Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
If your plan was to use your free night certificate, then CLL might not be best, assuming you want a view of the lake. Officially, FPC certificates can only be applied on the base "Fairmont" rooms, which at CLL, do not have lake views. CLL is among the more flexible properties when it comes to using upgrade certificates, allowing you to book a mountain view room and upgrade to a mountain view junior suite, but also book a lake view room and upgrade to a lake view junior suite, and booking deluxe rooms and upgrading to 1-bed suites, etc. When it comes to stacking free nights with them, for about the past year, they're only allowing them on non-lake view room bookings. They might be more flexible on that policy in the off-season, I'm not sure. You'd probably need to contact the hotel directly.

I've stayed at the CLL in about six different months of the year, so am familiar with the many seasons there. I've never been there in the lowest demand times like November or April/May. Whether or not low season will be a good time, depends on what you want to do?

If you just want to experience the mountains, take in the views, relax at the lake, enjoy afternoon tea, then there is nothing wrong with coming in low season--it will save you a lot of money. The lake and the mountains are there year-round for your viewing pleasure! It's when your interests are based on specific outdoor activities like skating, skiing, rafting, hiking or climbing that you will be most limited.
yes, my plan is to find an accommodation to apply 2 FN. but it sounds like CLL is not the optimal or best value choice based on the reasons you stated above. plus, it is not as impressive if you stay at CLL but dont get a lake view room... at least that's what i surmise from your response

in that case, in your opinion, what is a best value choice for me to apply FN + 1 suite upgrade + 1 room upgrade? (i believe the latter two are given when you have premier status associated with Chase card). i presume you are probably quite familiar with all the fairmont properties. i probably have scanned the fairmont property list at least 3 times and narrow it down to the ones in Canada and Hawaii...

i like hiking, that's the 'problem', as it would restrict me to like only 3 months in 1 year. i did look into Fairmont Banff Springs, but i think the competition is even more intense there compared to CLL. other choice would be Jasper Park, but i feel the lodge while look really nice, is not something unique since that's the kind of accommodation i live at whenever i go to NP

perhaps i might not be so disappointed if i end up in Fairmont Whistler, esp if i go there during the peak wildflower season ... but but ... it just doesnt like look a castle
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by gnomey
yes, my plan is to find an accommodation to apply 2 FN. but it sounds like CLL is not the optimal or best value choice based on the reasons you stated above. plus, it is not as impressive if you stay at CLL but dont get a lake view room... at least that's what i surmise from your response

in that case, in your opinion, what is a best value choice for me to apply FN + 1 suite upgrade + 1 room upgrade? (i believe the latter two are given when you have premier status associated with Chase card). i presume you are probably quite familiar with all the fairmont properties. i probably have scanned the fairmont property list at least 3 times and narrow it down to the ones in Canada and Hawaii...

i like hiking, that's the 'problem', as it would restrict me to like only 3 months in 1 year. i did look into Fairmont Banff Springs, but i think the competition is even more intense there compared to CLL. other choice would be Jasper Park, but i feel the lodge while look really nice, is not something unique since that's the kind of accommodation i live at whenever i go to NP

perhaps i might not be so disappointed if i end up in Fairmont Whistler, esp if i go there during the peak wildflower season ... but but ... it just doesnt like look a castle
I don't think you're going to be able to stack the suite upgrade and room upgrade; normally it's one or the other, and you can add the free night with it.

Banff, if you can find availability is great. The suite upgrade gets you the 1-bed suite, not just the junior suites.

If you can't find availability at Banff or LL, then Whistler is a good option. I've not been there for hiking; only skiing.

Let me throw out two other ideas, if you're looking for mountains and hiking. On the other side of the country, Fairmont Tremblant is a nice place. They have a ton of hiking and bike trails, and the fall colours there can be stunning. Their outdoor hot pools are also very good. Different type of mountains than out west, but still nice. They don't take suite upgrade certs, but you can use a room upgrade and free night.

A little further away, but one of the best value redemptions I ever got with a free night and a suite upgrade cert was at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace in Switzerland. As for hiking opportunities, you're spoiled for choice there. Beautiful town, short train ride from Geneva, stunning mountains and lake, and lots to do in any season.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by stephem
We have the week of April 8-15 off this year for kids spring break and it's a toss up between Whistler (spring conditions i know what we would get) and maybe Banff/lake louise. Anyone here done an early April ski trip to CLL and skied LL or Sunshine? Looks like a solid year so far so i am assuming a decent base, and reports say chance of new snow is far greater in LL than Whisler in early April. Any first hand experiences?
One of the skiing advantages of Whistler over Banff and Lake Louise is the ski-in/ski-out option. Late in the season, however, that advantage doesn't really exist in Whistler, because the snow disappears on the bottom half of the mountain. It's at a much lower elevation, so the bottom of the mountain tends to get a lot of rain.

