Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DELLAS
To be honest I have never get one. I get told over the phone its done and check ''My Flights'' App so I know its done and can see the new ticket number. No need for emails then. It will also alert you to seat changes,aircraft changes etc... You really need to download it as it will make your worries go and not just with A3 other airlines too. It often alerts you hours before airlines call or email you about changes so means you are one step ahead.
Will download the app. Thanks !
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:55 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
To be honest I have never get one. I get told over the phone its done and check ''My Flights'' App so I know its done and can see the new ticket number. No need for emails then. It will also alert you to seat changes,aircraft changes etc... You really need to download it as it will make your worries go and not just with A3 other airlines too. It often alerts you hours before airlines call or email you about changes so means you are one step ahead.
While I agree that such tools are very helpful, one should not need to rely on them. When an email with updated info is promised by the agent, the pax should receive that email. And in such way I support the complaint regarding not receiving an email update.

Having said that, there could be many reasons why such email would not arrive. Bookings through a 3rd party (eg Expedia) could mean that they will receive the updated reservation. They may not forward it. Or it may be classified as spam by your email provider. Or...

Basically I'd agree that it is up to the traveler to try to find out as much as possible themselves. Using an app, checkmytrip or the a3 website you could find if the upgrade was successful. But that does not let a3 off the hook to send you that email if that was promised..
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:30 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It is an excellent app - I use it extensively for all of my bookings with a BA-coded flight in them - but it doesn't work with all airlines, even those on the Amadeus system. I wasn't aware it worked for A3 - good news!

In app form, it's also only available for iOS (not Android), but fortunately there's now a web version which allows you to register and add PNR's.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
While I agree that such tools are very helpful, one should not need to rely on them. When an email with updated info is promised by the agent, the pax should receive that email. And in such way I support the complaint regarding not receiving an email update.

Having said that, there could be many reasons why such email would not arrive. Bookings through a 3rd party (eg Expedia) could mean that they will receive the updated reservation. They may not forward it. Or it may be classified as spam by your email provider. Or...

Basically I'd agree that it is up to the traveler to try to find out as much as possible themselves. Using an app, checkmytrip or the a3 website you could find if the upgrade was successful. But that does not let a3 off the hook to send you that email if that was promised..
Thank you for coming to my rescue
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Indeed if A3 specifically said they would send one then they should. I guess Im a bit more self sufficient and usually my Apps override the need so it does not cause me stress when emails dont come in.

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
It is an excellent app - I use it extensively for all of my bookings with a BA-coded flight in them - but it doesn't work with all airlines, even those on the Amadeus system. I wasn't aware it worked for A3 - good news!

In app form, it's also only available for iOS (not Android), but fortunately there's now a web version which allows you to register and add PNR's.

I use it all the time I would be lost without it. Looking back at my past bookings the following I have managed to use with these airlines :

A3/BA/IB/OA/LX/RJ/TK/AC/MS/UX/LH/SK/NT the only recent one is SN which cant be added. You can manually add them but of course no updates but still useful to have your future trips in order and you can store the E TKT and PNR References etc...

Its great when an airline does an A/C change and your seats get messed up. The alert gives you a head start to get into the seat map and select seats again before others grab them.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:56 pm

This may be asked here already, so apologies in advance if it is. I did a search for united and didn't find anything.

I'm wondering if I'll still earn miles (award and/or PQM) on United MileagePlus.

I just applied an upgrade coupon to a LHR-ATH segment. Now I am booked in fare class I. AFAIK, United doesn't give credit to *A / A3 I class. So will this mean my ticket will be useless credit wise to UA then? Can I still somehow get the original routing.

Actually on second look, original routing is in U, which probably also doesn't earn per UA...

[edit:] Looking at another segment now, where the original fare class will be S and S does earn PQM and RDM with UA. Wondering if I should upgrade this to I and potentially forfeit the mileage earning (with UA at least). Thoughts welcome!

