Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
To prevent thread drift and separation, this is a consolidated thread to document all A3 actions/issues/solutions etc related to the COVID-19 virus. Several previously raised threads have been consolidated into this one. Others where the information and/or advice is now outdated because of the speed at which events move have been closed.

Please use this thread to document actions related to A3 only. General COVID-19 discussions should be made in the dedicated FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel-773/

This is your wiki, so please feel free to populate it with useful information as it emerges and evolves.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus COVID-19 - Aegean policies, responses, help & advice ["noise free"]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Now with the second lockdown a new policy is available as of November 6:

If these new travel restrictions do not allow you to travel or if you do not wish to travel, now you can:

• Change your ticket online at no extra cost, for whenever you want with:

- no rebooking fees
- zero fare difference

• Convert your ticket into an open ticket, for 1 year from the date of your booking.

The above options are valid for all tickets issued up until 06/11/2020 and travel date between 06/11/2020 - 15/12/2020. Ticket changes can be made maximum three hours before your scheduled flight.
Quite generous with the free changes without fare difference. A new option is to convert the ticket into an open ticket. Does anyone have any more details on that? Does it allow to basically keep the ticket on stand-by and use it -without fare difference- for any future flight? (even last minute possibly!)

They are not very clear on the details. Does that mean without fare difference when using such 'open' ticket? Would it apply to upgraded tickets?
Arrivals likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Now with the second lockdown a new policy is available as of November 6:

Quite generous with the free changes without fare difference. A new option is to convert the ticket into an open ticket. Does anyone have any more details on that? Does it allow to basically keep the ticket on stand-by and use it -without fare difference- for any future flight? (even last minute possibly!)

They are not very clear on the details. Does that mean without fare difference when using such 'open' ticket? Would it apply to upgraded tickets?
I'm mildly annoyed as they only brought out this new policy 24hrs after they cancelled my domestic flights a few days ago. I requested refunds for all four as I bought them in the half price sale and didn't want to pay 100 Euro extra just to re-book to some random day in the future when I may or may not have travelled. If I'd waited 24hrs before cancelling I could have taken advantage of this and chosen the most expensive days available to protect myself against future fare rises until I settled on a date. Ah well...
Old Nov 14, 2020, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I'm mildly annoyed as they only brought out this new policy 24hrs after they cancelled my domestic flights a few days ago. I requested refunds for all four as I bought them in the half price sale and didn't want to pay 100 Euro extra just to re-book to some random day in the future when I may or may not have travelled. If I'd waited 24hrs before cancelling I could have taken advantage of this and chosen the most expensive days available to protect myself against future fare rises until I settled on a date. Ah well...
Perhaps you can feel somewhat relieved of this nuisance. You mention you'd have secured an expensive fare to protect against future fare raises, aiming to re-book again in the future for free, which in fact would not have been possible, as it will be only the base fare of the original booking that will apply in future re-bookings (unless, of course, new cancellations force the airline to offer this again). I did this a few months ago and got a P ticket re-booked in a Y fare (!), but after checking the status of my booking again at a later point in time, even though re-booking fees were/are indeed waived for future re-bookings, the fare difference (after the window to use that promotion had ended, which should now be the 15/12/2020) wasn't, so even a change in a T fare resulted in a surcharge (of course I ended up flying that Y fare and even got the miles for it, which was my plan all along, but I was curious to see how the system worked). Again, my advice to everyone: Don't book something you're not absolutely sure, at the moment of booking, that you will actually fly, if you are not fully aware of what the conditions for changing or re-funding that ticket will be.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by giorginho
Perhaps you can feel somewhat relieved of this nuisance. You mention you'd have secured an expensive fare to protect against future fare raises, aiming to re-book again in the future for free, which in fact would not have been possible, as it will be only the base fare of the original booking that will apply in future re-bookings (unless, of course, new cancellations force the airline to offer this again). I did this a few months ago and got a P ticket re-booked in a Y fare (!), but after checking the status of my booking again at a later point in time, even though re-booking fees were/are indeed waived for future re-bookings, the fare difference (after the window to use that promotion had ended, which should now be the 15/12/2020) wasn't, so even a change in a T fare resulted in a surcharge (of course I ended up flying that Y fare and even got the miles for it, which was my plan all along, but I was curious to see how the system worked). Again, my advice to everyone: Don't book something you're not absolutely sure, at the moment of booking, that you will actually fly, if you are not fully aware of what the conditions for changing or re-funding that ticket will be.
Ah right, thanks. I didn't realise it worked like that. The thing is, my original booking was in K class and even re-bookings into U,T and E were more expensive because of the half price sale I'd taken advantage of. So I thought that at least if I re-booked into another K fare (which would have been +100 Euro) then I'd be able to select a K or lower later, for no further charge. In any case, it's all moot now.

