Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Over recent years, I have stayed in the following suites at the CLL:
- Junior Suite Lake View (non-gold)
- 1 Bedroom Suite Lake View (non-gold)
- Marquis de Lorne Signature Lake View Gold 1 Bedroom Suite

I have never stayed in a CLL room, gold or not. That said, if I was choosing between a Gold Room or a 1-Bedroom Suite (both lake view), I would go for the 1 bedroom suite. The suites are quite nice and large, and the rooms, so I am told, are small. If you are choosing between a Gold Room and only a Junior Suite (both lake view), I might go for the Gold Room. It would be smaller but finished nicer.

I'm going to PM you a link to some trip reports with photos of the above rooms, so you can see what they each look like.

The gold lounge is a nice place to get breakfast, and evening snacks, but beyond getting some free food, you probably wouldn't hang out in it for too long. You'll have better views from your room or the main lakeview lounge downstairs (the gold lounge looks out to the parking garage), or you'll be outside enjoying the area. Lounge access wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, especially if you have a rate that is giving you breakfast in one of the main restaurants.

You seem to really want the late checkout, but I don't know if you need to worry too much about booking a rate that includes it. If you're FPC platinum, you are entitled to that regardless of the rate you book. If you're not a Plat, they may give you the late checkout anyway, since it's not high season. Ski season can be busy, but nothing like the summer crowds.

Anyway, look for my PM and you should get a good feel for what each room looks like.

Originally Posted by stephem
Thanks, it's for next week. Last minute so I am really scrambling, but there is decent availability and there are some good rates.

I looked again and for Gold Lakeview Room there is a AAA rate that has $50 F&B, so that would mean my real choice is $50 less over 4 nights with AAA rate vs late check out, possible upgrade (and free breakfast downstairs as option) with FHR. I'm inclined to take FHR.

One other thing I noticed with the AAA rates is they have Jr Suite Lake View (not on Gold floor though) for same price as Gold Lakeview Room and Luxury Suite Lakeview for only a bit more per night.

But it sounds like the Gold floor is the best place to stay at this property, am I right that the Gold rooms are better and access to Gold lounge should trump getting a Jr Suite or full Suite on non Gold floor?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks for the help and detailed info CanadaDH.
In the end, my options dwindled on room availability, so I just went with the Lakeview Gold room under the FHR promo. We are planning on skiing and being outside lots, so a bigger room isnt a big draw for us. This way we get the choice of where to have breakfast and can chill in the lounge if we want, use the $100 FB credit for cocktails and ski on our last day before heading home in the afternoon after a late checkout.
For anyone else looking, the Amex FHR 4 for 3 rate is pretty much identical to what the AAA rate would be over 4 days.
Really looking forward to the last minute opportunity to get away and ski without our kids ;-)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:56 pm

I will be travelling to CLL for the first time on my honeymoon in July of this year. I am planning on booking using the CAA/AAA rate... We are on a budget (second marriage for both, paying for everything ourselves) and want to splurge...within reason.

We are looking at booking either a Deluxe Lakeview ($595 CAD/NIGHT) or a Fairmont Gold Lakeview (From $665 CAD/NIGHT). Both come with a $50 F&D credit with the AAA rate.

We honestly aren't planning on spending a wealth of time in the room... this hotel itself is a splurge for us as we are normally a very budget-conscientious couple. Which rate would you recommend? I feel like we would definitely be in the Gold lounge for breakfast, but is it truly worth the extra $70/night?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by cwade0
I will be travelling to CLL for the first time on my honeymoon in July of this year. I am planning on booking using the CAA/AAA rate... We are on a budget (second marriage for both, paying for everything ourselves) and want to splurge...within reason.

We are looking at booking either a Deluxe Lakeview ($595 CAD/NIGHT) or a Fairmont Gold Lakeview (From $665 CAD/NIGHT). Both come with a $50 F&D credit with the AAA rate.