For skiing in April, I would easily choose Lake Louise and Sunshine over Whistler. They will have the best snow at that time of the year. Sunshine is normally the last ski resort in Canada to close, normally around May 24 weekend, and Lake Louise typically second week of May.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:15 pm

I don't think you're going to be able to stack the suite upgrade and room upgrade; normally it's one or the other, and you can add the free night with it.

Banff, if you can find availability is great. The suite upgrade gets you the 1-bed suite, not just the junior suites.

If you can't find availability at Banff or LL, then Whistler is a good option. I've not been there for hiking; only skiing.

Let me throw out two other ideas, if you're looking for mountains and hiking. On the other side of the country, Fairmont Tremblant is a nice place. They have a ton of hiking and bike trails, and the fall colours there can be stunning. Their outdoor hot pools are also very good. Different type of mountains than out west, but still nice. They don't take suite upgrade certs, but you can use a room upgrade and free night.

A little further away, but one of the best value redemptions I ever got with a free night and a suite upgrade cert was at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace in Switzerland. As for hiking opportunities, you're spoiled for choice there. Beautiful town, short train ride from Geneva, stunning mountains and lake, and lots to do in any season.
I do agree the Fairmont Le Montreux Palace is nice and good value, been there before (but not to stay). And Montreux is simply stunning with its palm trees along L Geneva, against a snow-capped mountain backdrop.

Would be hard-pressed to find time to fly to Europe, since my travel plans for 2017 is already all lined up. But perhaps this is an excuse to go to Switzerland. In fact, if I havent book my travels I would have made a dash to Europe with the USD being so strong over the currencies there now.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Trying to work out the best plan for us when we do a week here in April. We have the LL plus cards and so booked 2 base rooms for C$169 per night for the weekdays, slightly more for weekend days. I am guessing occupancy will be low enough that we can get rooms next to or across from each other and the kids are old enough that this will be fine. But curious what the connecting room possibilities are here? The current rate feels pretty cheap when I convert to USD, so not a big deal to move a room up a couple of levels if it gets us a better layout (connecting room, etc). Also contemplating a suite for C$460 but honestly like the idea of a locked door between us and kids!

Edited to add- seems like this property may be more flexible than others, especially in shoulder season, am I correct that they might allow me to use a Gold upgrade cert from a basic room? Also, any luck getting them to allow use of certs for two rooms on same stay? Doing some calculations, the suite is a good deal for a family because it includes Suite Life benefits (gold floor access, right?)? C$469 for suite vs C$338 for 2 base rooms... that means C$130 per day for Suite Life benes for family of 4.

Last edited by stephem; Jan 24, 2017 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:51 pm

Trying to work out the best plan for us when we do a week here in April. We have the LL plus cards and so booked 2 base rooms for C$169 per night for the weekdays, slightly more for weekend days. I am guessing occupancy will be low enough that we can get rooms next to or across from each other and the kids are old enough that this will be fine. But curious what the connecting room possibilities are here? The current rate feels pretty cheap when I convert to USD, so not a big deal to move a room up a couple of levels if it gets us a better layout (connecting room, etc). Also contemplating a suite for C$460 but honestly like the idea of a locked door between us and kids!

Edited to add- seems like this property may be more flexible than others, especially in shoulder season, am I correct that they might allow me to use a Gold upgrade cert from a basic room? Also, any luck getting them to allow use of certs for two rooms on same stay? Doing some calculations, the suite is a good deal for a family because it includes Suite Life benefits (gold floor access, right?)? C$469 for suite vs C$338 for 2 base rooms... that means C$130 per day for Suite Life benes for family of 4.
Suite Life benefits, which come with bookings of 1 and 2 bed suites, do not include gold floor access. The daily breakfast that is included is not in the gold lounge but in either the Poppie Brasserie or in-room dining.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:55 pm

Suite Life benefits, which come with bookings of 1 and 2 bed suites, do not include gold floor access. The daily breakfast that is included is not in the gold lounge but in either the Poppie Brasserie or in-room dining.
Ahh, makes sense...

I think breakfast is the main expense I'd be interested in offsetting (we liked doing the 40 min drive to Banff after skiing and hitting a restaurant there for dinner).

