Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
I recently returned from another stay at the CLL, and have modified my earlier post (linked below) with some new photos.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29001323-post237.html

The Gold Lounge at CLL has been renovated. Two guest rooms on the 7th floor have been removed in order to expand the lounge. A larger lounge was needed, as some additional rooms on the 8th floor have been designated as Gold.

While the renovation was very done well, my personal opinion is that this is not an improvement to the product. The old Gold product was great, and still small enough to be able to provide excellent service. With 41 rooms on the 7th floor, and some additional rooms on the 8th floor, the product is now getting rather large. I found the lounge often noisy and service less personal, and as a result, didn't use it very much.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
I recently returned from another stay at the CLL, and have modified my earlier post (linked below) with some new photos.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29001323-post237.html

The Gold Lounge at CLL has been renovated. Two guest rooms on the 7th floor have been removed in order to expand the lounge. A larger lounge was needed, as some additional rooms on the 8th floor have been designated as Gold.

While the renovation was very done well, my personal opinion is that this is not an improvement to the product. The old Gold product was great, and still small enough to be able to provide excellent service. With 41 rooms on the 7th floor, and some additional rooms on the 8th floor, the product is now getting rather large. I found the lounge often noisy and service less personal, and as a result, didn't use it very much.
Avoid the additional rooms on the 8th floor whenever possible, they are very small, particularly the washrooms (more like water closet). I wouldn't consider them Gold Floor rooms.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by YYC traveler
Avoid the additional rooms on the 8th floor whenever possible, they are very small, particularly the washrooms (more like water closet). I wouldn't consider them Gold Floor rooms.
I've stayed in an 8th floor 1 bed suite before, and it was very nice and the bathroom was a good size. The only complaint I would have is that 8th floor windows are smaller than other floors. However, I've never been in a room category CLL before, only suites.

Honestly, I plan to not bother with Gold there anymore. I like the restaurants at CLL a lot, much better than the Gold lounge, so I don't get a lot out of the lounge. I'll probably just go back to my usual non-gold 1 Bedroom Lakeview Suite on future visits.

I liked being in the Marquis of Lorne Suite again, with the expansive windows. Too bad they don't have another one that's not gold. We spent 10 nights there and only bothered with the evening appetizers 3 times.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:48 pm

Gold Lake View Qn/Qn vs 1 bedroom mountain view vs Jr Suite Mountain View

Any opinions on Junior Suite Mountain view vs Gold Lake View rooms? same price for either

or ~$50 more for 1 bedroom mountain view suite

The windows in the Gold Lake View rooms look small in the pictures.
Any special rooms or floors to request with picking any of these options?

thanks for your help
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by socaltam
Any opinions on Junior Suite Mountain view vs Gold Lake View rooms? same price for either

thanks for your help
Personally, I would only ever choose a lake view. If you're going to Lake Louise, why not have a view of it. I've never stayed in a non-suite category room at the CLL, but I've heard that the room categories can be small there. If you scroll up a bit in this thread (post #237 ), I've added a post with floor plans and photos of various suites that I've stayed in, which may be helpful.

But, what's more important to you? The view, or the size of the room/suite? The Gold room will be the smaller of the 3 types you are considering, but will certainly have the best view, and access to Gold lounge.

The windows on the Gold floor are no smaller than the windows on other floors. The 8th floor, actually has the smallest windows, and all floors below are generally about the same size, in the Barott Wing and the Glacier Wing. The Painter Wing is a bit different, and the Gold rooms in that section have larger windows that the floors below. The 7th floor is the Gold floor, however, they have expanded the product and added some of the 8th floor rooms. If you go for the Gold room, I would request to be on the 7th floor, not the 8th.

My default choice there is the 1 Bedroom King Lakeview Suite. I find that to be of good value, where you get great views and lots of space. I don't necessarily care too much about Fairmont Gold at CLL (although, the lounge is very nice), because the hotel has a lot of great restaurants that I really like, and I find myself paying to eat in the restaurants anyway, even when I have access to the lounge. The Gold rooms are finished/furnished nicer than the equivalent non-Gold room category.

What time of year are you planning your trip for?

I have over 100 nights at this hotel in recent years, so I know it well if you have any questions.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:30 pm

Personally, I would only ever choose a lake view. If you're going to Lake Louise, why not have a view of it. I've never stayed in a non-suite category room at the CLL, but I've heard that the room categories can be small there. If you scroll up a bit in this thread (post #237 ), I've added a post with floor plans and photos of various suites that I've stayed in, which may be helpful.

But, what's more important to you? The view, or the size of the room/suite? The Gold room will be the smaller of the 3 types you are considering, but will certainly have the best view, and access to Gold lounge.

