Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:56 am

Arrivals thank you, I can confirm that I called today and spoke to what seemed like a quite competent agent about 2 upgrades (which cleared right away) and I did get confirmation that indeed this change has occured and now only S and "above" fares (exluding all "light" fares of course) can be upgraded using miles (as opposed to upgrades with vouchers, that still have the aforementioned requirements like they did before).
Arrivals likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Hi,

Im going to hit silver hopefully this summer with 6 segments on A3. I understand that miles that go beyond 12k go towards Gold. Does segments as well? or does it reset to zero if for example you hit your 12k at the 6th segment?

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by KL808
Hi,

Im going to hit silver hopefully this summer with 6 segments on A3. I understand that miles that go beyond 12k go towards Gold. Does segments as well? or does it reset to zero if for example you hit your 12k at the 6th segment?

Thanks
If I understand correctly, it resets (both). In fact, your A3 FF account's anniversary date is reset whenever you achieve a new status level. In other words, it goes like this:
  • You start a regular (Blue) member.
  • Silver
    • Now, two parallel counters are running for the next tier (Silver): one for A3/OA operated segments, and one for accrued tier miles. You have a year to make this goal.
    • The moment you reach, (1) four two segments AND 12k tier miles, OR (2) 24k tier miles, you are moved to Silver (which might take a few days for the system to reflect), an anniversary date is entered into your account, and your counters for both attributes reset. (Apparently there may be possible spillover with the tier miles; idk and ymmv.)
  • Gold
    • Again, two parallel counters are running for the next tier (Gold): same as before, one for segments, one for tier miles. And again, you have a year to make this goal.
    • The moment you reach, (1) four segments AND 24k tier miles, OR (2) 48k tier miles, you are moved to Gold, and an anniversary date is again entered into your account. (There is no spillover of segments, nor tier miles. If you earn extra of either, it does not assist in the following qualifying year until after your anniversary date.
  • Retaining
    • Retaining Silver requires, (1) two segments AND 8k tier miles, OR (2) 16k tier miles.
    • Retaining Gold requires, (1) four segments AND 12k tier miles, OR (2) 24k tier miles.
  • Here's an example (assuming no spillover of tier miles). Let's say for an entire year, you have one A3 segment on the first of every month that earns 3k tier miles, and a partner (e.g. LH) segment on the 15th of each month that earns 2k tier miles. Let's begin this hypothetical example on Jan 1st.
    • After Jan 1st, you have one segment, and 3k tier miles from your A3 flight. (You're a Blue member.)
    • After Jan 15th, you have one segment, and 5k tier miles from your LH flight. (Blue)
    • After Feb 1st, you have two segments, and 8k tier miles. (Blue)
    • After Feb 15th, you have two segments, and 10k tier miles. (Blue)
    • After Mar 1st, you have three segments, and 13k tier miles. You're now a Silver member, because you now have at least two segments, and beyond the necessary 12k tier miles. The counters for both attributes reset. You now have zero segments and 0k tier miles for Gold. Your anniversary date is now Mar 1st, and you have a year to make it to Gold, retain Silver, or drop to Blue.
    • After Mar 15th, you have zero segments, and 2k tier miles. (You're a Silver member.)
    • After Apr 1st, you have one segment, and 5k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After Apr 15th, you have one segment, and 7k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After May 1st, you have two segments, and 10k tier miles. (Silver) You have retained Silver for the following year in addition to your existing Silver status.
    • After May 15th, you have two segments, and 12k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After Jun 1st, you have three segments, and 15k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After Jun 15th, you have three segments, and 17k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After Jul 1st, you have four segments, and 20k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After Jul 15th, you have four segments, and 22k tier miles. (Silver)
    • After Aug 1st, you have five segments, and 25k tier miles. You're now a Gold member, because you now have at least four segments, and beyond the necessary 24k tier miles. The counters for both attributes continue, but any additional credited flights will not make a difference. Your anniversary date is now Aug 1st, and you have a year to retain Gold, or drop to Silver.
    • [...]
    • On Aug 1st the following year, the counters for both attributes reset to zero. Begin earning again, if so interested.
If I've made a mistake, feel free to suggest a correction.

