Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Changes to your Qualification Period

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to your Qualification Period

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
With option A, for the Tier Credits she has from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 - what will be the tally? If she is 100 TCs short of 1,051, she may well be bumped up to Concierge. Do you know the exact figure? If I know that, I can tell you if she will go up based on the recalculation, which may mean no chasing is needed.
Appreciate it. So 825 + 122.5 earned in the period since April 2023 = 947.5. She's short 103.5 to be exact.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:01 pm

Thank you very much for your question, Flight Detective. I actually do have enough to regain Silver status by by April 1. But that's not the point. No AerClub member should be bamboozled by a change in rules *after purchase.* AerClub may say "Love," but the action of disrespecting member planning, scheduling, and trust speaks louder. It's one thing for an individual AerClub member to be privileged. It's another thing to think of membership as a group, with consideration of all. That's how AerClub should be thinking. But AerClub doesn't even engage in the interpersonal transaction which is perhaps most valuable: clear communication, transparency, responsivity and respect.

But now everyone's calculating according to the Qualification Period sprung on members today! Rather than the Qualification Period they actually used to plan trips and build their account! We should at least expect AerClub to honor their own rules as advertised and known to members at the time of purchasing!

Last edited by l etoile; Mar 2, 2024 at 5:17 am
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by firestarter197
Appreciate it. So 825 + 122.5 earned in the period since April 2023 = 947.5. She's short 103.5 to be exact.
Good news!

This member will be moved up to Concierge based on the recalculation, if the tally from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 is 947.5.

Originally Posted by huruburu
Thank you very much for your question, Flight Detective. I will have 265 by April 1, counting two regional flights as yet not credited. Two flights already paid for on April 27 and May 13 would supply another 90, bringing me well over the threshold to return to Silver according to the Qualification Period I was working with. Ending my Qualification Period on March 31, 2024 cuts off that opportunity. I would have scheduled differently, and opted not to take a reward flight, *if I had known that the Qualification Period* was due to be changed. There should be transparency, clear communication, and professionalism. Yes, that sounds utopian. But AerClub actually uses the word "Love."
If your tally is 265 for 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024, you'll need just a few more Tier Credits to get over the line for Silver - one Saver fare flight earning 7.5 Tier Credits will do it.
firestarter197 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:21 am

Thanks for your message, Flight Detective. May I ask how you access this information when AerClub hasn't informed members accordingly? The central point is that it is a breach of trust: for members to purchase flights according to a published and advertised set of rules and for those tier credits to then be rendered useless. If I purchase one more unneeded flight as you suggest, what grounds have I for trusting that that will make a difference? AerClub is completely absent in this discussion and is the bureaucracy making these decisions.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I will be 151 TPs short at the end of March on a new Aer Club account started in September 2023. I would have hit 1051+ in April. Is there anything I can do to get concierge?
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:34 am

Good news!

This member will be moved up to Concierge based on the recalculation, if the tally from 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 is 947.5.

If your tally is 265 for 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024, you'll need just a few more Tier Credits to get over the line for Silver - one Saver fare flight earning 7.5 Tier Credits will do it.
I don’t understand how this works? Are they bumping people up to the next tier when they are short of just few TPs? Am currently silver & believe my tally for 1 April 2023 to 31 March 2024 will be 462.5 or 470 (it’s unclear if one of the flights earned 7.5 or 15) if I don’t take any flights between now and 31 March. It might be possible to do a day trip to Dublin to pick up 50/75. How many TPs should I be aiming for to reach platinum? It’s kind of important to reach plat before sept 2024 so I can get lounge access for a companion on a trip already booked
Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by huruburu
Thanks for your message, Flight Detective. May I ask how you access this information when AerClub hasn't informed members accordingly? The central point is that it is a breach of trust: for members to purchase flights according to a published and advertised set of rules and for those tier credits to then be rendered useless. If I purchase one more unneeded flight as you suggest, what grounds have I for trusting that that will make a difference? AerClub is completely absent in this discussion and is the bureaucracy making these decisions.
You're welcome.

As you can see, I'm trying to be helpful and you're welcome to take my advice or not, as you wish.

I've taken unneeded flights to maintain my BA status before. I specifically remember a Gatwick to Varna return in Club Europe, including an overnight, just to maintain Silver at one point. Obviously it was worth it because I wanted to keep my status. It all depends on your own personal situation as to what is right for you.