The windows on the Gold floor are no smaller than the windows on other floors. The 8th floor, actually has the smallest windows, and all floors below are generally about the same size, in the Barott Wing and the Glacier Wing. The Painter Wing is a bit different, and the Gold rooms in that section have larger windows that the floors below. The 7th floor is the Gold floor, however, they have expanded the product and added some of the 8th floor rooms. If you go for the Gold room, I would request to be on the 7th floor, not the 8th.

My default choice there is the 1 Bedroom King Lakeview Suite. I find that to be of good value, where you get great views and lots of space. I don't necessarily care too much about Fairmont Gold at CLL (although, the lounge is very nice), because the hotel has a lot of great restaurants that I really like, and I find myself paying to eat in the restaurants anyway, even when I have access to the lounge. The Gold rooms are finished/furnished nicer than the equivalent non-Gold room category.

What time of year are you planning your trip for?

I have over 100 nights at this hotel in recent years, so I know it well if you have any questions.
next month August.
I don't think we will be spending a lot of time in any of the room choices so that is why I think I am having difficulty.... planning to hike and be out and about.
the Gold room is supposed to be 375sf and suite 425 so that didn't seem like it would be much different except couch but when we use it at night the room will not be very much larger with sofa bed open.
Next suite option is whitehorn and $1200 more per night

I think we will just do the Gold and hope it isn't too tight of a fit. I cant find pictures of the queen queen room and if there are desk/chairs

All post back again late this week with specific questions about the area- would love more help
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:00 am

next month August.
I don't think we will be spending a lot of time in any of the room choices so that is why I think I am having difficulty.... planning to hike and be out and about.
the Gold room is supposed to be 375sf and suite 425 so that didn't seem like it would be much different except couch but when we use it at night the room will not be very much larger with sofa bed open.
Next suite option is whitehorn and $1200 more per night

I think we will just do the Gold and hope it isn't too tight of a fit. I cant find pictures of the queen queen room and if there are desk/chairs

All post back again late this week with specific questions about the area- would love more help
I'll also be there next month, so we might run into each other! We're trying out a 2-Bedroom Lakeview Suite for the first time, and taking my brother and SIL with us.

Most of the Gold rooms are a bit larger than the non-Gold rooms, and you can see that from the 7th Floor plan below, vs. the non-Gold 5th. The physical layout on that floor is different than the floors below it, I think you'll have enough space in that room. As for the Queen/Queen setup, I don't believe the bed configuration affects much. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a desk in it.

I don't know if it matters to you, but the 7th (Gold) and 8th floors (which are not original to the building) have air conditioning. Other floors do not. I've never found it to be needed, as this is Lake Louise. Chances are, the overnight temps are rather chilly and are often in the single-digits, even in July/August. I've even been snowed on over the Labour Day weekend there during some hikes.

If you're outside most of the time, then not booking the lakeview has some logic to it. That was why I asked when you were travelling. If you were going there in January or February, it gets dark early and you might not be in your room during daylight hours to make use of the view. I like waking up in the morning and taking in the view. But, that does come at a premium.

The Whitehorn Suite is in a different league than the other rooms you're considering. It's one of the Signature Suites on the "9th" floor. Basically, they're on the 8th, but have a staircase to the bedroom upstairs, which also has a large outdoor balcony off of it. There are 4 such suites... The larger Belvedere which faces the lake and Mt. Victoria and the smaller Glacier Suite which also faces the lake. On the opposite side, is the larger Fairview Suite, which as the name suggests, is on the side and looks toward Fairview Mountain. Then the Whitehorn Suite is smaller than the Fairview, and is on the back of the hotel, facing Mount Whitehorn, which is one of the mountains that the Lake Louise Ski Resort occupies. All of those signature suites have at least 1 balcony. They also include Fairmont Gold access.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.

thanks for your help
If different types of rooms or suites are available at check-in, ask to see the different types before selecting one. Since my family tends to spend little time in a hotel room, there are only a few places where I would pay for a better view. Lake Louise is one of them. Although we went outside to take pictures, it gets cold and it was nice to watch parts of the sunrise from my room.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by rny321
If different types of rooms or suites are available at check-in, ask to see the different types before selecting one. Since my family tends to spend little time in a hotel room, there are only a few places where I would pay for a better view. Lake Louise is one of them. Although we went outside to take pictures, it gets cold and it was nice to watch parts of the sunrise from my room.
So I ended up in a Gold Lakeview Jr Suite. Might move over to 1 bedroom if opens up but probably will just stay put.