Hope this helps some people.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Mar 9, 2021 at 4:47 am Reason: Clarity, and an error.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:06 pm

futuramadramallama when I made silver in October all the miles past the 12K mark that I had gathered from that last flight that earned me silver got "transferred" and count towards the gold qualification. Before that flight I was still under the 12K mark though, so I don't know how the system "behaves" if you for example only have 1 segment with Aegean or Olympic and are already above the 12K mark by having credited other *A flights (I would assume that some, but perhaps not all miles between 12K and whatever it is you have under 24K would still count, maybe just those from that last Aegean flight? In your example after March 1st you'd be silver and probably have 1K miles counting towards gold). By the way that's where you made your other mistake, for silver you only need to have 2 segments and 12K not 4 segments. But yeah, to answer the original question from KL808, segments are definitely reset no matter how many they were before qualifying! I had at least 4 before qualifying for silver and afterwards it showed 0.
KL808 and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Thanks guy for the info. logging in to my account looks like I only need 9K tier miles plus 2 segments to hit Silver, so this will work out for me.

The next 4 segments will be banked and ill just need 24K (maybe 18K since I think they running a promo of some sort) to hit Gold
Old Mar 9, 2021, 12:15 pm

If you already qualify for silver with your 2nd Aegean flight, then you will most likely only need an additional 18K miles to reach gold. This is (like I mentioned elsewhere) exactly what my account looks like (after reaching silver at 9K), so since yours is also showing only 9K required for silver it should also be 18K for gold.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 3:40 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Sorry for the basic question, but does anybody know when Aegean tends to release the following season's schedule? I rarely book far in advance, so never really paid attention before, but I need to be in Greece in November and Aegean's schedule currently goes until October.
Resolution likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Flying to JMK May 14th 2021

OT
Hello fellow A3 flyers!
I have booked flight for next week TLV-ATH-JMK-ATH-TLV since we are vaccinated so have no issue flying.
How is Mykonos? Is everything completely closed? Are any restaurants open?

Thank you.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I will basically be doing a day trip to RHO on my way to ATH from JTR. I will fly JTR-ATH-RHO morning, then RHO-ATH in the evening. I am unable to book the two on the same ticket so they will be separate. When checking in at JTR, can I check a bag thru to the RHO-ATH flight so they hold on to my bag all day for me?

Alternatively, does RHO have luggage storage facilities? This is probably preferred so I can store my cabin bag. Their website seems to indicate that they do, yet searching various forums seems to indicate there is not (even in fairly recent posts)
Old May 25, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
I booked a trip on Aegean for September and put my United MP number in. Will I be able to track this flight / see it through United.com and the United app or do I need to use Aegean.com? I like to keep things consolidated if I can.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:28 am

This being an A3 flight booked on the A3 site, it's absolutely normal that you'll be able to track it / see it through the A3 site/app. Whether United will allow you to do it on their site is up to them (I personnally doubt it); your United MP number will only direct your award/tier miles to be credited by the account you chose.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: A3*G
I am looking at an Aegean operated flight (International-Greece-domestic Greece). It is offered via M+B as both an Aegean award and the same flight as a star alliance award for a little less miles (about 1,000 miles difference). Are there any differences between an Aegean award and a star alliance award for an Aegean operated flight?
Old May 28, 2021, 7:16 pm

What kind of differences do you mean, other than the miles you have to pay?
Old May 29, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
I always wondered that, and wondered why the price is different. I guess things that could differ are the "fare-type" so it could affect checked baggage, seat selection etc.
Arrivals likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by KLouis
That's exactly my question. Is the only difference the number of miles?

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I always wondered that, and wondered why the price is different. I guess things that could differ are the "fare-type" so it could affect checked baggage, seat selection etc.
Well, I guess I will have to call them, before booking this award. I assume that cancellation conditions are the same. That would be of particular interest during these times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.