I guess the options are:
(1) base rooms- $169*2= $338 per night no breakfeast etc.
(2) deluxe room- $269*2-$538 per night, but only able to use one gold upgrade cert so this doesnt really work
(3) 1 bdrm+base room- $469+$169= $638 per night, breakfast for one room covered.

Really no way to get Gold benes or breakfast covered for both rooms without buying up quite a bit. I guess we will go with the cheap base rooms, great deal in USD, even paying for breakfast that is likely to be very reasonable in the end.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 2:08 pm

Ahh, makes sense...

I think breakfast is the main expense I'd be interested in offsetting (we liked doing the 40 min drive to Banff after skiing and hitting a restaurant there for dinner).

I guess the options are:
(1) base rooms- $169*2= $338 per night no breakfeast etc.
(2) deluxe room- $269*2-$538 per night, but only able to use one gold upgrade cert so this doesnt really work
(3) 1 bdrm+base room- $469+$169= $638 per night, breakfast for one room covered.

Really no way to get Gold benes or breakfast covered for both rooms without buying up quite a bit. I guess we will go with the cheap base rooms, great deal in USD, even paying for breakfast that is likely to be very reasonable in the end.
I would say there is no official way to get gold benefits but if you call the property directly you might work out a deal. Use your gold upgrade to officially get one room and make a deal with a suite upgrade cert by perhaps buying a slightly higher room to begin with. Might be worth a phone call. It might not be worth it if all you want is breakfast and don't care much about gold floor otherwise.

The 1 bed lake view suites there are very nice, and you could put two kids in the living room on the pull-out if you wanted. 2 base rooms might end up being about the same size.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:17 pm

I guess we will go with the cheap base rooms, great deal in USD, even paying for breakfast that is likely to be very reasonable in the end.
I got the LL card too just to stay here. Coming up after the US resorts close to extend the season.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:15 pm

I was able to get a suite certificate applied to one of the rooms, $169 + a cert is a pretty "suite" deal ;-)

Does that room then get Suite Life benefits?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:28 pm

I was able to get a suite certificate applied to one of the rooms, $169 + a cert is a pretty "suite" deal ;-)

Does that room then get Suite Life benefits?
Which suite did you book? I don't believe the Junior Suites get those benefits. I think it's only 1-Bedroom and up. But, I could be wrong. I have received those benefits when using upgrade certs into 1 Bedroom Suites.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:57 pm

Which suite did you book? I don't believe the Junior Suites get those benefits. I think it's only 1-Bedroom and up. But, I could be wrong. I have received those benefits when using upgrade certs into 1 Bedroom Suites.
Ah yes, is indeed only a juniior suite and the rate rules only specify sweet life benefits for actual 1 bedroom. I may ask about the 1 bedroom, it's a tiny price increase from junior to that (under $50cdn for the rate plan I am booked under). Or maybe I can ask if they can apply the Gold upgrade to the other room...

But then again, maybe we should just buy breakfast every morning and spend some money at the property! With the costco certificates (20% off) mentioned elsewhere we are getting perilously close to $100usd per night base rate per room ;-)
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:08 am

Just checked in yesterday evening. Booked a base room using the Louise Plus card and used multiple certs to get into the Lakeview junior suite. Junior suite indeed junior, but nice to have the sitting area. Had a very nice late dinner at fairview, however waiter became surly when we didn't order wine and only one of us got an appetizer.
So far this place is a big step up from the Chateau Whistler.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Just checked in yesterday evening. Booked a base room using the Louise Plus card and used multiple certs to get into the Lakeview junior suite. Junior suite indeed junior, but nice to have the sitting area. Had a very nice late dinner at fairview, however waiter became surly when we didn't order wine and only one of us got an appetizer.
So far this place is a big step up from the Chateau Whistler.
How was the overall stay? How was the skiing? It looks like it has really warmed up quite a bit the last couple of weeks, we are planning to be there during the second week of April... expecting very Spring conditions based on current weather trend.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:01 pm

How was the overall stay? How was the skiing? It looks like it has really warmed up quite a bit the last couple of weeks, we are planning to be there during the second week of April... expecting very Spring conditions based on current weather trend.
If you have any particular questions about the hotel feel free to ask. I have over 10 stays at this hotel, on my 10th stay they gave me free upgrade to gold floor even. Most recently I was here for the past Christmas for a few nights. It's a large hotel and for it's size the service is good overall. I was never a fan of their dining options, Walliser Stube being my 1st choice. However on our last stay all the food was really good. The new lounge downstairs is a nice upgrade.

As for the skiing in April in Alberta you never know. You could have fresh powder, sketchy ice or wonderful spring skiing conditions were you will get a faster tan than in Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.