Last edited by leixusam; Aug 25, 2015 at 3:21 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looking at upgrading LHR-ATH segments. How much extra is the APD, and do they usually charge it or not?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
Looking at upgrading LHR-ATH segments. How much extra is the APD, and do they usually charge it or not?
I just did this yesterday myself, so very familiar. It's a 13 GBP, which converts to around 18 EUR that A3 charges. If you look on Matrix, it's 26 GBP for J, 13 GBP for Y, and all other taxes/fees are the same. They do charge it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:03 pm

Have anybody had any experience crediting an upgraded ticket to another FFP? I'm guessing you've had to retro-caim the miles, or were they credited automatically? I have a LHR-ATH-ARN itinerary that I'm crediting to TK, so it would be a shame to miss out on the 2188 miles that it would earn me.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:24 pm

Have anybody had any experience crediting an upgraded ticket to another FFP? I'm guessing you've had to retro-caim the miles, or were they credited automatically? I have a LHR-ATH-ARN itinerary that I'm crediting to TK, so it would be a shame to miss out on the 2188 miles that it would earn me.
I'll put on my Cassandra mask and I'll risk foreseeing the future, trying to convince you not to do this and spend the next few weeks peacefully without worries. Most of us have had difficulties getting our miles from M&B after the upgrade, because of the I fare class booking and the "new" ticket issued. Personally, it took me an on-line claim after 14 days, another 10 days waiting and a final phone call and 7 additional days after that. In your case, you'll need retro-claims to TK, plus phone calls to both airlines for those 2188 miles on TK instead of 1200 (or have you already deducted the A3 miles from your calculation?). And don't expect TK to react logically, we all know that logic and airlines are opposed notions.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:34 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by KLouis
I'll put on my Cassandra mask and I'll risk foreseeing the future, trying to convince you not to do this and spend the next few weeks peacefully without worries. Most of us have had difficulties getting our miles from M&B after the upgrade, because of the I fare class booking and the "new" ticket issued. Personally, it took me an on-line claim after 14 days, another 10 days waiting and a final phone call and 7 additional days after that. In your case, you'll need retro-claims to TK, plus phone calls to both airlines for those 2188 miles on TK instead of 1200 (or have you already deducted the A3 miles from your calculation?). And don't expect TK to react logically, we all know that logic and airlines are opposed notions.
I'd say that may well be one of the best and most accurate pieces of advice you'll get on FT this year. There is no way whatsoever A3's system will cope with this, and it's not really in their interests to solve it given it would actually cost them money to do so with the "miles payment" to TK.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I'd say that may well be one of the best and most accurate pieces of advice you'll get on FT this year. There is no way whatsoever A3's system will cope with this, and it's not really in their interests to solve it given it would actually cost them money to do so with the "miles payment" to TK.
Yes, I am facing an uphill battle for sure. Though considering how many miles have been credited to A3, I suppose they'll have to balance the scales by crediting some to their partners

From what I understand, the old e-ticket number still remains in the booking. So technically, one should be able to just send a retro-claim using that number? The coupon status will be displayed as "EXCHANGED" though, but it should still indicate that the coupon has been flown.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:24 am

Yes, I am facing an uphill battle for sure. Though considering how many miles have been credited to A3, I suppose they'll have to balance the scales by crediting some to their partners

From what I understand, the old e-ticket number still remains in the booking. So technically, one should be able to just send a retro-claim using that number? The coupon status will be displayed as "EXCHANGED" though, but it should still indicate that the coupon has been flown.
Well, you've been warned! When you come back to tell us your story, concentrate on the facts and not your crises of anger, rage and frustration when you describe the latest in Greek-Turkish conspiracy to commit you to a psychiatric ward (the medic in me woke up ).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:25 am
Community Director

The original e-ticket numbers disappears and is replaced by a new one, and the system probably will not recognise anything as being flown against that original ticket. The old PNR remains intact. Because this is a complete re-ticket, I'm not sure what the coupons will show status-wise.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:57 am

Though one question. The e-ticket tab on checkmytrip.com is empty e.g it's showing the new e-ticket number, but not any flights listed. Is that normal, or should I call Aegean?

The A3 website states the ticket number as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.