Originally Posted by limbosongs
I will be 151 TPs short at the end of March on a new Aer Club account started in September 2023. I would have hit 1051+ in April. Is there anything I can do to get concierge?
Are you saying you'll have 900 TPs at 31 March? Is that the exact figure, or? If it is, you're going to need some more in March.
Teplane likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Are you saying you'll have 900 TPs at 31 March? Is that the exact figure, or? If it is, you're going to need some more in March.
Yeah 900 exactly. That will be me gone as a customer. Crazy.
Teplane likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
This is short notice change that damage loyal customers with planned flights this year. Reviewing any Tier Credits earned between 1st April 2023 and 31st March 2024 does not help if someone have planned flights and is building up tier points.
BA is doing a similar change but in much more flexible way that takes into consideration a one year transition into the future.
Teplane, mailliW and gjc31 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:51 am

Although the approach of British Airways has been criticized here, a one year transition is much more mindful and respectful to membership. The notion that AerClub "loves" its member is laughable. Consideration and professionalism would be more appropriate. And the discussion has got me thinking. Membership of a frequent flyer club is a privilege and is very much about privilege. Our discussion reflects that. But, at least in its projected image, AerClub is not intended to be purely about individual privilege. It's also a club. Members do come together to compare notes and talk things through. I think that has value. The hypocrisy of AerClub's "Love" sign-off still rankles. These people don't even respond to emails, let alone "Love."
MP001, alserire, Teplane and 1 others like this.

Last edited by huruburu; Mar 4, 2024 at 5:25 am
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:29 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
I think the value of AerClub depends on where you are and what your travel pattern is.

For me down here in Cork the choices usually are Aer Lingus or RyanAir especially during the winter season where Lufthansa/Swiss/Air France are not even flying.

On my main route to AMS KLM is severely more expensive (sometimes it's possible to get a better fare by booking to Brussels or Rotterdam and discard the train journey part) than Aer Lingus.

On my London flights, Aer Lingus also mostly beats Ryan Air (giving that their airports locations in "London").

So, the only reason I am a member of Aer Club is the lounge access, which is a 30€ value each time even for the rather bad airport lounge, it beats sitting at the gates and how I can collect massive number of points via the shopping portal which gives me enough free flights to justify occasional to pay a € more for a flight.

I am lucky with this change; I'm getting 9 more months of my current status but I'm sure there will be further alignments with IAG and soon it's revenue-based points collection rather than the fixed values.

I'm sort of forced to use Aer Lingus (unless I want to drive to Dublin for choice) so I'm happy with the extras that AerClub brings me.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:14 am

I'm sorry I have re-read the forum multiple times and I am still confused.

Currently down to silver this year, my tier credits expire on March 31 and I'm on 127.5 tier credits - am I also a 'winner' and getting silver for another year?

Am I also keeping these 127.5 tier credits?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
In your case you expire on March 31 you are already in sync with the new dates, so you lose all 127.5 and revert to green. This would happen regardless of the change EI are now doing

If your expiry was April 30th you would have been extended to April 2025
alserire likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ROKNA
In your case you expire on March 31 you are already in sync with the new dates, so you lose all 127.5 and revert to green. This would happen regardless of the change EI are now doing

If your expiry was April 30th you would have been extended to April 2025
Thanks! I thought the way it was worded meant I was keeping my status as my email was worded slightly different to a family member who is green.

Green Member:
Standardised Qualification Period:
As part of this, all AerClub members will now have the same Qualification Period. Your new Qualification Period start date is 1st April 2024. You'll be able to see this change in your account after 10th April 2024. That means every year your Qualification Period begins anew, and your Tier Credits will reset to zero on the 1st of April.

Green Member (Family Member):
Tier Credits Review:
As part of this change, we are reviewing any Tier Credits earned between 1st April 2023 and 31st March 2024. Based on this review any applicable Tier status upgrade will be applied to your account after 10th April 2024. That means you still have time to earn Tier Credits and unlock travel benefits! To learn more about this change, check out our FAQs using the link below.

Silver Member (Me):
Tier Status and Tier Benefits Extension:
The good news is that your current Tier status and any remaining applicable Tier benefits will be protected and extended until 31st March 2025. If your current Tier status already exceeds 31st March 2025, it will be extended to 31st March 2026.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:56 am

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
“Aer Lingus value their Concierge customers greatly, so the intent certainly would not be to put anyone's nose out of joint“

I had to laugh when I read the above post. As a top tier Gold Circle/Concierge member since about 2008, in the last month I tried to use 2 of my 4 upgrades and they turned me down for travel in July and August to MCO.

As regards the announced changes, they should have announced it well before now. My anniversary date was 1 June 2024 and I had already re qualified by Dec 2023. On that basis I’ve given LH my business for April and May and I would never have done that had I known that points would be reset to zero in April. I book my flights about 6 months out so my travel is already booked to Sept 2024. I pay for my own flights.
alserire and Teplane like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.