We honestly aren't planning on spending a wealth of time in the room... this hotel itself is a splurge for us as we are normally a very budget-conscientious couple. Which rate would you recommend? I feel like we would definitely be in the Gold lounge for breakfast, but is it truly worth the extra $70/night?
Only you can decide if the $70/night extra is worth it, since we all value things differently!

Personally, I would say it is. Even in food value alone. Consider that Lake Louise doesn't have a lot of places to eat outside of the hotel, and meals there can be expensive. You could very easily spend $30 for breakfast for two in the take-out deli on the main floor, or more than that in one of the full restaurants. Of course, breakfast for two can be had for less than $70, so I'd perhaps say, after factoring in the food value of the lounge breakfast, that $70 premium might now only be costing you $30 to $40/night.

The question then becomes, would you pay $35 more per night for a room that is finished nicer, and has a lounge you can relax in, and includes some free appetizers in the evening (which you could actually turn into a light meal if you wanted)? I probably would, if choosing between those two room options, but that's just me.

You can put your $50 F&B credit toward a nice splurge on dinner in the Fairview dining room or even afternoon tea. Both are great dining experiences.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Only you can decide if the $70/night extra is worth it, since we all value things differently!

Personally, I would say it is. Even in food value alone. Consider that Lake Louise doesn't have a lot of places to eat outside of the hotel, and meals there can be expensive. You could very easily spend $30 for breakfast for two in the take-out deli on the main floor, or more than that in one of the full restaurants. Of course, breakfast for two can be had for less than $70, so I'd perhaps say, after factoring in the food value of the lounge breakfast, that $70 premium might now only be costing you $30 to $40/night.

The question then becomes, would you pay $35 more per night for a room that is finished nicer, and has a lounge you can relax in, and includes some free appetizers in the evening (which you could actually turn into a light meal if you wanted)? I probably would, if choosing between those two room options, but that's just me.
Thank you for your help! I will go ahead and book the Gold room...after all this is our big splurge trip! Thanks again.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
Thanks for the help and detailed info CanadaDH.
In the end, my options dwindled on room availability, so I just went with the Lakeview Gold room under the FHR promo. We are planning on skiing and being outside lots, so a bigger room isnt a big draw for us. This way we get the choice of where to have breakfast and can chill in the lounge if we want, use the $100 FB credit for cocktails and ski on our last day before heading home in the afternoon after a late checkout.
For anyone else looking, the Amex FHR 4 for 3 rate is pretty much identical to what the AAA rate would be over 4 days.
Really looking forward to the last minute opportunity to get away and ski without our kids ;-)
I'm happy to help, and glad you found something that works for you. I think you'll have a great time. It's one of my favourite hotels anywhere, but haven't yet had the chance to get there for winter skiing (hopefully next year).

Since you're arriving next week, you'll get to see the ice sculpture contest carvings on the lake in front of the hotel.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Since you're arriving next week, you'll get to see the ice sculpture contest carvings on the lake in front of the hotel.
Unfortunately, the warm weather has already wrecked most of the carvings this year. I just came back from staying at the CLL this past weekend for the Little Chippers part of the Ice Magic Festival. Many of the carvings had already melted and fallen apart!

Here's the first place winner with its head cut off!

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:52 pm

Bummer!
On the positive side, we're looking forward to not dying on the slopes. We're pretty soft after having lived in the PacNW for a decade, none of the skiing around here really gets that cold. Looking at some of the normal temps for Lake Louise this time of year had us shivering. Looks like some recent new snow but a fairly balmy week ahead for us, looking forward to getting out and enjoying some new ski areas.

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Unfortunately, the warm weather has already wrecked most of the carvings this year. I just came back from staying at the CLL this past weekend for the Little Chippers part of the Ice Magic Festival. Many of the carvings had already melted and fallen apart!

Here's the first place winner with its head cut off!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:07 pm

A few thoughts on the place after our stay...