Let's see how long the refund takes. I just got money land into my bank account on Friday for a refund I submitted via the online form on 6th October. That's not too bad, really.
giorginho likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:32 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
If you book a promo fare round trip and fly the outbound as your bought it, you are theoretically allowed to change the inbound flight at historical promo fare levels if the new flight is part of the promo flying period. Not sure if it works online, so perhaps 20 EUR call centre fee, and perhaps it does not even work "because the computer says so".
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:37 am

Programs: A3*G
I called recently, because I am affected by cancellations. I asked about the open ticket. The call center agent informed me, after speaking to her supervisor, that I can use the open ticket for a flight in the future, within one year of booking date for any flight (can even change the airport) within the same booking class (in this case business, I don't mean A, Z, D etc.) with no fare difference or other fees. I asked if I could use the flight in the summer and she said yes. That's way better than a voucher. She even offered a refund (or voucher), but since I will fly within the next year.. I just need to keep the booking code and she made a note so in a future call, the next agent can read it and won't ask for any fees/fare difference. Quite generous and a good solution in my eyes. I probably won't wait until summer to make use of it.
giorginho likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Let's see how long the refund takes. I just got money land into my bank account on Friday for a refund I submitted via the online form on 6th October. That's not too bad, really.
That is much faster than what has been reported previously. I'd been taking vouchers but at some point decided to switch to asking for a refund instead - I figured that when everyones vouchers expire in a year or so, they are going to be in a tough spot financially. Better to request a refund now. Chances are that I'll spend it on Aegean tickets again anyway, but, it gives a little more flexibility this way. Assuming they will refund, my request of mid-October has not yet been refunded.
Originally Posted by Arrivals
I called recently, because I am affected by cancellations. I asked about the open ticket. The call center agent informed me, after speaking to her supervisor, that I can use the open ticket for a flight in the future, within one year of booking date for any flight (can even change the airport) within the same booking class (in this case business, I don't mean A, Z, D etc.) with no fare difference or other fees. I asked if I could use the flight in the summer and she said yes. That's way better than a voucher. She even offered a refund (or voucher), but since I will fly within the next year.. I just need to keep the booking code and she made a note so in a future call, the next agent can read it and won't ask for any fees/fare difference. Quite generous and a good solution in my eyes. I probably won't wait until summer to make use of it.
That's pretty good. It sounds like they will keep your old PNR available/open. This also means that, probably, you can keep an upgrade voucher that was applied previously attached to the booking which is nice. Now to decide what to do; Ask for a refund/voucher for my November flights and being able to re-book at much lower fares next year, or, keep the higher fare original bookings and keep them as an open ticket..
Arrivals likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: A3*G
That's pretty good. It sounds like they will keep your old PNR available/open. This also means that, probably, you can keep an upgrade voucher that was applied previously attached to the booking which is nice. Now to decide what to do; Ask for a refund/voucher for my November flights and being able to re-book at much lower fares next year, or, keep the higher fare original bookings and keep them as an open ticket..
It was an original business-class ticket but at a summer economy flight price. So it was no-brainer for me, since with the value of the voucher I would probably have to book an eco ticket in the future or pay much more and I can't plan right now with even more restrictions ahead. I could have waited for a refund but already A3 owes me money, I am waiting for more than a year.. The open ticket seems like a good solution, if you plan to fly anyway and bought at a low or fair price. Of course, we will see whether A3 actually does what they promised, since the conditions are not written anywhere.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 8:45 am

That is much faster than what has been reported previously. I'd been taking vouchers but at some point decided to switch to asking for a refund instead - I figured that when everyones vouchers expire in a year or so, they are going to be in a tough spot financially. Better to request a refund now.
Wait a minute! I was/am pretty sure, that the vouchers "convert" to a refund if the 12/18 months go by and you haven't used them! The "illegal" Greek law they introduced in the first stages of the pandemic was addressing this. You may have to ask for this "conversion", but you should be able to get it.
Anyway, yeah, 1 month wait for a refund nowadays ist still quite good. I'm still waiting for those early April Latam and Air Europa Tickets to get refunded (so far gotten 2 out of 6 refunds) and I hear Lufthansa still owes 400.000 refunds from the early days!
​​
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:27 am

,,I figured that when everyones vouchers expire in a year or so, they are going to be in a tough spot financially. Better to request a refund now." Refund you will take also only after a year....
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:30 am

,, I hear Lufthansa still owes 400.000 refunds from the early days!" All the other airlines aswell...is not only Aegean.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by powergean
,, I hear Lufthansa still owes 400.000 refunds from the early days!" All the other airlines aswell...is not only Aegean.
Do you really think repeating hearsay is helpful? Please provide some evidence for this rumour about Lufthansa! Settling all the early claims for compensation was actually one of the conditions that the German government placed on their bailout of the LH Group. In my case, all outstanding refunds due from LH were paid long ago.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:28 pm

Not my post. Dont you see the ,, xxxxx" ?
,,German government placed on their bailout of the LH Group. In my case, all outstanding refunds due from LH were paid long ago."

I think Aegean dosent want government bailout..

Last edited by powergean; Nov 16, 2020 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Yes, Powergean, the original statement about 400,000 refunds being owed by LH from the early days was not yours. But you repeated this hearsay as if it were fact to justify your belief that 'all the other airlines' are behaving as badly as Aegean. Let me ask you again: do you think repeating hearsay is helpful? If you want to make a point, why not present some real evidence?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 3:40 pm

No hearsay , i have friends, having the same problem with Lufthansa, Ryanair, Wizzair, Lot........i sade is not only Aegean.Lets hope, they all will survive, and we can travel after covid..
giorginho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.