Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
Anyway, The 100 would be great, been a while since I've been on a -100. I think the last was an AC Jazz flight from YYC-YXE. At least it was the one with a full row in the back.

Any suggestions, though, what might be a better side for views? I think the AC side is going to work for us in-out of ATH, but JIK?
If you're really that fussy (like me!) then I'd say - it depends on the wind - for landing or takeoff direction and what you want to see. For example, flying into Paros with a north wind I like to sit on the left so I can see my house and the progress on the new airport on downwind. Flying the other way, I find the best view is from the right. It's just taste. Going to Ikaria you will probably see more of the other islands (Tinos, Mykonos) from the right hand side, but I've never been there so I'm not sure of the usual routing. The left side might give you a better approach view with a north wind (look at the map).

I think all flights to/from JIK -at least in the summer- are operated by DH4 (not DH1).
You're right! You learn something every day and I show my ignorance of my local geography - I just assumed it was a tiny island with a matching tiny runway!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Definitely, yes! You can get past the other person without disturbing them. It seems to vary a little between aircraft but there is usually even more legroom on the left hand side in my experience. I'd estimate there's about 60cm between my knees (6ft male) and the bulkhead in 1F and 80cm in 1A. Actually, I must take a photograph next time...
Awesome, thanks! Just reserved it both ways When I fly I'll have a look at the space on both sides of the aisle and let you guys know.

One minor issue I have with the upgrade coupons that I forgot to mention- The agent informed me that in case of cancellation, the coupons are not refundable. Seems a bit harsh, no?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by blackball
...in case of cancellation, the coupons are not refundable. Seems a bit harsh, no?
Makes sense, though. If you cancel late, they may no longer be able to sell the seat in C. Of course, this would be true also for regular C bookings, but I guess that this may be their logic.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lgts
Indeed nice! Was the price worth it?

The vouchers needed are indeed two.

Hehehe, it was Less than 100 EUR one-way actually. A direct flight with Norwegian was twice as much. I booked very late, that's why. Even today, one day before the flight, A3 from Oslo to Warsaw is only 100 EUR.

Love that A3 European business class service also
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
How did you guys book the OSL - ATH - WAW bookings, and how much did it cost?

I recently booked VIE - HER - SAW for $58 incl taxes. No idea how that price came about but it ticketed fine.

On another note, my upgraded flight did not get the mileage credited. The wiki page says I need to call in for this?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by lsed
How did you guys book the OSL - ATH - WAW bookings, and how much did it cost?

I recently booked VIE - HER - SAW for $58 incl taxes. No idea how that price came about but it ticketed fine.

On another note, my upgraded flight did not get the mileage credited. The wiki page says I need to call in for this?
I paid like 90 EUR......it is available on various sites, I booked through Momondo.

Booked OSL-ATH for 35 EUR, and also Oslo to Thessaloniki for around 45 EUR one way
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by skrosvik
I paid like 90 EUR......it is available on various sites, I booked through Momondo.

Booked OSL-ATH for 35 EUR, and also Oslo to Thessaloniki for around 45 EUR one way
Wow great price! That's certainly good value to use the upgrade certs and requalify cheaply for A3 Gold

Doubt I can make use of it but thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by skrosvik
I booked through Momondo.
Be careful. Some of the sites advertised on momondo actually issue A3 tickets on Olympic ticket stock. Which means that they cannot be upgraded with vouchers.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Today's upgrade experience:

I called today to do an upgrade TLV-ATH-ZRH and only wanted to upgrade second leg. I knew from past experience that even upgrading the second leg allows 2 Pieces of luggage (32kg each) even on the first leg.
However, luckily, I checked the email confirmation which said by the first leg (L class) 0PC and the second leg (I class) 2PC.
I immediately called up Aegean and they sent me a new confirmation email with the correct baggage allowance like I thought it should have been.

In short - Check your email confirmation every time to be sure!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Be careful. Some of the sites advertised on momondo actually issue A3 tickets on Olympic ticket stock. Which means that they cannot be upgraded with vouchers.
Never had any trouble upgrading A3 flights booked through Momondo. Used all of my certificated already :/ Have 15-16 flights with A3 this year, so make sure to only use them on the longest flights, hehe.

No problem requalifying. But getting the upgraded flights to post at all is another story............
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:31 am

I tried to put a waiting list a coupon for my Friday night flight BRU-ATH. Difficult task given the route (much C-traffic) and the day/time. Still not heard back...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: A3*G
my miles didn't credit, its already 10 days after the flight, do I need to call in, or I can do it online?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:48 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by travel agent
my miles didn't credit, its already 10 days after the flight, do I need to call in, or I can do it online?
You can't technically do anything until 14 days has passed, certainly not online. As per the advice in the wiki, calling is usually more productive in this case anyway, and you might get them to do it ahead of the usual 'wait' period.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:04 am

Since you are already 10 days due, I'd also call them.
Did that once 3-4 days after the flight and they credited immediately.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: TK *G Elite, AZ Gold.
Has anyone been upgraded from being waitlisted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.