If anyone has recommendations on must do's for 1 adult and 3 boys 10 & 15 yr olds around the resort-- would love to have any recommendations-
we have never been to the area but have done some online research and made tentative plans.
We are planning to walk out the fireroad to Lake O hara since we didnt get bus tickets- the kids all hike-- might be a little long for the younger kids but they have hiked 12 miles in a day so I know we can do it.
We have a few hikes planned for near the resort
Plain of the 6 glaciers, Lake Agnes Teahouse, Moraine Lake, Consolation lake

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Active family looking to hike, fish, sightsee and find some brief periods of relaxation amongst our ambitious hiking plans......
Also staying in Banff one night so will post over there for any suggestions
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:42 pm

EDIT - replied to an older post by accident.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Jul 18, 2018 at 9:47 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:46 pm

So I ended up in a Gold Lakeview Jr Suite. Might move over to 1 bedroom if opens up but probably will just stay put.

If anyone has recommendations on must do's for 1 adult and 3 boys 10 & 15 yr olds around the resort-- would love to have any recommendations-
we have never been to the area but have done some online research and made tentative plans.
We are planning to walk out the fireroad to Lake O hara since we didnt get bus tickets- the kids all hike-- might be a little long for the younger kids but they have hiked 12 miles in a day so I know we can do it.
We have a few hikes planned for near the resort
Plain of the 6 glaciers, Lake Agnes Teahouse, Moraine Lake, Consolation lake

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Active family looking to hike, fish, sightsee and find some brief periods of relaxation amongst our ambitious hiking plans......
Also staying in Banff one night so will post over there for any suggestions
Lake O'Hara is awesome. I have bus tickets for 4 of us on both Aug 22 and 23. Fabulous hiking. But, the road would be a dull uphill walk. You also have to be aware that while you might be able to buy a bus ride out, that's only if there's space. You need to be prepared to hike back out. Having to hike 11km up and 11km back, on top of the real hike can be tiring. Start really early, so you can maximize your time on the great hikes, like part of the alpine circuit.

If you're going to hike both Plain of Six and Lake Agnes, do it as a big loop on one day. Add in the Big Beehive along the way.

Consolation Lakes is a nice easy hike at Moraine. Since you seem to like the more strenuous hikes, I would instead go for Eiffel Lake or Sentinel Pass from Moraine Lake. Get to Moraine Lake early. Recent reports are that Parks Canada has been closing the road by 6AM lately when the small parking lot there fills up. There's a paid shuttle service from the overflow lot, but not ideal. If you're staying at the Chateau, you're positioned to get an early start, so plan to leave the Chateau by absolutely no later than 5:30 AM.

For some things that provide some rest from hiking, canoeing on Lake Louise is nice. I would try to fit that in. There is a great restaurant at the Whitehorn Bistro up the gondola at the Lake Louise Ski Resort. You might also like the Spiral Tunnels if you're there when a train is passing through.

The Station Restaurant in the Lake Louise village is really nice.

I would also plan a day driving up the Icefields Parkway. All the way to Jasper is not really a day trip, but as far as perhaps Tangle Falls just past the Icefields makes a nice day trip. Lots of nice viewpoints and longer hikes along the way.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:51 pm

Lake O'Hara is awesome. I have bus tickets for 4 of us on both Aug 22 and 23. Fabulous hiking. But, the road would be a dull uphill walk. You also have to be aware that while you might be able to buy a bus ride out, that's only if there's space. You need to be prepared to hike back out. Having to hike 11km up and 11km back, on top of the real hike can be tiring. Start really early, so you can maximize your time on the great hikes, like part of the alpine circuit.

If you're going to hike both Plain of Six and Lake Agnes, do it as a big loop on one day. Add in the Big Beehive along the way.

Consolation Lakes is a nice easy hike at Moraine. Since you seem to like the more strenuous hikes, I would instead go for Eiffel Lake or Sentinel Pass from Moraine Lake. Get to Moraine Lake early. Recent reports are that Parks Canada has been closing the road by 6AM lately when the small parking lot there fills up. There's a paid shuttle service from the overflow lot, but not ideal. If you're staying at the Chateau, you're positioned to get an early start, so plan to leave the Chateau by absolutely no later than 5:30 AM.

For some things that provide some rest from hiking, canoeing on Lake Louise is nice. I would try to fit that in. There is a great restaurant at the Whitehorn Bistro up the gondola at the Lake Louise Ski Resort. You might also like the Spiral Tunnels if you're there when a train is passing through.

