "promo", not sure if that contradicts what others have been told.

Despite the YQ scam charges this has been a great deal.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by DavidYYC
I was forced to phone in to get something sorted out on my itinerary. ( I still obey that rule drummed into us about mistake fares....."Do NOT phone in" but judging from the other comments here about people phoning and actually get the reps to book this 'promo', I am not sure this is a true mistake anyway)

I asked about charges for changes (one of my legs is in Y) and she clearly stated that as long as there were NO flight or date changes there would be NO extra charges if I found award seats in J for that leg, even though I got the "promo", not sure if that contradicts what others have been told.

Despite the YQ scam charges this has been a great deal.
That does not contradict, no - but the flight/date change one is the bummer.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC*E
I'm trying to build a routing starting from YYZ and including Europe, Australia and Japan, the first half YYZ-...-Europe-Australia is okay. but the returning part doesn't work, as NRT is included.

I saw a routing of SYD-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYZ operated by in its official website (SQ222 SYD-SIN, SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX, AC796 LAX-YYZ). is it possible to make the NRT a stopover in such a routing? Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeorplan E 75, Marriott Rewards Plat
Thumbs up Thank You

I had been planning to take my wife to SE Asia for her 40th in J next year but it was looking tight on points after a great trip last year. This thread made it possible. I get lots of great info from FT but this by far is the best bit of info so far. Thanks to the OP and everyone else who contributes. We do have a 14h layover in PEK and FT even has suggestions for that.

As a bonus I cross the E threshold this week which will make if five years in a row, which is five more than I would have had without finding this site.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ootacon
I'm trying to build a routing starting from YYZ and including Europe, Australia and Japan, the first half YYZ-...-Europe-Australia is okay. but the returning part doesn't work, as NRT is included.

I saw a routing of SYD-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYZ operated by in its official website (SQ222 SYD-SIN, SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX, AC796 LAX-YYZ). is it possible to make the NRT a stopover in such a routing? Thanks.
It should be doable (assuming you don't overuse the stops/open jaws elsewhere in the routing).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by yyjregular
I had been planning to take my wife to SE Asia for her 40th in J next year but it was looking tight on points after a great trip last year. This thread made it possible. I get lots of great info from FT but this by far is the best bit of info so far. Thanks to the OP and everyone else who contributes. We do have a 14h layover in PEK and FT even has suggestions for that.

As a bonus I cross the E threshold this week which will make if five years in a row, which is five more than I would have had without finding this site.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.
^ awesome - glad you were able to benefit from this, and indeed - thanks to the OP for raising awareness to this
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just booked for Sept/Oct:

YYZ-YUL (AC J)
YUL-ZRH (LX F)
ZRH-BKK (TG F)
BKK-SIN (TG J) POT
SIN-BKK (TG J) Stop
BKK-PVG (TG J)
PVG-LAX (UA F)
LAX-ORD (UA F)
ORD-YYZ (UA F)

taxes $584.36 + booking fee.

Since I just completed a similar RTW trip, I am planning on going to KUL while in SIN and Laos/Myanmar while in BKK.

Thanks to jlisi for his help with MPM! And thanks to OP for the heads up!

BTW, while on the phone with AE agent, I heard her ask one of her colleagues in the background "We only charge business class points for first class tickets right now?". So I don't know if this is really an IT glitch. Sure sounds like she had to manually enter the 125K mile deduction.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by ootacon

i think its a SQ published routing.... if they question you, let them know

i tried doing that with MEL and i was told by peers that I cannot go through NRT as I went through NZ....but your situation might be different

MPM wise it will sure exceed what is allowed, and they will most likely quote that against you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.