Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by LH4116
I have 4 vouchers that I will likely not be able to use. So according to the wiki, it's possible for me to give them away to somebody else? E.g upgrade his ticket using my vouchers, or am I wrong here?
Yes, this is possible.

Also does the booking class remain unchanged or does to change to I when upgrading? In case I use a voucher I plan on crediting the miles to Turkish Airlines, hence the problem arises.
When upgrading, Aegean issue a new ticket, with a new e-ticket number, and the booking class is changed to I class, but you will still earn miles according to the original booking class, (and in addition, an agent told me, if you would want to change or cancel the ticket, the fees would be according to the original booking class.)
Many have had problems with claiming the miles from an upgraded ticket, just see this thread with the wiki where you will find more on that.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Has anybody tried to upgrade on seasonal charter flights? There are some from TSR Zakinthos...I cannot find information if these flights have C class seats.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Has anybody tried to upgrade on seasonal charter flights? There are some from TSR Zakinthos...I cannot find information if these flights have C class seats.
Such charters are Y-only - at least all of the new seasonal charter routes I checked. You can easily see for yourself by doing a dummy booking on the Aegean website. If it won't list any biz tickets for sale, there won't be any biz cabin.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: A3 *G
I just had a slightly different experience with a coupon upgrade so I thought I'd post.

I booked a VERY cheap SMI-ATH-LHR on an OTA site then immediately called A3 to upgrade the ATH-LHR leg. 3 minutes on hold and a 2 minute call. All good it seemed, but I never received the confirmation email with the new ticket number.

This was yesterday so I checked my booking this morning on the website. The upgrade had gone through and I have a new ticket number (still no email) but the price of the flight has increased by 30 Euro. The website tried to display my card details which I (supposedly) used to pay the price difference, but obviously can't as I didn't do that and it just displays "HTML garbage" instead.

I called to check the flight have been properly ticketed and all is OK, but the agent couldn't explain why the price appears to have changed. She ensured me there is actually no extra to pay and to ignore any errors on the web booking page.

So, all seems OK but I thought I'd report back. I'm still very happy with the overall experience and I got myself a C class ticket to London, with connecting flight, for 58 Euro! If anyone's interested (slightly off topic I know) there still appear to be more of these seats available but ONLY on 23rd and 30th September and only from certain islands - not ATH.

Also, it seems they're laid off on "security" a bit. When I've upgraded or changed a booking in the past, they always asked the M&B number, email address and DOB but this time they just wanted my card number. They didn't even ask to confirm my name.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Jun 16, 2015 at 3:14 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I just had a slightly different experience with a coupon upgrade so I thought I'd post.

I booked a VERY cheap SMI-ATH-LHR on an OTA site then immediately called to upgrade the ATH-LHR leg. 3 minutes on hold and a 2 minute call. All good it seemed, but I never received the confirmation email with the new ticket number.

This was yesterday so I checked my booking this morning on the website. The upgrade had gone through and I have a new ticket number (still no email) but the price of the flight has changed by 30 Euro. The website tried to display my card details which I (supposedly) used to pay the price difference, but obviously can't as I didn't do that and it just displays "HTML garbage" instead.

I called to check the flight have been properly ticketed and all is OK, but the agent couldn't explain why the price appears to have changed. She ensured me there is actually no extra to pay and to ignore any errors on the web booking page.

So, all seems OK but I thought I'd report back. I'm still very happy with the overall experience and I got myself a C class ticket to London, with connecting flight, for 58 Euro!
I've had exactly the same experience twice.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Also, it seems they're laid off on "security" a bit. When I've upgraded or changed a booking in the past, they always asked the M&B number, email address and DOB but this time they just wanted my card number. They didn't even ask to confirm my name.
While I think they should ask something, the old security meassures were a bit too much. For instace, there is mo way to say my home address in an intelligable way in english, so when they ask that and I reply correctly, they always go "ehr... Ok"
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:38 am

I hope they are a bit more strict in verification when the member is not upgrading themselves but a different passenger.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:00 am

ATH-SMI-ATH is only Y, so no upgrade.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:12 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Seat upgrade coupons

Folks, there was a request posted for the use of another Gold member's upgrade vouchers. I read this as being tounge-in-cheek and cheeky, rather than an attempt to circumvent the rules on no trading in Flyertalk fora other than the special circumstances in Coupon Connection (and, in any case, the OP wasn't offering a trade in return so CC wouldn't apply). As such, it was probably borderline in terms of breaching posting rules.

As a precaution, I have deleted the original message, and the gentle reminder from another forum member, so no trace remains.

However, let me make this abundantly clear: this thread is only to report upgrade experiences, not to try and request one from others. Having pointed this out, I will treat any further such posts as in breach of rule 10 on Commercial Posts. This would leave me no choice but to head down the disciplinary path, which is one I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles&Bonus
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Folks, there was a request posted for the use of another Gold member's upgrade vouchers. I read this as being tounge-in-cheek and cheeky, rather than an attempt to circumvent the rules on no trading in Flyertalk fora other than the special circumstances in Coupon Connection (and, in any case, the OP wasn't offering a trade in return so CC wouldn't apply). As such, it was probably borderline in terms of breaching posting rules.

As a precaution, I have deleted the original message, and the gentle reminder from another forum member, so no trace remains.

However, let me make this abundantly clear: this thread is only to report upgrade experiences, not to try and request one from others. Having pointed this out, I will treat any further such posts as in breach of rule 10 on Commercial Posts. This would leave me no choice but to head down the disciplinary path, which is one I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Thank you for your co-operation.

NWIFlyer
Aegean Miles&Bonus
Hi Mod,

Can such offers/requests be made in the Coupon Connection forum?

Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:15 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by hugolover
Hi Mod,

Can such offers/requests be made in the Coupon Connection forum?

Thanks
That's probably a question for the CC mods and outside my domain, but certainly that forum is a more appropriate place for them than here .

A reminder to members that membership of CC is, amongst others things, subject to accepting the specific rules there and having 180 posts & 180 days membership, so not all will currently qualify.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:07 pm

Coupon Connection is closed I believe (and has been for over a year)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:23 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by HiroshimaFlyer
Coupon Connection is closed I believe (and has been for over a year)
Not to those of us who meet the qualifying criteria . It was closed for a short period whilst the rules were re-defined to exclude the trading of AA instruments, it's true, but it has been available for some months now. It is the *only* place on FT where proposals for trades are acceptable.

Now, let's get back to the core of the discussion, please.

/mod
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH, SEN, RJ Platinum, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have used all vouchers; however flights have yet to be taken. Can I call in an request to remove the used Voucher on some legs and use it than towards another booking?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Atlantico
Can I call in an request to remove the used Voucher on some legs and use it than towards another booking?
I'm afraid that's not possible. You can only change the date of the booking and even in case of cancellation or re-routing the voucher cannot be re-used..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.