I would also plan a day driving up the Icefields Parkway. All the way to Jasper is not really a day trip, but as far as perhaps Tangle Falls just past the Icefields makes a nice day trip. Lots of nice viewpoints and longer hikes along the way.

would love to have input on my crazy plans that we will not be able to accomplish.... background- I just want to have some ideas of things to do since we have never been to this area before. I don't like to come in to a new vacation area without any idea of plans and waste days pondering over what do we do and then in a blink of an eye vacation is over.
We are looking for a nice balance of hiking/sightseeing/viewing and rest.
Feel free to notate what is completely crazy for the Jasper drive we are happy to have a 14-15 hour day just will need to ensure the day prior isnt a late night, etc., also ok to admit it is not doable or change our plans on the day of and know we will just have to come back another time for some of these adventures.
All of below is from FCLL home base

Day 2
  • 2 hr RT drive—probably 3 hr total time at places????= 5 hrs; Spiral Tunnels; Takakkaw Falls—suggestion arrive early in the am, can view From parking lot or 30 “ hike/walk, 1 mile max-- Iceland hike— Emerald Lake- Consider fishing vs hiking- if hike-> 2.5 hrs , 4 mile, Natural Bridge
  • checkin in to LL
  • Short hike? Consolation lake?
Day 3
Lake OHara ALL Day—do this early in trip so we aren’t exhausted later to be able to do, Hiking in, may need to hike out-- thinking about starting hike at 0630-0700? just in case we have to hike out we can have down time
Day 4
• Moraine Lake Rockpile & lakeshore & Consolation Lakes hike (probably skip Lake Annette hike?)
• Moraine Lake-- ? Canoe ride
• Bow Lake- maybe in the afternoon? Bowlake Glacier Falls Hike 5.4 miles; 2.5 hrs
kids activities at FCLL if staying at resort for afternoon vs Bow Lake
Day 5
• Plain of the 6 Glaciers; 7 miles; -- It seems like from your post-- we can combine Plain of the 6 glaciers and beehive, etc-- so would love to have advice and more info on this.
o OR Mount St Piran 5-6.5 hrs - OR Big Beehive 6 miles; OR Lake Agnes Teahouse 1.5-4hrs
• Canoe ride at Lake Louise
Day 6
Total trip TOO LONG!!! 7 Hr RT + 7-8 hours below :-O, back up plan could drive to closer things on another day
  • Crowfoot Glacier— Quick stop from Highway
  • Peyto Lake—Quick stop, short walk, kids want to fish-- not sure how much time we will have
  • Mistaya Canyon
  • Saskatchewan River Crossing—Quick stop, short walk
  • Weeping Wall— Quick stop from Highway
  • Bridal Veil Falls-- Quick stop from Highway
  • Panther Falls-- Quick stop from Highway
  • Columbia Icefield ~2-3 hours
  • o Glacier Skywalk
  • o Athabasca Glacier
  • Maligne Canyon – if enough daylight (5a-10p)
o would love to do at least one of these hikes: Parker Ridge Trail OR Wilcox Pass Hike; 3-4 hr OR Tangle Creek Falls
Day 7
• Johnston Canyon Hike to inkpots ?3miles?

Day 8 Free til 1p

• ? Horseback riding in place of one of the long hikes
• Canmore Cave Tour (?Discover Tour 3:30p 2-3hrs
• Fishing?
• Bow River Float Trip?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:52 pm

very envious of your bus tickets LOL--
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:30 pm

OK. A few thoughts below...

would love to have input on my crazy plans that we will not be able to accomplish.... background- I just want to have some ideas of things to do since we have never been to this area before. I don't like to come in to a new vacation area without any idea of plans and waste days pondering over what do we do and then in a blink of an eye vacation is over.
We are looking for a nice balance of hiking/sightseeing/viewing and rest.
Feel free to notate what is completely crazy for the Jasper drive we are happy to have a 14-15 hour day just will need to ensure the day prior isnt a late night, etc., also ok to admit it is not doable or change our plans on the day of and know we will just have to come back another time for some of these adventures.
All of below is from FCLL home base

Day 2
  • 2 hr RT drive—probably 3 hr total time at places????= 5 hrs; Spiral Tunnels; Takakkaw Falls—suggestion arrive early in the am, can view From parking lot or 30 “ hike/walk, 1 mile max-- Iceland hike— Emerald Lake- Consider fishing vs hiking- if hike-> 2.5 hrs , 4 mile, Natural Bridge
  • checkin in to LL
  • Short hike? Consolation lake?

For a short hike after checking into CLL late in the day, consider Fairview Lookout. Just a short hike in the trees to a view point over the lake looking back at the Chateau. Very easy.

You could also participate in the yoga/stretching classes they give on the canoe dock in the evening. It's free for hotel guests. A nice way to limber up for the hiking the next day. And, what better setting for a stretch class than outside at Lake Louise!