First, loved Lake Louise location and the nearby ski mountain. From an enjoyment perspective, if you are here to ski, definitely would recommend staying at the Fairmont. It's a really trivial shuttle ride or drive over to the mountain. Lake Louise ski area has good varied terrain, everything from beginner to advanced and a great kids area.

Hotel was pretty good, but not quite great. Service was really spotty except on the gold floor. Surprisingly weak, sometimes borderline rude staff. It wasn't busy, there was no excuse for it. Food, well another let down. It was ok, but we found that Banff has some much more creative fare and so drove there for dinner after 2 tries in the hotel. Not bad food at the hotel, just underwhelming and certainly no match for Banff. Service in Banff was also far better.

Gold floor. I would skip it next time, it's really no better than your run of the mill Sheraton lounge, I was expecting better. Maybe when the hotel is really crowded it's a nice place to get away, but overall we hardly used it.

Lake view. Was nice to wake up to sunrise on lake and glacier, but funny thing is that in the winter the view to the ski area is pretty nice too!

The Lake. Skated, walked, hit the ice bar for a few drinks. Wow, loved this, even in the bitter cold this was so much fun. Can't wait to return with our kids and get them out on the ice to skate.

Overall value. Absent the extra we paid for the gold floor, I thought the FHR rate we had was a good value for the property and would do this again. Not one of my top properties in the world, but a good solid property in an incredible location.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, BA Gold
Thanks for your impressions.

I'm considering a stay in summer this year and I'm not really sure if its worth the money. Would you recommend Banff instead?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by drivechip
Thanks for your impressions.

I'm considering a stay in summer this year and I'm not really sure if its worth the money. Would you recommend Banff instead?
If you've never been to the area before, why not try both?

Both the CLL and the BSH are in the heart of Banff National Park. BSH has more civilization around it, in that it is a luxury hotel in the mountains, but has lots of restaurants and attractions nearby, and much more night life. The CLL is in a more remote setting. If you're looking for lots of stores and restaurants, the CLL is not the place. If you're looking to be ideally positioned for beautiful hiking in the mountains, then it doesn't get any better than the CLL.

Basically, if you're not really into hiking type activities, then you may get bored in Lake Louise quickly. If you love mountain hiking and remote settings, then you may never get bored there.

If you're planning on exploring more of the Rockies than just the Banff area, Lake Louise is nicely positioned for seeing Yoho National Park and is closer to the start of the fabulous drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, BA Gold
If you've never been to the area before, why not try both?

Both the CLL and the BSH are in the heart of Banff National Park. BSH has more civilization around it, in that it is a luxury hotel in the mountains, but has lots of restaurants and attractions nearby, and much more night life. The CLL is in a more remote setting. If you're looking for lots of stores and restaurants, the CLL is not the place. If you're looking to be ideally positioned for beautiful hiking in the mountains, then it doesn't get any better than the CLL.

Basically, if you're not really into hiking type activities, then you may get bored in Lake Louise quickly. If you love mountain hiking and remote settings, then you may never get bored there.

If you're planning on exploring more of the Rockies than just the Banff area, Lake Louise is nicely positioned for seeing Yoho National Park and is closer to the start of the fabulous drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.
Thanks for your very helpful information. Lake Louse is just a small two nights stop during my trip from Vancouver to Calgary and finally Edmonton. I've been in this area 10 year ago. I'd like to use the stop for a full day hike tour so the CLL seems to be a good place to stay.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
This is one of my favorite properties in the world. Nothing quite like Kayaking on the lake right in front of the Chateau..
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I would agree the food in CLL isnt great, but take a quick jaunt to the Post Hotel, or the Station and you will find some excellent food and service!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:35 pm

+1 to the recommendation of the Station. I've had many great meals there and never been disappointed.

As for the Chateau, I find that dinner in the Fairview Dining Room, while expensive, is excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.