Consolation Lakes might not be a great option, since getting to Moraine Lake, other than crazy early or late in the day, is difficult. It's also a trail with grizzly bear activity, and is under the tight group of 4 hiker restrictions most of the summer. Hiking it into the evening when critters are more active means you need to be extra bear aware.

Day 3
Lake OHara ALL Day—do this early in trip so we aren’t exhausted later to be able to do, Hiking in, may need to hike out-- thinking about starting hike at 0630-0700? just in case we have to hike out we can have down time
As I said, it's a long boring fire road, but Lake O'Hara is fabulous. You probably won't have time for the full alpine circuit, given the time to walk the road. To get a good mix of everything, head out the West Opabin Trail, see Opabin Prospect, then to Hungabee Lake and pick up the Yukness Ledges alpine route as far as Lake Oesa, and then back to O'Hara. Or, the opposite direction.

Day 4
• Moraine Lake Rockpile & lakeshore & Consolation Lakes hike (probably skip Lake Annette hike?)
• Moraine Lake-- ? Canoe ride
• Bow Lake- maybe in the afternoon? Bowlake Glacier Falls Hike 5.4 miles; 2.5 hrs
kids activities at FCLL if staying at resort for afternoon vs Bow Lake
Lots of good options at Moraine Lake. Everything from the dead easy Lakeshore Trail and the Rockpile Trail up to more strenuous hikes like Sentinel Pass and Wenkchemna Pass, to scrambles like the Tower of Babel (which is a good introductory scramble, but still to be taken seriously). Love the canoe ride at Moraine. Canoeing will be cheaper at Lake Louise, simply because you're a hotel guest. Both lakes are great.

I've been to Bow Lake, but never done any of the big hikes in the area, so can't offer much comment.

Day 5
• Plain of the 6 Glaciers; 7 miles; -- It seems like from your post-- we can combine Plain of the 6 glaciers and beehive, etc-- so would love to have advice and more info on this.
o OR Mount St Piran 5-6.5 hrs - OR Big Beehive 6 miles; OR Lake Agnes Teahouse 1.5-4hrs
• Canoe ride at Lake Louise
I'll send you a link via PM to some hiking maps and photos for those hikes.

Day 6
Total trip TOO LONG!!! 7 Hr RT + 7-8 hours below :-O, back up plan could drive to closer things on another day
  • Crowfoot Glacier— Quick stop from Highway
  • Peyto Lake—Quick stop, short walk, kids want to fish-- not sure how much time we will have
  • Mistaya Canyon
  • Saskatchewan River Crossing—Quick stop, short walk
  • Weeping Wall— Quick stop from Highway
  • Bridal Veil Falls-- Quick stop from Highway
  • Panther Falls-- Quick stop from Highway
  • Columbia Icefield ~2-3 hours
  • o Glacier Skywalk
  • o Athabasca Glacier
  • Maligne Canyon – if enough daylight (5a-10p)
o would love to do at least one of these hikes: Parker Ridge Trail OR Wilcox Pass Hike; 3-4 hr OR Tangle Creek Falls
You won't be fishing at Peyto Lake. There's a short trail to a nice Peyto Lake viewpoint, but you'll be hundreds of feet above the lake. You can get to the lake, but it's not a maintained trail, and may involving fording a couple of creeks. I wouldn't bother.
I wouldn't spend the money on the Glacier Skywalk. Firstly, you're not on a glacier, and secondly, with all of the hikes you're planning on doing, you'll have tons of way better views. You'll find it disappointing and feel like you were ripped off. The Glacier Skywalk is there for windshield tourists and old tour bus passengers who don't bother going anywhere off the pavement.

I think Maligne Canyon is really pushing it. Jasper is a very long day trip from Lake Louise. Maligne is another hour further than Jasper. Very nice, but, that's a full day, especially if you're planning on spending a couple of hours at the Columbia Icefields. Many of your stops won't take too long, but it will be a full day. If you try it, definitely pack picnic lunches. You don't want to waste time lining up for overpriced and mediocre food at the Crossing or some other underwhelming stop along the way.

Day 7
• Johnston Canyon Hike to inkpots ?3miles?
I'll send you another link for this. It's an easy hike, but it can be busy.

Day 8 Free til 1p

• ? Horseback riding in place of one of the long hikes
• Canmore Cave Tour (?Discover Tour 3:30p 2-3hrs
• Fishing?
• Bow River Float Trip?
I haven't done these, although, I have a Lake Minnewanka fishing charter booked for next month to try it out.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:28 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU CANADA DH!
Can you join us in early August and be our guide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.